Diesel fuel in small vans

We havea small renault trafic van at work. Inside is a 450 litre truck tank to carry red diesel to fill up various plant equipment that our company operates. Is this legal under ADR. Should the van be stickered accordingly and should the fuel tank be visible and marked clearly■■?

To my knowledge diesel is only a class 3 flammable liquid. Anything upto a 1000Litres or 1 tonne is out of scope and doesn’t fall under ADR ruling however a ADR sticker and plate probs wouldn’t go a miss if ur running it full time just helps the fire service knw if there ever was an accident etc

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … ote-23.pdf

hse.gov.uk/cdg/manual/common … owsers.htm

I was right :slight_smile: I am learning :slight_smile: haha

Greg Blackburn:
To my knowledge diesel is only a class 3 flammable liquid. Anything upto a 1000Litres or 1 tonne is out of scope and doesn’t fall under ADR ruling however a ADR sticker and plate probs wouldn’t go a miss if ur running it full time just helps the fire service knw if there ever was an accident etc

Point 1 correct, point 2 NO!

You can put some warning stickers on, but DO NOT show plates (assume you mean orange plates) as that is not allowed unless you’re in ADR regs.

That’s what I was meaning the little orange triangle stickers

Greg Blackburn:

surely you mean little RED triangle ?

Miduck69:
We havea small renault trafic van at work. Inside is a 450 litre truck tank to carry red diesel to fill up various plant equipment that our company operates. Is this legal under ADR.

Hi Miduck69,

Sorry mate, but using a truck tank for this isn’t legal.

The reason is that your firm should be using a UN approved package to contain the diesel.

UN approved packages come in various forms and sizes, but I’d say that your firm’s choice will end up being to choose between a drum (or several drums) or an IBC.

The UN approval mark consists of the letters “UN” in a circle, and nearby there will be an alpha-numeric code.

The likely code for a drum will start with 1A1 or 1H1, and for an IBC it should start with either 31A or 31HA.

Something like this:

UN package code 1A1.JPG

I’d advise that for simplicity you should choose drums, because IBCs are subject to periodic retesting and recertification.

Miduck69:
Should the van be stickered accordingly and should the fuel tank be visible and marked clearly■■?

Provided that you carry no more than 1,000 litres of diesel, your van won’t need any markings and you won’t need an ADR licence or any special kit or paperwork.
When carrying diesel, if you exceed 1,000 litres THEN you need an ADR licence and all applicable ADR requirements will then apply to the job.

However…
You WILL need 1 X 2kg ADR compliant dry powder fire extinguisher and the correct markings on whichever type of UN approved package you choose.
Once you’ve made your choice, I can give you further advice. :smiley:

Latique:

Greg Blackburn:

surely you mean little RED triangle ?

Now then chaps… a triangle has three sides. :wink:

Lots of people call this a diamond, but it’s actually a square (four sides of equal length) which is set at 45 degrees

L3.jpg

So if anything over 1000ltrs requires adr, how come my last truck had 1200ltr tanks?

Because in that case it is not the “transportation” of hazardous goods

daleyboy:
So if anything over 1000ltrs requires adr, how come my last truck had 1200ltr tanks?

because its the means to fuel the engine of the vehicle and is not the transportation of goods . you could also be carried on a low loader with full tanks due to a break down and still not come in to adr same as self propelled plant and machinery

daleyboy:

Hi daleyboy,

As already mentioned, the fuel for the propulsion of your vehicle isn’t what’s being transported.

The limit for fuel for your own vehicle’s propulsion is 1,500 litres, which is a maximum.

The exemption for diesel fuel carried as cargo is 1,000 litres, but that is a completely different exemption because it relates to cargo carried.

Ah ok thanks for clearing that up chaps