Did you know my old man?

Hello all, I’m new too this forum! I’m not a driver but my father was. Sadly he’s no longer with us having passed away unexpectadly nearly six years ago! A freind of mine suggested this site to me so I was wondering if anybody out there new him or could share some tales with me?
His name was John Dockerty…( Johnny Dock, John Dock, or Peanut ) he drove for R G Bassett & Sons based in Tittensor, Barleston Stoke-on-Trent for over 30 years !
I spent every oppertunity I could as kid tramping around this country with him & have many fond memories of places, characters & trucks…from as far back as his first wagon which was an Albion eight legger right up too his last a Scania which was originally owned by Beresfords of Tunstall before Bassett’s took their opperations over, this was the wagon he finally achieved a long life ambition…to drive a broad!!! maybe you might remember the IVECO he drove around about 84 to 87 with the bucket like noddy light on the roof, this truck was renowned because it was something Bassetts were’nt in favour of having in their fleet!!
Some of his old mates nanes escape me now but I do remember some, Bob Ellis, Roy Beech, Stevie Card, Phil Chell, Sir Joe Reece & finally Tony Harry who fetch him back from Germany after he fell from a load over there & ended up in hospital, Tony flew out there then drove my old fella’s load back with him sitting in the passengers seat in plaster guiding him back as Tony had’nt driven across the water before!
I hope you can help, it would be great to hear some old tales or some familiar names…many thanks Tim!!!

whoolyback:
Hello all, I’m new too this forum! I’m not a driver but my father was. Sadly he’s no longer with us having passed away unexpectadly nearly six years ago! A freind of mine suggested this site to me so I was wondering if anybody out there new him or could share some tales with me?
His name was John Dockerty…( Johnny Dock, John Dock, or Peanut ) he drove for R G Bassett & Sons based in Tittensor, Barleston Stoke-on-Trent for over 30 years !
I spent every oppertunity I could as kid tramping around this country with him & have many fond memories of places, characters & trucks…from as far back as his first wagon which was an Albion eight legger right up too his last a Scania which was originally owned by Beresfords of Tunstall before Bassett’s took their opperations over, this was the wagon he finally achieved a long life ambition…to drive a broad!!! maybe you might remember the IVECO he drove around about 84 to 87 with the bucket like noddy light on the roof, this truck was renowned because it was something Bassetts were’nt in favour of having in their fleet!!
Some of his old mates nanes escape me now but I do remember some, Bob Ellis, Roy Beech, Stevie Card, Phil Chell, Sir Joe Reece & finally Tony Harry who fetch him back from Germany after he fell from a load over there & ended up in hospital, Tony flew out there then drove my old fella’s load back with him sitting in the passengers seat in plaster guiding him back as Tony had’nt driven across the water before!
I hope you can help, it would be great to hear some old tales or some familiar names…many thanks Tim!!!

Start here and have a look through. Maybe post this on the stoke thread too. Do a search using Beresfords although Flatmans pictures seem to be off at the moment.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=21834&start=0&hilit=beresfords

Thanks WHEEL NUT!!..As I said he did’nt actually drive for Beresfords, He spent all his driving life at Bassetts. Unfortunatly I don’t have any photos to post! He knew a lot of blokes from other firms…Critchlows, Shirleys, Daveys, Turnocks, Stan Robinsons, Archlids…I’m sure there’s many more!!!

[/quote]
Start here and have a look through. Maybe post this on the stoke thread too. Do a search using Beresfords although Flatmans pictures seem to be off at the moment.
[/quote]
There are some of Bassetts on this page.
johnslorryphotos.fotopic.net/c1820269_121.html

Thanks FLATMAN ! I recognise most of those motors especially G474 BRE which was Stevie Card’s Sedd Acky & GRE 69K which my old fella had for a while. If I’m not mistaken that Foden Mickey Mouse had a coach diff in it, you should’ve seen that old girl go, I remember running up too John o Groats with BAL adhesives & having too sleep on a bit of hard board placed from one too the other across the cab :smiley: . I’ve had a look through the stoke thread but no mention of any Bassetts lads, so I’ll post my question…Thanx a lot

There is a very good book ;- Bassetts of Tittensor 100 Years of Transport.

Thanks again FLATMAN…I have the 100 yrs book, my Dad bought it, although he used too moan about the firm I think he took some pride in working for them :laughing:

whoolyback:

HE used run with my dad george crane, i parked up with you both when i went with him a few times, i always used call your dad grumpy grandad

lou:

whoolyback:

HE used run with my dad george crane, i parked up with you both when i went with him a few times, i always used call your dad grumpy grandad

Sorry Lou, Not been back here for a while! My memory is’nt that good since I had a bump on the head in a car crash, your dad George, did he smoke a pipe & drive an ERF ? Youre right about grumpy grandad :laughing: :laughing: can’t picture you though mate!

it gordon used wifes name so remember login name, yes he used smoke a pipe, bob ellis went sainsburys, eric beech still on there, i did all my licenses on there and helped your dad few times strap up down tilbury when they had filled it full,