jobcentre website:
Wage
£367.50 PER WEEK

Hours
52.5 PER WEEK MONDAY - FRIDAY BETWEEN 19.30-6AM

Duration
Permanent

Description
HGV class 1 night driver with no more than 3 points. Duties include collecting trailer from our location in Rochdale and taking to Lichfield. Unload at Lichfield and reload for Rochdale. You will have a min 3 hours waiting on site for reloading. Non smoking environment.

So, based on 52.5 hrs per week on nights, that works out around 7 quid an hour?

I’m assuming they’re deducting the 3hrs waiting time, that would make it a nice 37.5hr week :slight_smile:

Looks like a pallet network job

Whereabouts in the north can you afford to live on that? I thought it was cheap costs of living etc, but looking at housing in Warrington and supermarket prices in the area (for a transfer job), it seems not.

Maybe you’re supposed to live with your mum or something…? Aged 40+! :open_mouth:

I had this attitude over the years a couple of times with pallet exchange jobs, the fact that you can get your head down for a few hours (not your fault) makes some company’s feel they do not have to pay you a decent wage, one said “we are not going to pay you for sleeping”, I pointed out that at 02.00 in the morning in a Lichfield pallet express yard there was not a lot else to do.

Winseer:
Whereabouts in the north can you afford to live on that? I thought it was cheap costs of living etc, but looking at housing in Warrington and supermarket prices in the area (for a transfer job), it seems not.

Maybe you’re supposed to live with your mum or something…? Aged 40+! :open_mouth:

Warrington isn’t a cheap place anyway, but your point is valid

I’ve done the lichfield run to Palletways, and the Burton one up the road for palletforce.

I got to spend 3 hours in the tip queue every night at lichfield, and by the time you’re done, and it’s OK to park up whilst waiting for your backload, you get about 1hr maybe 90 mins on a good night. Perhaps the other full timer got to make all the time, but if you can’t get the 3 hour kip on ALL nights, then having it as unpaid POA let alone paid hours is useless. Palletforce works a little better, but I didn’t get a sniff of being tipped quick enough to get my head down for 3 hours regardless! :frowning:

…And it’s an absolute killer driving around the M25 near heathrow on the way home around 7-8am nodding away like one of those drinking dippy duck things…

That was easily a 75 hour a week job, with POA being used to cut out paid hours to keep it legal. The “safety” issues are obviously brushed under the carpet. :cry:

There was an advert in my locale for jobs going to those depots full time recently, and they were offering £500pw salaried, but for a 75 hour week it’s still crap! :imp:
At least on agency you get paid the 14 hours for it, which makes it OK to do on the odd night here and there. Fridays are no good, because everyone else is on a flyer, and you’ll get hardly enough “down time” to get your 45 in - let alone any sleep! :angry:

If Warrington is regarded as “upmarket”, then where ARE the cheap places in that neck of the woods?
I was motoring around Yorkshire (selby, york, middlesborough, redcar, whitby,hull,donny) and the housing seemed expensive, food in shops dear, the need to expend lots of fuel endemic, and most of all - low pay everywhere around EXCEPT where do people get the money to drive the high numbers of 4x4’s around? All the big local cities seem to have financial firms named after them, and the poorest guy around seems to be me, cos I’m watching my pennies after getting ripped off once in Blackpool when renting out digs. :angry:

Winseer:
If Warrington is regarded as “upmarket”, then where ARE the cheap places in that neck of the woods?
I was motoring around Yorkshire (selby, york, middlesborough, redcar, whitby,hull,donny) and the housing seemed expensive, food in shops dear, the need to expend lots of fuel endemic, and most of all - low pay everywhere around EXCEPT where do people get the money to drive the high numbers of 4x4’s around? All the big local cities seem to have financial firms named after them, and the poorest guy around seems to be me, cos I’m watching my pennies after getting ripped off once in Blackpool when renting out digs. :angry:

Cheap for housing costs are places like Clayton (Manchester), Oldham (Manchester) - seeing a pattern here? But, that doesn’t help with fuel costs for travel, so if the job’s in Warrington, then Sankey sort of area is best, but still not cheap. You can literally pick houses up in Clayton and Oldham for 30 grand still :open_mouth:

But, once house is paid for, rest of living costs are pretty much the same across the UK, our council tax is quite high, insurance is sky high because of the crime and the lack of people paying for insurance and the people who claim on any insurance they do have for everything, fuel is expensive, food is standard etc.

waynedl:
Cheap for housing costs are places like Clayton (Manchester), Oldham (Manchester) - seeing a pattern here? But, that doesn’t help with fuel costs for travel, so if the job’s in Warrington, then Sankey sort of area is best, but still not cheap. You can literally pick houses up in Clayton and Oldham for 30 grand still :open_mouth:

… and Nelson, Burnley & Colne.* I remember looking at guide prices in auction catalogues about 14 years ago, those same houses were 3k a piece. Wish I’d bought a street full!

I live alone. 10 years ago my average weekly shop (usually Morrisons) was just over £20, now its often nearly £40 inc. 2 of the cheapest bottles of red on the shelf.
House running costs inc. that shopping have gone from about £220 a month to £450. Heating oil responsible for much of the increase.

• Quite handy for driving jobs in Blackburn, Preston, Heywood, Manchester & Trafford park.

So! Did anyone take the job■■? FFS!

someone always takes the jobs thats why the pay is what it is.

at least theyu manage the long turn a round

There is a job advertising exactly the same wages for Palletways in Didcot, same sort of night trunk, same sort of silly hours. Although at least Didcot is only 2 hours away from there.

I wouldn’t do it for that money though, it’s still a 55-60 hour week.

If you think cost of living is expensive up north, try Oxfordshire or Berkshire.

I am just doing my last week on the same night trunk (not palletways thankfully), and was being paid £500. If it ran over 55 hours, as it does around busy times, it did used to give me the hump. It’s all very well saying “but you can sleep for 2/3/4 hours” which is true enough, and indeed that is a novelty to start with, but you soon start to wish you could just crack on and get home. I’ve got better things to do in my life with that valuable time. There are only so many DVD’s you can watch or books you can read.

If you think that’s bad http://jcp.jobhits.co.uk/LGV-1-DRIVER-id-ISF-55910
Allens transport £260 for 40 hours :exclamation:

containers_only:
If you think that’s bad http://jcp.jobhits.co.uk/LGV-1-DRIVER-id-ISF-55910
Allens transport £260 for 40 hours :exclamation:

£9 / hr overtime rate lol.

And they want ADR for that?? Do they think this ■■■■ grows on trees? Being a driver costs money, and as is being proved time and time again, is bloody dangerous too, for 260 quid a week, there’s no bones about it, I’d rather have my missus’ job cleaning in a gym, no responsibilities, free gym, swim, spa, classes, full sick pay, final salary pension etc. No training required, no licences required, no dCPC or ADR or digi tacho etc :imp:

I wonder how many of us have to hang up their keys and not be replaced before the world realises that without a well-trained population of truckers, we’re just somalia on an island?! :open_mouth:

2020 vision
“I can’t seem to get the food in anymore.”

“But, what was wrong with all those supermarkets?”

“Well, they’ve either gone bust, or are overrun by foreigners now”

“Surely you can still get served or get a job there?”

“Thing is, the new economy works on one’s low pay being subsidised by having one’s hand in the till”

“And?”

“well, theres the thing… If you’re a white British Citizen, then you’ll get busted to the full extent of the law if and when YOU’RE caught, but a blind eye is shown to foreign nationals systemically looting the business”

“Why wasn’t something done about this crass racism towards the local population?”

“Well, the Anti-Indigenous act 2018 made it illegal to… well basically be a local grown brit anymore. We all thought it was just a way of getting rid of the BNP at the time, but it’s been used by the new foreign majority to oust us from our own country.”

“How come the foreigners ever got a majority to pull THAT off?”

“Well, you’ve got southerners who don’t have more kids, because they are dual income and can’t afford to lose one of the jobs to look after them. Couple that with northerners who have this pride thing about working for low pay, thus not being able to afford kids lest they become benefit dependants… AND all the while this north-south “cold war” was going on, you had the no-speke-ingleeshes across the street having 6+ kids per household, and all being forced to vote at every election by the patriarch… Politicians went after THAT kind of block vote with both hands, so now we’re saddled with the world in Britain that THIS has all created!”

“Oh crap!” :frowning: