Did I wake up on another planet,

So I’m back on the job market and ventured into agency land. It seems that they have plenty of work, great rates and an interesting variety.

It seems to vanish when you don’t want to be Ltd, they appear to ■■■■ lemons when you tell them you will not go through an umbrella scheme.

Do agencies not “Employ” drivers anymore?

Strange times eh.

I wouldn’t touch an agency with a bargepole…

The ‘smarter’…

Agencies (today’s oxymoron) will take you on PAYE. The lot that I’m with have ditched the brolly scheme altogether. I think they realised that they could be liable for any tax shortfall that may have been judged by HMRC.

Keep looking but, don’t be fooled by the ‘all shifts, all jobs and all areas’ bullsquirt cos that’s exactly what it is.

I started looking at getting back on the road a few months ago,saw quite a few ads from agencies,all promising strangely high hourly rate,the hours you want and as much work and overtime as you want… Yeah…
Luckily i didn’t email my details but instead called them,none of the jobs they had advertised existed.
One ad was “we need to find 20-30 drivers for a new contract”,actually they didn’t need any at all.
Whatever you do,do NOT give them your details,i’ve always been warned of agencies but it seems they are actually worse than their reputation…

I’m on two agencies. One used to ring me up with a job and when I’d say only PAYE they’d end the conversation. They don’t ring anymore

I’ve got the impression they ‘offer’ various openings with words such as new drivers welcome and good money but reality is, they just want you to get on their books then say the particular job you were looking at has been taken but they have others at ■■■■■ money and long hours. I signed up with driver hire and had this one put on me, also once I finished the paperwork and test they do I had to see the manager for a chat which basically was about going through one of their umbrella’s, walked out and not done a day for them.

andy_s:
I signed up with driver hire and had this one put on me, also once I finished the paperwork and test they do I had to see the manager for a chat which basically was about going through one of their umbrella’s, walked out and not done a day for them.

I’ve been with Driver Hire nearly 5 months now, was put straight on PAYE and have worked most of the days I’ve wanted to :slight_smile:

Probably not the same branch…

I’m also with Driverhire. Have been for about 18 months on PAYE. When I first started kept asking me to go on umbrella but said I didn’t want to and they stopped asking after a month or so. Plenty work and good variety.

Mystery Action:
I’m also with Driverhire. Have been for about 18 months on PAYE. When I first started kept asking me to go on umbrella but said I didn’t want to and they stopped asking after a month or so. Plenty work and good variety.

Have you not been tempted to look for a permanent job now that you’ve built up over a year experience?

KTMrider:

Mystery Action:

Have you not been tempted to look for a permanent job now that you’ve built up over a year experience?

Got plenty experience. Had my licence for about 30 years. Agency suits me, can take time off when I want and turn down jobs I don’t fancy while getting lots of variety.

oops sorry :blush:

saw you only joined here in April,so made an ■■■ of U & ME :laughing: