Dialling 999,what a long time

I know the call operators are very good at their job helping people out,but it is very long on the phone,to report something,i was expecting her ask to my eye colour,Aunt Mabel`s birthday date,when did i go to school,how old is my brother,i could have had a nap mid call,a lot of information that she does not need to know.
And why do we have to ring 999 to report debris on the roads,and no direct line to the Highways Agency,i asked why,she said they do not mind handling those type of calls,chains and metal hooks on the roads and so on.

Isn’t the new non emergency number something like 110?

Mind you, that would depend on the debris as to whether it was an emergency or not. A ■■■ packet = no, a discarded strap= problems for caravan, a Saturn V booster rocket across all three lanes would probably warrant a quick 999.

Ratchet straps,in the motorway,would you call up or not bother?

the maoster:
Isn’t the new non emergency number something like 110?

101 for non emergency calls now. its a good system, used it not so long back.

101 has worked very well for me in the past.

toby1234abc:
Ratchet straps,in the motorway,would you call up or not bother?

Call the Womble hotline 0300 1235000. :wink:

I’ve called a few times for debris, they’re pleasant and grateful for the info :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I called 999 to report a small accident on the A9 near Forteviot junction,what a carry on. I asked her where she was working from the operator told me Bridgend ,Wales.

Alternativley just ring Sally Traffic at Radio 2. She always seems to know more then the bill. I rang 999 early one morning running out of Felixstowe. There was a herd of animals on a slip road. Had already been reported and it was cows, and apparently they had convinced the traffic bill to put their kebabs down and go sort it.

Just went on a First Aid course Wednesday and learnt that the new number for mobiles was 112 and the emergency service will log where you are phoning from by GPS .

miketdt:
Just went on a First Aid course Wednesday and learnt that the new number for mobiles was 112 and the emergency service will log where you are phoning from by GPS .

112 is the standard European emergency number. It’s not new, it’s always been around. It connects to the same operators as 999, though I believe that there might be some truth that they can locate a mobile phone more easily by using 112. There were stories a while ago that the government wanted to standardise on 112 and do away with 999, but how much was fact and how much was Daily Mail wibble I’m not sure.

Don’t get me started, just last week I had to phone 999 as I saw a young girl sat on the wrong side of a bridge dangling over a dual carriage way. This same week our town had 2 jumpers so I was obviously concerned.
I chose not to stop as it may spark a jump so continued a few hundred yards pulled over and dialed, they answered immediately and transferred me to police. I’m not joking or boosting the time to make it interesting but it rang and rang for over 3 minutes then disconnected, I tried again and it rang for 4 minutes before there was an answer, I then had 4 minutes of questions.

I questioned the delay and was told that our local station only has 2 phone operatives on at night and being a Friday night they was busy.

Now if I was a OAP and my house was getting broke into what the hell would I do? Ten minutes ona phone that may not get answered and when it does they won’t do anything until I tell them my Bowell movement cycle,

Oh and 36 minutes later I got a phone call. “hi you dialled 999 and hung up, are you ok and free to speak”

They was told very well that I was ok but I may not have been and I did not hang up it rang out

112? Logging GPS?!

Anyway, the truth is (Having studied and used the systems being ex scum)…

101 is only used by SOME police forces and it only works in that region.

112 is the euro number and simply directs to 999.

You may get transferred to a centre on the other side of the country depending on who is able to answer your call fastest.

If you are transferred to another police force than expected it’s because they are unable to take the call. Many a time has the A/C failed or power went down etc and calls automatically get sent to a backup, most likely on the other end of the country.

If two side by side forces got nuked, the reason it’s sent to somewhere far far away is so they would be able to handle it.

If you need to wait on hold, it’s because they are busy. Normally only a dozen 999 operators on at any one time.

They need to take details from the caller to build up a profile, it helps to keep notes incase they need to get back in touch as a witness for example or if they believe the call to be a hoax.

Phoned 101 the other week to report a bag full of stones being dropped off a footbridge onto my cab. Didn’t bother with 999 as the kids who had done it would have long buggered off, but felt it needed reporting incase the next time it’s a brick or cement block they drop off, all in the name of the lulz.

Woman I got connected to was possibly the most bored, uninterested person I have ever spoken to. I don’t think I have much of an accent, a bit of a Northants one yes, but not one strong enough that she couldn’t understand “A23 Northbound heading towards Croydon” (Later double checked on a map and it was the footbridge just before you go under Coulsdon station). After having to repeat that 3 or 4 times she took my name then said “Thankyou I’ll pass that on”. Waste of time that was.

plannerman:

miketdt:

112 is the standard European emergency number. It’s not new, it’s always been around. It connects to the same operators as 999, though I believe that there might be some truth that they can locate a mobile phone more easily by using 112. There were stories a while ago that the government wanted to standardise on 112 and do away with 999, but how much was fact and how much was Daily Mail wibble I’m not sure.

112 connects you to a local emergency operator not one somewhere else in the country

The best thing to do when you have reported an incident is to hang up ,wait 30 seconds, then phone back and say forget it Iv’e shot the [zb] , The police will be there harmed to the teeth in seconds. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

funny that , i dialed 999 only this week , volvo 4x4 got cut up & he hit the bank & rolled over on the A38jus past haldon hill, i stopped & used the truck as a lane blocker till the police or HATO turned up . the 999 call was going ok till the local operator tried taking over from the original call room & they were both talking over each other & i couldn’t make out what either were saying :confused:

Couple of weeks ago I was overtaken by a tipper transit with a loaded trailer behind it. Not wanting to stereotype, but I suspect they might have been “travellers”. Trailer had a flat tyre and was swaying all over. Tried flashing lights, but obviously as the pik…er I mean driver was oblivious to his swayi
ng trailer he didn’t see the lights.
Just about to phone 999, when I saw a copper sitting snoozing on the off ramp at Carnforth. Think hegot a fright, when I tapped on his window!. Told him about the gyps…er workmans trailer and off he went. Couple of miles down the road sorry looking fellow getting a seat in the back of a shiney Volvo estate.
shame really because I was looking forward to a thousand questions from the emergency operator.

I have noticed that they phone back once the original was made,and someone else repeats the questions all over again,the facts have changed,by them,so confusion begins all over again,they say,tell me where you are again.
On the original call,i have to repeat the facts 3 to 4 times,as in The Pariah`s post,it is like they are deaf,i was speaking clearly and did not ramble on.
On some night shifts,we see some dodgy characters out at night.One time,on the way to Gatwick at night in my car,a builders van was swerving all over the A303,he kept braking,doing 20 to 40 mph on a 60 mph limit,i called the Rozzers,with a few minutes,a dark BMW estate police car,unmarked,had pulled the van over,with the driver in the back seat.

toby1234abc:
… i was speaking clearly and did not ramble on.

Err… right… OK Toby. :grimacing:

Do you mean that you didn’t you tell them where they could buy crocodile burgers? :open_mouth:

I did mention the Python burger`s,and the monkey burger. :slight_smile: