Diabetes and truck driving

After having a bit of a health scare and reading in the paper today about the increase in diabetes in this country.
Is it possible to be diabetec and drive a truck??
Any thoughts?

flub

Type 2 - the sort where it’s controlled with diet and/or tablets, then yes (I work with a guy who is in this position). :grimacing:
Type 1 - the sort where you have to inject insulin, no, instant license loser. :cry:

I may have the type numbers the wrong way 'round, but you get the idea… :wink:

The Drivers’ Action Movement have been campaigning on the unfairness of this for years, as it goes.

If you have insulin-treated diabetes you won’t get an LGV licence.

My Dad lives in Germany and one of his English friends has diabetes, yet because he exchanged his UK license for a German one when he moved there in the early 90’s he can still legally drive HGV’s. He frequently drives back to UK amongst other places, yet if he lived in the UK he wouldn’t be able to drive an HGV which is pretty ironic, sad and unfair because aslong as it is under control then you are not anymore a danger than joe bloggs next to you.

He still has his medical every so many years and has never had a problem.

I believe that the UK is the only EU country that doesn’t allow you to drive if you have controlable diabetes, however i could be wrong.

A Swedish friend of mine is diabetic,he has to inject himself at meal times,but is still driving.
Though some time ago he was worried that he was going to lose his licence,but he still has it.

Isn’t it amazing that although many countries are in the EU,the way they interpret laws is so varied.
I’ve always thought that the UK will never be a true member of the EU all the time it has a hole in it’s ■■■■■■.
Ooh! that’s a posh word,I nearly said arse!
D’oh!