Diabetis/nerve damage

Hi ady1 I send my best wishes to your brother, yourself & your family. if the diagnosis of motor neurone disease is correct I hope that time will be kind & that your brother will recieve the best of care.

Beebee:
Hi ady1 I send my best wishes to your brother, yourself & your family. if the diagnosis of motor neurone disease is correct I hope that time will be kind & that your brother will recieve the best of care.

thanks beebee,sister in law told g.f tonight that he has m.n.d,wanted to keep it from me for as long as possible,it just doesnt seem real,like a bad dream,wake up and it will be gone,just feel so helpless,hes always been such a good kid,everyone loves him,gets on with everyone,opposite of me,always the good ones :exclamation: :exclamation: ,just want to make him alright,never been a emotinial person but im lost,sister in law said tell ad to come and see him,just act normal,how can you,just want to hug him and make it go away,ta again,

Hi i was diagnosed with diabetes july 2010 was put on tablets but had no effect so i was taken to hospital and put on insulin drip to bring my levels down.Now on insulin 5 times a day & lost my hgv 1 licence straight away.
Two weeks ago i was diagnosed with multiple system atrophy,NO CURE.Im going into addenbrook hospital on monday for more tests.

if diabetis [didnt realise you had it]went untreated for a period of time could it cause nerve damage,a relative has now been diagnosed with diabetis and ther also saying he has nerve damage[more tests to come],or is the nerve issue a separate issue,just happened at same time.ta

No when you have Diabetes you get neuropathy, you have a build up of sugars in your capillaries (small vessels) which stops your blood flow and feelings, eventually you get gangrene and have to have your toes amputated, also your get Macular degeneration and lose your sight, these are minor compared to other causes to your bodies systems from Diabetes.

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.001537,-1.675179

Neuropathy is nerve damage, specifically to the Peripheral Nervous System. I know this because I have MS (a Central Nervous System disease) and neuropathy was one the things they had to rule out in the process of making a diagnosis - diabetes was another.

So in answer to Ady’s original question, yes, diabetes very definately CAN cause nerve damage if not controlled. According to my Consultant Neurologist, anyway.

My Mum has diabetis, and her consultant told us that in my Mum’s case, there are two kinds of neuropathy that she could possibly get.

One kind tends to affect the legs and feet, so a number of diabetics (including my Mum) need to visit a chiropodist to get their toenails cut.

The other neuropathy is called retinal neuropathy, which can affect a person’s eyesight.
Thankfully, my Mum doesn’t have retinal neuropathy.

Lucy:
Neuropathy is nerve damage, specifically to the Peripheral Nervous System. I know this because I have MS (a Central Nervous System disease) and neuropathy was one the things they had to rule out in the process of making a diagnosis - diabetes was another.

So in answer to Ady’s original question, yes, diabetes very definately CAN cause nerve damage if not controlled. According to my Consultant Neurologist, anyway.

i saw him w/end[brother] and hes seen a consultant,hes not happy with test he had at lincoln/grantham hospital,so consultant says hes got to go to sheffield hospital for those tests and more to be done again,they dont seem to be in any rush so brothers thinks there waiting to see if it gets worse /better,hes obviously getting a bit/lot worried,theyve put him[ doctor] on pills of some description for diabetis but on reading /internet hes starting to think m.s or maybe both,i told him to stop putting 2+2 and comming up with 5.
his symptoms started with struggling to walk,falling over,if you look at his arms/legs his nerves are twitching away at 100 mph at times,some times he doesnt seem to bad walking,but he struggles to walk /cant when he seems to get stressed,hospital,doctors etc,are these any symptoms you reconize luzy, :question: the strange thing is he had a constant cold[runny nose],he had a operation and it didnt work but all this started pretty much at time of operation,again hes putting 2+2 and thinking it equals operation triggering this,hopefully time will tell,and its something treatable

Blueiain:
No when you have Diabetes you get neuropathy, you have a build up of sugars in your capillaries (small vessels) which stops your blood flow and feelings, eventually you get gangrene and have to have your toes amputated, also your get Macular degeneration and lose your sight, these are minor compared to other causes to your bodies systems from Diabetes.

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.001537,-1.675179

doesnt sound like what he has,even though they have put him on pills for diabetis,all seems a bit of a mystery,as i say it started with a day trip to skeggy after operation,said he got out of brother in laws car and decided to walk to fishing shop[think that was place],said his legs really hurt,started to struggle to walk,but he just put it down to sitting awkward in the back of small car,he then got worse,but he doesnt seem to be getting worse or better now,has good days and bad days,strange

dieseldave:
My Mum has diabetis, and her consultant told us that in my Mum’s case, there are two kinds of neuropathy that she could possibly get.

One kind tends to affect the legs and feet, so a number of diabetics (including my Mum) need to visit a chiropodist to get their toenails cut.

The other neuropathy is called retinal neuropathy, which can affect a person’s eyesight.
Thankfully, my Mum doesn’t have retinal neuropathy.

the feet /legs could be to do with his walking,but does it come on overnight so to speak,he seemed fine then this seemed to come on fairly quickly[but he did say odd days inpast his legs hurt and he was always drinking/thirsty],the problem is you start reading medical books/internet and you can come up with 101 different possibilities,my own feeling is the consultant has a fair idea what it is and is giving it time to see which way it goes,awfull seeing anyone[let alone brother] go from a very active person to someone who can hardly walk,you feel very helpless :frowning:

The problem with MS is that it mimics a hell of a lot of other things, and there’s no definitive test so it’s a diagnosis of exclusion which takes time - I was misdiagnosed with arthritis for the first 10 years. Also, everyone’s MS manifests itself differently depending on which bits of the Central Nervous System are affected, and which type of MS it is. For example, I’m Primary Progressive which means I don’t have relapses and remittances, and is also the hardest kind to diagnose because what tests there are don’t work very well on this variant.

In truth, the VAST majority of people who think they may have MS actually haven’t, it’s quite rare in reality. But the best thing to do is ask to be referred to a Neurologist, then take it from there.

Good luck. x.

Hi i agree with Lucy. I have M.E and the symptoms are similar to M.S. Constant thirst and needing to wee a lot are classic symptoms of diabetes but not having a constant cold. A dr can do a simple examination that will allow you to know if the leg weakness is neurological. As lucy says there are many illnesses where diagnosis comes by ruling out everything else. On the positive, the problem is being dealt with & I hope there is a diagnosis soon, that makes a big difference. Best wishes

hes spent last week in hallamshire hospital,he hasnt told me as very close and doesnt want to upset me,said he wouldnt get any better but hed be o.k,told by step-dad this morning hes got motor neurone disease :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: ,read about it this morning and just lost for words,just doesnt seem rightdont know what to think,thanks for replies,look after yourselfes

Lucy:
The problem with MS is that it mimics a hell of a lot of other things, and there’s no definitive test so it’s a diagnosis of exclusion which takes time - I was misdiagnosed with arthritis for the first 10 years. Also, everyone’s MS manifests itself differently depending on which bits of the Central Nervous System are affected, and which type of MS it is. For example, I’m Primary Progressive which means I don’t have relapses and remittances, and is also the hardest kind to diagnose because what tests there are don’t work very well on this variant.

In truth, the VAST majority of people who think they may have MS actually haven’t, it’s quite rare in reality. But the best thing to do is ask to be referred to a Neurologist, then take it from there.

Good luck. x.

I am pleased that MS is so rare. I lost my best friend to it when he was only 28 and his symptoms started with dizzy spells and balance, he eventually ended up in a care home and we took him for days out in his wheelchair.