Diabetic drivers info requested

Does anyone know what the rules are regarding diabetic LGV drivers? I have a van driver who works for me who I would like to put through his LGV, but he is a diabetic. Any info would be received with thanks.

I believe that type 2 diabetes can be treated with tablets and diet, and doesnt affect your licence.

Type 1 is an insulin deficiency and if you have to inject, then I dont think they let you keep an HGV.

A friend of mine has lost his licence recently. and his doctor told him because it was liable to cause fits or blackouts.

lots of info in the surgerys and even on the net.

smcaul,please have a look at link,i think it aldepends what type of medication your man takes.

dvla.gov.uk/at_a_glance/ch3_diabetes.htm

i hope it is off some help to :wink:

Thanks Guys, looks like he will have to stay a van driver. What a silly law!!!

jack crossfield is fighting to have the rules changed as they only affect uk drivers and not european drivers, so insulin dependant drivers from france can drive here but our own uk licence holders cannot.
i cannot remember which group he represents but he was standing as an independant local councillor in the manchester stockport area and had a recent campaign in the press (truck related) appealing for support from other drivers around the country.

johnny:
jack crossfield is fighting to have the rules changed as they only affect uk drivers and not european drivers, so insulin dependant drivers from france can drive here but our own uk licence holders cannot.
i cannot remember which group he represents but he was standing as an independant local councillor in the manchester stockport area and had a recent campaign in the press (truck related) appealing for support from other drivers around the country.

I havent seen that jonny!!!

I would like to see it , if you have more info? please post it! cheers!

Drivers Action Movement (D.A.M) I think.

I think he’s tried to get better overnight parking and diabeties law changed.

From memory he might be an ex-union guy, he did stand for local elections and frequently campaigns on local subjects in the local rag in Tameside. (east of Manchester)

i no longer have all the info but work shy is right, it is the drivers action movement he used to front and the appeal he made was for election as a independant local councillor in the manchester area.
sorry i cannot help out more at the moment but i am just about to go to work.
i will try again next week when i am back, see if i can find out more unless someone has that info.

Basically speaking : Insulin = no, Tablets = yes.

As I am the only one left in entire male side of my family not yet to have been diagnosed with it, it does concern me somewhat :open_mouth: .

You and me both Rob. My Dad is, that’s why I watch my diet and consider myself to be “managed my diet alone”. I have frequent blood sugar checks and my doc’s aware of the problem. They’re also aware that it can affect my livleyhood. All this occured a week after getting my class 1 licence. Nothing’s ever simple is it?