Did I read it right?

Had a quick glance at a magazine in the office yesterday and i’m sure i read that in Germany during the winter months trucks now need snow tyres fitted at £2500 per truck ■■?

Yes.

Oh dear, no more sharing 1 set if chains about then…

truckertang:
Oh dear, no more sharing 1 set if chains about then…

Don’t be silly, of course we’ll continue to share 1 set of chains about :smiley:

Don’t be silly, of course we’ll continue to share 1 set of chains about :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

truckertang:
Had a quick glance at a magazine in the office yesterday and i’m sure i read that in Germany during the winter months trucks now need snow tyres fitted at £2500 per truck ■■?

Well I should have explained that it it isn’t snow tyres exactly, it’s winter tyres.
Winter tyres have a better tread pattern for traction in poor conditions and a different compound that stays flexible at low temperatures, below 7C. Snow tyres are designed purely for snow driving.
It isn’t anything new either. This has been the rule for most of Europe for quite a few years ( ten or more ? )

It’s not exactly clear cut either. You have to have them in certain regions & anywhere it snows but not all the time.
We don’t bother changing but rarely go further than the Ruhr valley. Not had any trouble from bag etc. so far.

truckertang:

Where do you buy your tyres? that makes 625 quid a piece, drive only ,no steer or tag axel.

Geoff

Well, it’s winter tyres, so all-season ones with ‘M+S’ will do. Plus you only need them on drive axle for vehicles with GVW>3.5t.
Plus the law says ‘driving in winter conditions such as snow, ice, sleet’ so when you park up when any of these appear and wait for them to disappear you are OK with summer tyres…

gbtransp:

truckertang:

Where do you buy your tyres? that makes 625 quid a piece, drive only ,no steer or tag axel.

Geoff

A brand new latest model of Michelin tyre + fitting and balancing will not be far off that, I’d guess

It just so happened that the ATS man (from over the road) popped over to say they have a deal on m&s tyres… I knew they did nice food & clothes but truck tyres c’mon :slight_smile:

Hi all.I think we have to be a bit careful here.It is ok to say ‘‘park up when you see bad weather’’,but unless you are Mystic Meg you cannot see what ‘‘may’’ be coming regards weather.Also,if you are parked up by the authorities then your customer ain’t gonna be very happy if you phone and say ‘‘i’ll be there when the weather clears,about March’’.
Due to the vast amount of winter accidents due to poor equipment,many countries throughout Europe have sharpened their controls for trucks [and fines], especially in the area of tyres and chains due to so many trucks from different countries being poorly equipped for ‘‘possible winter conditions’’.
Unfortunately as the driver you are responsible so could have problems if anything happens such as going off the road and\or being involved in an accident.Plus you or the company can have problems with the insurance company if anything happens in which you are involved and are deemed to have ‘‘insufficient equipment for the conditions’’.Mike