diesel adr

Hi, what is the maximum amount of diesel that can be carried in a single drum tank etc without Adr someone has told me you can carry 1000 ltrs in total but only 450 ltrs in a single drum/tank.

Thanks in advance

cyboard:
Hi, what is the maximum amount of diesel that can be carried in a single drum tank etc without Adr someone has told me you can carry 1000 ltrs in total but only 450 ltrs in a single drum/tank.

Thanks in advance

Hi cyboard,

There might be a little misunderstanding going on, and it’s true to say that ADR does indeed set limits on the sizes of packages, but that’s an entirely a separate matter to how much you can carry without an ADR licence.

Drums
ADR sets the maximum capacity of a drum at no more than 450 liters, but the maximum net mass of a drum cannot be more than 400kg.
It’s also correct to say that the limit for Diesel in drums (carried as cargo) is 1,000 liters, but since most drums are 200 liters, you could legally carry five of those without needing an ADR licence.

Tanks
Could you describe what you’re calling a “tank” please?

Hi Dave thanks for the reply the tanks we carry are 1000 ltr bunded steel diesel tanks so would you need adr to carry these as you can get over 450 ltrs in them?

Regards

cyboard:
Hi Dave thanks for the reply the tanks we carry are 1000 ltr bunded steel diesel tanks so would you need adr to carry these as you can get over 450 ltrs in them?

Regards

Hi cyboard,

I didn’t like to say so, but I thought you meant those, but they don’t count as a tank in ADR. :wink:

The proper name for one those is a “bunded IBC,” which ADR counts as a package.

Now we know what’s what, you can carry one 1,000 liter bunded IBC containing diesel without an ADR licence, OR 5 X 200 liter drums for your 1,000 liter ADR freeby. :smiley:

BTW, the fuel in your own vehicle’s fuel tank doesn’t count towards that total. :wink:

The requirements of ADR that DO apply to that job are that you must have 1 X 2kg ADR compliant dry-powder fire-extinguisher and the drums/IBC must be correctly secured on the vehicle.

I hope that helps. :smiley:

Hi,
Just a general question about ADR im due to collect two IBC’S ( 1000 litre bunded tanks) can someone please let me know exactly what PPE I need for this job also I have wheel chocks and fire extinguishers warning triangles, torch, orange plates is this all I need ?

Thanks in advance

Cyboard

cyboard:
Hi,
Just a general question about ADR im due to collect two IBC’S ( 1000 litre bunded tanks) can someone please let me know exactly what PPE I need for this job also I have wheel chocks and fire extinguishers warning triangles, torch, orange plates is this all I need ?

Thanks in advance

Cyboard

Hi Cyboard,

ADR applies in full to the movement of 2 X 1,000 liter IBCs containing Diesel.

Here’s a list of what PPE and equipment you’ll need.

For the vehicle.

• a suitable wheel chock
  • two self-standing warning signs
  • eye rinsing liquid

Notes:
For a UK domestic journey using a W&D or an artic, ONE wheel chock is sufficient. The UK has a derogation from ADR, which allows this.
For an international journey, (when UK derogations don’t apply) you would need TWO wheel chocks on such vehicles.
A rigid vehicle would need only one wheel-chock whether it’s on national or international work.

The “self-standing warning signs” can be cones, warning triangles or amber flashing lights or any other suitable device meeting the requirements.

The UK guidance from the HSE is that eye rinsing liquid should be one liter in total.

The above is per vehicle.

Additionally, for each person on board the vehicle.

• a warning vest ( = Hi-Viz.)
  • portable lighting apparatus (= a torch, which must be functional.)
  • a pair of protective gloves
    (I recommend PVC gloves, because PVC is resistant to most chemicals.)
  • eye protection ( = a pair of goggles giving complete eye protection.)

The load comprises of UN Class 3, so you will need the following additional items per vehicle.

• a shovel
  • a drain seal
  • a collecting container.

Of course, all equipment should be of an approved type (CE mark) be ‘in date’ where necessary and be undamaged and in working order.

Any other equipment not mentioned above would be “over and above” minimum requirements, such as a spillage kit, first-aid box and spare batteries/bulbs for the torch. It’s worth considering these extra items though, because of their usefulness.

An extra point about a standard “portable lighting apparatus” (torch.) This is fine for walk around daily checks etc, but there’s an important point about them that should not go unnoticed…

The portable lighting apparatus used shall not exhibit any metal surface liable to produce sparks

There’s also a requirement that the load compartment of a vehicle carry flammables of UN Classes 2.1 (flammable gases) or (most) UN Class 3 (flammable liquids) are only entered by a person carrying a torch which is:

so designed and constructed that they cannot ignite any flammable vapours or gases which may have penetrated into the interior of the vehicle.

This type of torch is usually known as “intrinsically safe.”

Documentation.
You will need:

• an original ADR licence for “packages” and UN Class 3
  • an ADR compliant ‘transport document.’
  • and the correct version of the ADR Instructions In Writing

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the above you are a total star can you please tell me where I will find the correct version of the ADR Instructions In Writing ?

Also is there a site to download a transport document so my firm can fill it in because when i tell them i need a transport document i just get blank faces all round.

Sorry for being a pain

Cyboard.

cyboard:
Thanks for that you are an absolute star.

Cyboard

No probs mate, glad you’re sorted. :smiley:

Here’s what happens to those who haven’t got the right kit if stop-checked:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the above you are a total star can you please tell me where I will find the correct version of the ADR Instructions In Writing ?

Also is there a site to download a transport document so my firm can fill it in because when i tell them i need a transport document i just get blank faces all round.

Sorry for being a pain

Cyboard.

cyboard:
Hi Dave,

Sorry for being a pain

Cyboard.

Hi Cyboard,

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but this is exactly the reason that your firm are required to appoint a DGSA. :wink:

Please PM me an email addy, and I’ll send you an up-to-date Instructions In Writing.

I’ll make a mock-up of a transport document and post it here as a picture, but this will take a little time, so please be patient. :wink:

Are any of the following tunnels on your route please:

Dartford
Tyne
Mersey
Blackwall
Limehouse
East India Dock Road
Heathrow

An ADR Transport Document can be quite a simple piece of paper.

Some common myths:
It must have red edges = Wrong.
It must be on company headed notepaper = Wrong

What this document for Diesel carried in packages MUST have:

Consignor’s and consignee’s names and addresses

UN number, Proper Shipping Name (PSN) UN Class number and Packing Group (PG)
Number and kind of packages + Total volume.

ADR Transport Document.jpg

The info can appear anywhere on the document, but the UN Number, PSN, Class and PG cannot be dispersed around the document and MUST appear in that order.

The only thing not mentioned yet is the labelling requirements for the IBCs, so hopefully you’ve got that sorted too. :smiley:

I hope this helps.