Difference between tomtom truck/normal tomtom+truck sd card?

I’m in need of a new satnav as my old one broke. I need it to tell me the eta based in truck speeds, I also plan on having my class 1 licence soon so the ability to direct around low bridges etc would also be useful as I do t fancy having to reverse out of a sticky situation like that in an artic lol.

Just wondered what the difference is between the car tomtoms with the truck software loaded as seen on eBay and the actual truck specific ones is the tomtom 7100?

I have just got myself a TomTom 5150. Smashing bit of kit. It’s worth a look

I use a normal car Tomtom but am running truck navcore and truck maps from an SD Card.

It displays car speed limits (e.g. 70 on dual carriageways) whilst you’re driving but the arrival times are very accurate for truck speeds. I set the truck profile speed 1 or 2 mph below my actual top speed and with the usual bit of traffic the arrival times are always accurate to within 5 minutes over a 4.5hr drive.

Mike_:
I use a normal car Tomtom but am running truck navcore and truck maps from an SD Card.

It displays car speed limits (e.g. 70 on dual carriageways) whilst you’re driving but the arrival times are very accurate for truck speeds. I set the truck profile speed 1 or 2 mph below my actual top speed and with the usual bit of traffic the arrival times are always accurate to within 5 minutes over a 4.5hr drive.

+1

I run a 540 with truck navcore and map, it’s pretty good - none are 100% though, so be aware of that!!

Hi Guys, I too have a Tom Tom 510, where do I get a Truck SD card for it?

Thanks

Sapper

Mike_:

+1

I run a Go730 with the truck nav and maps on an SD card. Never had a problem with it.

sapper:
Hi Guys, I too have a Tom Tom 510, where do I get a Truck SD card for it?

Thanks

Sapper

get a 4 gig sd card and go here
navitotal.com/showthread.php … -TRUCK-Map

its all free and good help as well.

Truck navcore 9.7 is supposed to be a bit buggy on some devices so I’ve not upgraded to it yet.

I can vouch for 8.398 being reliable though.

Mike_:
Truck navcore 9.7 is supposed to be a bit buggy on some devices so I’ve not upgraded to it yet.

im using 9.7 and yep its buggy, arrival time is always wrong. shows 4 hours to do a 3 hour drive.that sort of thing.
go for 8.398 as said thats alot better but not sure if it works with very latest map.

Mike_:

Ditto.

I use it on a Go 630.

Ken.

gezt:

Mike_:

im using 9.7 and yep its buggy, arrival time is always wrong. shows 4 hours to do a 3 hour drive.that sort of thing.
go for 8.398 as said thats alot better but not sure if it works with very latest map.

I found the same om my GO730, arrival times where terrible. I went back to 8.398

I’m using maps v900.4612 with 8.398 with no problems. They’re not the most recent maps but do the job.

The only pain with this navcore is that it often complains “no truck route found, do you want to use a car route” (or similar) when setting a destination. I just tap “yes” and there’s no problems from there on.

Mike_:
I’m using maps v900.4612 with 8.398 with no problems. They’re not the most recent maps but do the job.

The only pain with this navcore is that it often complains “no truck route found, do you want to use a car route” (or similar) when setting a destination. I just tap “yes” and there’s no problems from there on.

doesn’t that defeat the object of having a truck map.maybe you have been/are lucky :slight_smile: , when i tried that once it was gonna send me down a road with a low bridge on it. :frowning:

The route it uses is still ok and routes around bridges, etc it just seems to be the last few hundred metres to the destination that confuses it.

Actually, thinking about it I suspect the problem is down to the POI files that I’m using. If I navigate to a postcode/address it doesn’t happen, but if I use the POI file that contains my work drops I get this all the time.

I suspect that this is due to the POI files being generated from destinations that I “favourited” whilst using previous maps, then being fed through POIedit to create the POI file, then imported into the current map.

I have used Tom Tom devices since the original Tom Tom go 8 yrs approx.
Using a genuine Tom Tom sd card with the truck maps etc are just as good because you can update it all the time.

I use the Tom Tom 5150 since it came out, and yes it’s the best truck nav out there, in my opinion. You get 12 months. Free live services. And yes if it knows of a quicker route because of traffic hold ups it will route you hgv friendly.

Also you get free lifetime map updates too.

I personally would not buy an sd card with so called truck maps from eBay as you will find you will not get updates.

If you buy a car Tom Tom and put in a truck sd card it may not last very long, unless the machine is brand new with warranty.

gezt:

Mike_:

I lost the ’ and " option on sizes, I’ve read how to get around it, but as I change trailer about 4 times per day, I’ve stuck with 8.398

I personally would not buy an sd card with so called truck maps from eBay as you will find you will not get updates.

If you buy a car Tom Tom and put in a truck sd card it may not last very long, unless the machine is brand new with warranty.

You still have the option to update,just download the latest map for free. simples :slight_smile:

Mike_:

If it cant find a truck route, it’s probably because your start point or your destination is inside a weight limit or some other truck restriction, at least is was when it happened to me.
best plan is to scroll to your destination and look for possible restrictions, low bridges, narrow roads etc, then select a point on a main road close to your destination and navigate there and try remember the way from there.
Its also a good idea to create a poi category to save your locations in instead of using favorites as memory space for favorites is limited and when near full will cause your tomtom to crash (tested on x20,x30 and x40 devices)

greggy:

Nor would I, I just bought a blank SD card then I download new maps for free whenever I need them. You can still get the minor map updates via TomTom Home.

greggy:

I’ve bought two reconditioned units from ebay and both have lasted years running truck navcore/maps from an SD card.

205:
If it cant find a truck route, it’s probably because your start point or your destination is inside a weight limit or some other truck restriction, at least is was when it happened to me.

Actually, that’s possible since I usually set the POI location as the actual delivery gatehouse or yard rather than the closest road. This probably confuses the unit into thinking I’m not going to be able to turn round or something.

I only use favourites temporarily - whenever I update my maps I merge new favourites into existing POI files using POIEdit.