Dhl Tradeteam

Evening all im new to this forum and new to the industry having only passed c + e recently.I been offered a job with dhl Tradeteam in sheffield starting with 2 weeks of training I met with the transport manager last week who seemed like a nice chap and overall my impression of the company was very good I just wondered if anyone else has worked here before and could give me some info on what it’s like it’s very difficult for a newbie like myself to find work in the industry so it seems like a very good offer.cheers

youll need to be physically fit and have a good knowledge of area I would think. Pub deliveries in built up areas means youll get a lot of abuse too!

Working for DHL can be a good company to work for… depending on what contract you are on.

I see the small urban artics running about, I think double manned and just this morning I saw a full size curtain sider being unloaded in the yard, newish looking trailer and newish Volvo FH… :slight_smile:

Well done on getting a job mate :smiley:

Tradeteam is a good company to work for I spent 3 years working for them vier agency out of Burton upon trent on the primary side good kit and ran 100% legal and big on load security and compliance as DHL have got there teeth into them now . The Tinsley ( Sheffield) depot was one of the better ones for delivering too good lads there on nights there . Are u going to be working on the Drays or on the primary side ? as I think they have 1 or 2 arctics based there which are either ran from Tadcaster or Burton upon trent .

G6Bob:
Working for DHL can be a good company to work for… depending on what contract you are on.

I see the small urban artics running about, I think double manned and just this morning I saw a full size curtain sider being unloaded in the yard, newish looking trailer and newish Volvo FH… :slight_smile:

Well done on getting a job mate :smiley:

Thanks mate much appreciated

Greggo:
Tradeteam is a good company to work for I spent 3 years working for them vier agency out of Burton upon trent on the primary side good kit and ran 100% legal and big on load security and compliance as DHL have got there teeth into them now . The Tinsley ( Sheffield) depot was one of the better ones for delivering too good lads there on nights there . Are u going to be working on the Drays or on the primary side ? as I think they have 1 or 2 arctics based there which are either ran from Tadcaster or Burton upon trent .

Primary side I believe it’s working direct for dhl not through an agency based out of Tinsley I was offered the job after a 10 min chat to be honest so my knowledge of the job is not what it would Normally be hence the reason im on here at the time they were looking for a couple of drivers.Am I right In thinking drays is an agency?

If it’s the dame as the Gloucester set-up the first few days will involve a LOT of physical work, learning how to handle the 150kg kegs (no, that isn’t a misprint). On the induction my lad went on half of the group were gone after the first two days, but once over that it’s fairly straight-forward. Like most companies H&S is the big thing so be prepared for a lot of box-ticking. Second week is out actually doing the job and they do make sure you know what you are doing through and through.

tallyman:
If it’s the dame as the Gloucester set-up the first few days will involve a LOT of physical work, learning how to handle the 150kg kegs (no, that isn’t a misprint). On the induction my lad went on half of the group were gone after the first two days, but once over that it’s fairly straight-forward. Like most companies H&S is the big thing so be prepared for a lot of box-ticking. Second week is out actually doing the job and they do make sure you know what you are doing through and through.

I’ve spent the last 10 years as a tree surgeon so that should serve me well with the physical aspect just interested to know the difference between the “primary side” and drays

I was at the gloucester depot last year for about 3mths, doing the pub deliveries is really hard work but not long hours. When I did days on bulk it was sometimes longer hours but all you were doing was opening the curtains a couple of times a day.

They are very hot on rules there. They have ‘task percedures’ for everything. This is their version of risk assessment. It covers everything including how to bloody get in a cab with pictures lol. As long as you play by the rules and keep up with the delivery times its all good.

You can have a bit of a laugh if you get a good drivers mate and when you start they only send you out with their pro mates so they probably know all the drops and what order is best.

Give it a couple of weeks as to many quit after one day but it gets easier. As mentioned obove the kegs can be heavy starting from 35kg upto about 150kg. Then you have all the bottled drinks etc on pallets that need handballing and sack trucking.

Wonkydonky:

Greggo:

Primary side I believe it’s working direct for dhl not through an agency based out of Tinsley I was offered the job after a 10 min chat to be honest so my knowledge of the job is not what it would Normally be hence the reason im on here at the time they were looking for a couple of drivers.Am I right In thinking drays is an agency?

Primary side is mainly trunking from depot to depot IE running a trailer full of empties upto to Tadcaster Brewery or Burton upon Trent and bringing a loaded trailer of full kegs or wines and Spirits back to Depot or u could be delivering to Wholesalers or other companies such as Carlsberg or KNDL ( Scottish and Newcastle ) . The Dray side will be delivering to Pubs and clubs and retailers they have a lot Drays based at Tinsley I think a lot of the crews are full time ? But as I’ve said I worked on primary side out of Burton trunking depot to depot mainly .

Dray side is good fun, if you have a good partner.

Greggo:

Wonkydonky:

Greggo:

Primary side is mainly trunking from depot to depot IE running a trailer full of empties upto to Tadcaster Brewery or Burton upon Trent and bringing a loaded trailer of full kegs or wines and Spirits back to Depot or u could be delivering to Wholesalers or other companies such as Carlsberg or KNDL ( Scottish and Newcastle ) . The Dray side will be delivering to Pubs and clubs and retailers they have a lot Drays based at Tinsley I think a lot of the crews are full time ? But as I’ve said I worked on primary side out of Burton trunking depot to depot mainly .

Cheers greggo that clears it up a bit it’s definitely the drays side then delivering to pubs and clubs around Yorkshire and North Derbyshire the hours are good too I was told “get your round done then get yourself off” pay Is salaried so no need to bulk the hours up

Cancel the gym membership, you will end up with arms like Popeye the sailor man.
I have delivered to Dhl drink sites, I have never had a problem with the staff, been made welcome, briefed for site rules.
The trucks are limited to 52 mph.
Health and safety is big thing for them.
Don’t forget to lock the cab while delivering in towns.
The site in Enfield London, has a great vending machine, hot paninis,pizza, meals such as Lasagna and pasta, hot soups.
Cheese toasties.

toby1234abc:
Cancel the gym membership, you will end up with arms like Popeye the sailor man.
I have delivered to Dhl drink sites, I have never had a problem with the staff, been made welcome, briefed for site rules.
The trucks are limited to 52 mph.
Health and safety is big thing for them.
Don’t forget to lock the cab while delivering in towns.
The site in Enfield London, has a great vending machine, hot paninis,pizza, meals such as Lasagna and pasta, hot soups.
Cheese toasties.

Everything I hear about them makes me convinced there a great company to work for not sure about the Paninis and pasta though were in Yorkshire so imagine the vending machine will be meat pie and gravy :smiley:

Hey, sounds like it’s dray (secondary) work your going to be doing so driving an urban arctic. how’s your reversing? Don’t worry you will get plenty practice and be a pro in no time at all.

I have done it for coming on 13yrs now, started with Scottish and Newcastle now working for KNDL

up here Kndl & trade team work from the same yard as we’re both just transit points. Both companies operate very similarly. both job and finish so the sooner the beer is off the sooner your home

It’s hard graft at times but if you don’t mind getting stuck in about it you can be home sharp most days, also mind your out all weather’s and driving is only a small part of your day most of your time is spent out in the elements

One thing I would say is don’t quit without giving it at least a months trial after your initial 2 weeks training It will get easier and it’s not about brute strength most is practice and techniques to shift the heavy kegs about. I personally hated when I’d spent the 2 weeks doing manual handling training people and they would quit without giving it a chance

Best of luck

I’m on the drays at Carlsberg up in Tingley and love it tbh. First few weeks you defiantly know about it but after that it’s a piece of cake. Oh and we have the bigger 205kg kegs too!

Saw a trade team double decker the other day. Feel sorry for that 2 man crew!!!