Did you drive to Europe, (or beyond), in the 60`s or before

Evening all, its been yet another terrible day, trying to extricate what is left from our potatoe harvest from the water soaked fields. Returning home, my good lady said, "you are too old, for this work, most men at your age have retired"! ,.....I was sad, for suddenly I realised that , true, Im getting on, and the memories that I have, (that seem so recent), yet are probably are not, are of a “happy age”, when we were all adventurers, and the world was our oyster!!

I read on these threads fascinating stories of personal experience travelling through Europe and beyond,…but it all seems to be about “big” Scanias, and Volvos, the 70s and 80s, or even the 90s. I recall the great adventure that I found in 60s France, and Italy, (so remote without the “pipes” of the 70`s). A new world, of enormous lorries, with bonnets so long, and wheels and tyres that dwarfed my “little” Foden!!

Of transport “accomodation”, and food of a standard, that was un buyable to a youngster in the UK. That meeting another UK driver, was in itself an occasion to be celebrated, (who was the man I met by the reservoir at the top of Mt Cenis, driving a Commer in 64)■■ I know that he was from Lancashire, and his name was Alec, …but that is all!

Maybe, that there is the basis of an interesting thread here, …or sadly, maybe not…for we are all getting older, (as my good lady reminded me), I do hope that there are some memories to share,…because you could “do” Italy, on a lot less than 500hp…could we not!!!

Bon chance mes amis, I`m away to the Bollinger, to think of happy days, and “real” drivers! Cheerio for now.

Thank God us old lads have our memories. Long may they last.
They WERE happy days. :slight_smile:

I did 2 or 3 trips mating on the big outfits 67/68 one to Antwerp and two to Rotterdam but we off loaded into barges on the docks and then 68 I took a couple of loads to Toulouse a rolls engine from Derby and a wing section from Preston for Concorde with a Bedford TK artic and then I went over with a Scammell highwayman with a extruding machine which was either late 69 or early 70. and for the next 7 years I was going over quite often in an Atkinson and then a Scammell Crusader but all British wagons.
cheers Johnnie