diabetes

i recently found out two of my family have been told they have diabetes type 2, im a bit worried as to how strict the guidelines for revoking a lgv licence is? also whats diffrence between type 1 and 2?
cheers ian

These links provide some info:

diabetes.co.uk/driving-with-diabetes.html

diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-dia … _diabetes/

Hi bigcheese, Please don’t be offended, but you’ll get some quality answers if you ask that question in here :arrow_right: HEALTH AND FAMILY FORUM

That topic has already been discussed, so you might find that the answer to your question is already there for you to read.

I had a similar concern myself after a family member became type 2 diabetic, so I’ve been and had the tests.
In my case, the tests were very straightforward and came back as negative for diabetis, much to my relief. :smiley:

my dad and grandad both have type 2 diabetes, but they both control it with a diet so really i should be fine if i look after myself…so i better get on the case lol.

my dad only got diagnosed at 50 and my grandad was 85 when they told him lol.

type 2 diabetes only causes problems if you have to inject insulin, if you manage it by diet or tablets it isn’t a problem although you do have to tell the DVLA if you use tablets :wink:

the majority of people with type 2 diabetes don’t inject :exclamation:

cheers for replies guys i think (almost certain) i dont have it just worried that its appeared in the family, and that i could be facing it in the future. just got news of my transfer to transport yesterday i move from warehouse to driving full time april 13th, my licence revoking is last thing i want.

bigcheese:
just got news of my transfer to transport yesterday i move from warehouse to driving full time april 13th, my licence revoking is last thing i want.

Hi bigcheese, That’s good news indeed and about time too. :grimacing:

If you have any concerns, please don’t forget that the tests are very simple and straightforward. :wink:

Good luck mate. :smiley:

I am trying ti remember what Lucy said on this subject - I think she said that it is the type 1 that can cause a LGV licence issue but type 2 was ok…

Type 1 (insulin dependant) is an instant revocation of C and C+E along with D an D+E licenses.

Type 2 (tablets and/or diet treated) normally means that you get to keep your vocational entitlement but in some cases DVLA will revoke, some type 2 diabetics have to inject with insulin and in these cases the licence will be revoked.

Type 1 diabetics are however allowed to hold C1 and C1+E licenses (renewable every year), as I held a Class 1 before I was diagnosed my C1+E allows me to drive up to the 12t limit but for new drivers the C1+E will only allow up to 8.25t.

What really ticks me off is the fact that all type 1 diabetics are lumped together in 1 group whether you have excellent control or rubbish control, in my opinion we should be individually assesed by our consultants on whether we should be allowed our vocational licenses returned but then again i am a bit biased :smiley:

scottie0011:
in my opinion we should be individually assesed by our consultants on whether we should be allowed our vocational licenses returned but then again i am a bit biased :smiley:

Hi scottie0011, I tend to agree with that, particularly in the way you wrote it. :smiley:

Let’s hope for a change of heart to a case-by-case basis by the authorities, but I fear that if there’s a European Directive or Regulation involved, our hopes and even a consultant’s opinion might not amount to much. :frowning:

ROG:
I am trying ti remember what Lucy said on this subject - I think she said that it is the type 1 that can cause a LGV licence issue but type 2 was ok…

Type 1 (insulin dependant) is almost automatic revocation of vocational license, and regular medical reports for renewal of ordinary license.

Type 2 is non-insulin dependant, and does not normally affect your license, although you should still inform DVLA. They will normally tell you not to bother them again unless your circumstances change.
Type 2 can nearly always be controled with diet if diagnosed early enough and the diet is followed carefully. However, the medical profession will try to get you onto medication as it looks better on their figures.

I am type 2, my son is type 1 (as was his mother), my brother, father, uncle & grandfather were or are type 2 and in various states of treatment.

I have a suggestion, I have a family history of diabetes and heart disease, my doctor suggested having a check up every 18 mths- 2 yrs. This doesn’t cost anything and is a check of blood pressure, weight, glucose and colestorol. This way, hopefully, things can be caught early and treated accordingly.

ohterry:
ive recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetis. ive been told it can be controlled by way of diet instructions.

:frowning: Are you ok babe?

I’d listen to you Tel, anytime. :wink:

ohterry:
ive recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetis. ive been told it can be controlled by way of diet instructions.

Usually it can be, particularly if you catch it early and are very good about your diet.
I went from a HBA1C of 14.6 to 5.9 just by changing diet and losing weight.

HI Terry hope that this
will be of help mate

READ through this lot

all the best with the diet,

bigcheese:
i recently found out two of my family have been told they have diabetes type 2, im a bit worried as to how strict the guidelines for revoking a lgv licence is? also whats diffrence between type 1 and 2?
cheers ian

Diabetes Type 2 have most Males after 45 as well most African.
Can be treathened with Diet or Pilles
Diabetes Type 1 must be reported to DVLA and will result in loss of HGV Licence as well as PCV Licence.It’s,as i believe,when you have to inject yourself Insulin,and too high Bloodsugar would you Knock out

For over 30 years ,I have had what is termed a Low Glucose Tolerance,which shows up in a urine test as a high Glucose,(Sugar),level.Whenever this had been detected,at regular medicals for insurance purposes etc.,I have had to visit the hospital out patients for a Glucose Tolerance Test,(GTT),which has always cleared me of being diabetic,but only by a small margin.I have maintained this position by diet,and not too strict at that!.
Diabetes is usually hereditory,my mother had it when she died aged 55,she died with it,not from it,(She actually died of Leukemia),and there is a good chance that many will contract diabetes of one form or another with age.
The last time I took my HGV medical 2 years ago,when the quack tested my urine,he said did I know that I was diabetic?.I told him the problem I had had over the years and he did a blood test with one of these finger prick thingys,and it showed a safe level so although the answer to the question on the HGV medical questionaire said posative for high glucose level in the urine sample,he wrote down the blood test result and also wrote,“This man is NOT diabetic”.
In the last 12 months,my own doc has had me take another GTT and when he gave me the result,he said,“Well Mr.Taylor,you are now diabetic,type 2 to be precise!”.
He then gave me a paper with a list of all the symptons I am supposed to have:
extreme thirst,
numerous visits to the toilet,
weight gain,
low ■■■ drive.
I HAVE NONE OF THESE SYMPTONS!,especially the last one!
I feel just the same as I have done for many years,I am still on the same diet as I always have been,again,not too strict.
The diabetes nurse at our practice gave me a kit to test my own blood sugar,and the regular reading is 6.2,whichI am told is normal.
So,do I have diabetes or not?
For many years I was told I was borderline diabetic,now I am just the wrong side of the line,very slightly diabetic.
The first action when you are declared diabetic is an appointment with Specsavers for a photo of your retina which showed no problems.
The next was an appointment with a Chiropodist to check your feet.The Chiropodist said I had a pulse in my feet which is good,no pulse means bad circulation,and I had hair on my toes,also another good sign of circulation.
I have recently also purchased a blood pressure monitor to check my blood pressure at home.
Where is the worst place to have your blood pressure checked,in a doctor’s surgery.
Every time my blood pressure was checked by a doctor,it was always 170 over 80 or 180 over 80,whereas the “Norm” is supposed to be 120 over 80.
But by having the doctor check it 3 times,one after the other,mine always falls to about 130 over80!
When checking it myself at home it is between 116 0ver 80 to 130 over 80.
My next HGV medical is imminent so I am just arranging one now,(cost £30 st The Brook medical centre).
Looking at the form D4 the questions on diabetes only asks if the applicant suffers with diabetes mellitus,which is type 1,and if the answer is NO,then that’s an end to it,it asks you to proceed to the next question.
So all in all I don’t think I’ve much problem with the medical,apart from this doctor who always asks you to bend down and touch your toes,now at 66 I find it a long way down there!

hiya,
if like me type two diabetic i have to have an annual eye examination its a two part thing part at an optician the other at the local hospital at 73 i’m not bothered about my now expired class 1 but on enquiring i could in fact renew my hgv licence my eyesight is spot on with specs and showing no signs of deterioration and the type 2 has never caused any problems, so if any hauliers are looking for a driver who knows the job inside out, don’t ring me i’ll ring you. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
thanks harry long retired.

By law,does the doctor have to inform DVLA,or is it up to the HGV holder to disclose it?