Diff lock ?

Hello all, and welcome to the first of what could be many threads by me, asking for help with my pitiful knowledge of trucks and trucking. I know what it does, but typically, how do you turn it on and off?

Sorry it’s round the wrong way but hopefully that helps

Thanks mate.

Push the switch down to turn it on, a light should come on on the dash, same way to turn it off.

We were told to use it while driving the bin lorries to help get out of tight situations but there was a price to be paid and that was the massive tail swing it produced because the axles were near enough pivoting, so just be careful when you use it. Sometimes it takes a while for it to fully disengage so just be careful too.

Most important, make sure it disengages after use, possibly by shunting backwards and forwards in a straight line only after switching the lock off, sometimes they stick on, if you fail to disengage the diff lock and attempt to turn the truck sharply, (progressively worse case being loaded on a grippy surface), you can wind up the transmission and snap a half shaft or worse.

If you don’t have a warning light, you should be able to ‘feel’ the transmission tightening up as you try to turn and the vehicle might want to drive straight on too, particularly if you have a double drive.