Dhl tickhill good or bad to work for?

I had the bad luck to have to load out of DHL at tickhill in the week part of the load being loaded there and the other part at Reckitts…

Anyhow I won’t go into the rant about 2.5 hours to laod 35 mins for paperwork etc etc…But whilst in the traffic office the amount of DHL drivers that were complaining about the state of the planning and the company in general I was curious to hear from any other DHL guys on here to see if DHL are as bad as these guys were making out.

The main gripes were about planning 15 hour days that could not be done in 15 etc etc

Routes that were not realistic etc etc etc

Are DHL bad to work for ? My own impressions of the staff in the office were harrased and not too friendly but hey thats most traffic offices I guess :laughing: :laughing:

One of their drivers drinks in the same pub as me and he was furious last bank holiday.

He put his name down to work (double time and all that!) and was refused as they only needed a few drivers to work. He went in the following day to find that they had brought half a dozen agency drivers in for the bank holiday.

Stupid or what?

It’s more of who is in charge in the office and what their personal policies are , rather than DHL as a whole .
I worked for DHL parcel trunking out of east midlands airport for nearly 4 years .No problem with DHL , more of a problem with some of the personal policies of people in the office .Oh and the slowing down pay rises :laughing:
Half witted securicor management trying to cut our pensions and other benefits , generally trying to get DHL the same reputation as securicor :laughing:
Moved onto an EXEL contract which is fine and obviously has it’s off days as does any other job .That is now obviously a DHL/EXEL contract nothing has changed except the colour of the trucks and some trailers …

Depends on the contract and which smart alec is in charge of it :wink:

killsville:
One of their drivers drinks in the same pub as me and he was furious last bank holiday.

He put his name down to work (double time and all that!) and was refused as they only needed a few drivers to work. He went in the following day to find that they had brought half a dozen agency drivers in for the bank holiday.

Stupid or what?

One (ex-Exel) DHL depot I worked at did this a lot. They argued that they had to ‘keep the agency sweet’ for when they needed lots of agency drivers.

The DHL depot I currently work at (where the management is ex Securicor Omega Logistics, and was Russell Davies before that) won’t have any agency drivers unless there is absolutely no other way. That said, if it was a bank holiday, the job would be cancelled rather than pay £30odd per hour for agency staff. In reality - there is always plenty of staff volunteers to work bank holidays anyway.

I’ve seen the TM do a day’s work in the office, then, to avoid agency costs, go out on a six hour run to cover a job due to driver sickness. I’d never seen that happen until I worked here. :sunglasses:

They seem have the principle that if you look after your own drivers, you shouldn’t need to use too many agency drivers.

In response to the original point, it really does depend on the site you are talking about, and how the management got there.

These are my personal opinions of DHL Exel Supply Chain (formerly DHL Freight). I cannot comment on DHL Express (parcels) as I have never worked on that side of the firm.

Ex Securicor Omega Logistics / Russell Davies depots tend to be more ‘old school’, i.e. traffic office staff tend to be C+E holders and have done your job in their time, trucks kept in very good condition both mechanically and cosmetically, customer service of a good standard, meeting delivery times is of vital importance. Days tend to be quite long, and you can get close to your max duty and driving hours so you need to keep a close eye on these. Planners are usually clued up about where places are and what is realistically achievable. Empty running is minimal, as is use of agency drivers.

Ex Exel / Tibbett & Britten depots are often run by accountants and people with no practical transport experience, have trucks which are dirty, covered in damage, though mechanically roadworthy. They are very concerned about legal compliance / health and safety, but slightly less worried about meeting delivery times. Days tend to be shorter and you rarely get anywhere near your max hours. Emphasis is on getting the trailer back to the depot ASAP, rather than looking for a return load. Planner’s favourite phrase is ‘why can’t you do it, my computer say you can’. Agency driver use quite frequent.

only experince of dhl is the curry site at newark.
office staff are the worst i have come across
having to wait for 3hrs on monday and then sent out on a 12hr run didnt impress me
phoned agency to say from now on will only wait a max of 2hrs as not doing 15hrs (not my thing but hats off to those who want 80hrs a week)
tuesday had 1hr wait so thought they might have said something, lorry blew a turbo down the road so was short shift
wednesday got to 2hrs so told office staff i was off as waited long enough
thursday got a call to say i have been banned from site and the agency will not be using me again :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Which agency was that?

thecoder0:
I had the bad luck to have to load out of DHL at tickhill in the week

The main gripes were about planning 15 hour days that could not be done in 15 etc etc

Routes that were not realistic etc etc etc

I have the mis-fortune to work out of that site on agy, theres a lot of sitting around waiting for trucks (1-4hrs) then the expectation of going out and doing the run, but with a lot of cash and carrys to deliver to, there obviously hold ups, and if theres a local back haul and your running late, theres very little chance of getting the BH dropped. as for the loads out of there, your right a lot of the waiting time is because of loading, and playing spot the trailer, because no one in the office knows where on the whole site, the loaded trailer you want is :unamused: Id hate to be an outsider having to go in there for a BH, as I`ve witnessed several drivers spitting feathers at the office staff.

but on the plus side, as i`m there on agy on that site, it is deffo a cash cow for me, due to the long hrs and very little effort involved

Me and my son both work for DHL Newark 1 week so far and already I have made contact with my last company for my job back,
Having to wait every night for paperwork before we can leave.
One example my son booked on at 1900hrs had to wait in drivers area not knowing where he is going, at 2330 he get his paperwork going to Billingham not far really only that the Trailer was booked to go at 1800hrs.He gets to Billingham scottish driver been waiting over 3hrs.
This is DHL

Which agency was that?
that was drivers elite, but to be honest ithink all agencies would have done the same as their one and only concern is keeping the client happy and sod the driver but that is my opinion

I was in tickhill dhl on friday. arrived on site 09.30, departed 14.20 all for 15 pallets. what a nightmare of a place :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

ironically, as a condition of their O licence, ALL of their OWN traffic is banned from driving through tickhill after a NIMBY objected, theres even a sign at the end of the road stating that you shouldn`t turn right toward tickhill, now all the other local villages have to suffer the HGV traffic, which is fine if your driving towards the A1, but if your heading M1 north/south, tickhill is the obvious route towards the M18/M1. especially while the roadworks are in place at blyth

peirre:
ironically, as a condition of their O licence, ALL of their OWN traffic is banned from driving through tickhill after a NIMBY objected, theres even a sign at the end of the road stating that you shouldn`t turn right toward tickhill, now all the other local villages have to suffer the HGV traffic, which is fine if your driving towards the A1, but if your heading M1 north/south, tickhill is the obvious route towards the M18/M1. especially while the roadworks are in place at blyth

Tickhill is reckoned to be one of the posh places of Doncaster. Personally I think it is just full of ‘ten bob millionaires’ who have nothing better to do than complain about wagons. How must the people of Harworth feel - they have to take all the traffic now. But then again they are only an old pit village with a big council estate :unamused:

killsville:
How must the people of Harworth feel - they have to take all the traffic now. But then again they are only an old pit village with a big council estate :unamused:

i doubt DHL give a hoot, since theyve just had a new place built in harworth (next to railbridge) and put in an O licence application a few weeks ago for around 150 wagons and gawd knows how many trailers for the recketts contract

Peirre
rubbing hands … at the prospect of loads more hrs on agy for DHL :unamused:

Quite simply the most frustrating place I have ever had to work from.
Red tape, buerocracy,nit picking… that was just to get past the security gatehouse!
C

This is why I do depot to depot night trunking and the occasional sleep at an RDC .

Trailer in 15 minutes later trailer out :laughing: :laughing:

Mind you last RDC I did was Asda Didcot …Ariived 10 pm , straight on last bay , tipped and away by 10:40 pm :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

flying_fenman:

killsville:

Stupid or what?

One (ex-Exel) DHL depot I worked at did this a lot. They argued that they had to ‘keep the agency sweet’ for when they needed lots of agency drivers.

The DHL depot I currently work at (where the management is ex Securicor Omega Logistics, and was Russell Davies before that) won’t have any agency drivers unless there is absolutely no other way. That said, if it was a bank holiday, the job would be cancelled rather than pay £30odd per hour for agency staff. In reality - there is always plenty of staff volunteers to work bank holidays anyway.

I’ve seen the TM do a day’s work in the office, then, to avoid agency costs, go out on a six hour run to cover a job due to driver sickness. I’d never seen that happen until I worked here. :sunglasses:

They seem have the principle that if you look after your own drivers, you shouldn’t need to use too many agency drivers.

In response to the original point, it really does depend on the site you are talking about, and how the management got there.

These are my personal opinions of DHL Exel Supply Chain (formerly DHL Freight). I cannot comment on DHL Express (parcels) as I have never worked on that side of the firm.

Ex Securicor Omega Logistics / Russell Davies depots tend to be more ‘old school’, i.e. traffic office staff tend to be C+E holders and have done your job in their time, trucks kept in very good condition both mechanically and cosmetically, customer service of a good standard, meeting delivery times is of vital importance. Days tend to be quite long, and you can get close to your max duty and driving hours so you need to keep a close eye on these. Planners are usually clued up about where places are and what is realistically achievable. Empty running is minimal, as is use of agency drivers.

Ex Exel / Tibbett & Britten depots are often run by accountants and people with no practical transport experience, have trucks which are dirty, covered in damage, though mechanically roadworthy. They are very concerned about legal compliance / health and safety, but slightly less worried about meeting delivery times. Days tend to be shorter and you rarely get anywhere near your max hours. Emphasis is on getting the trailer back to the depot ASAP, rather than looking for a return load. Planner’s favourite phrase is ‘why can’t you do it, my computer say you can’. Agency driver use quite frequent.

WOOOAAAAAAAA…
Do You mean the Agencyworker who do all Year round for your Depot :question:
Or do you mean the Companydriver who work all Week long for a Company and get Sat and Sun extramoney? How does that work with the 48Hour/Week :question:

Lovlyperson:
WOOOAAAAAAAA…
Do You mean the Agencyworker who do all Year round for your Depot :question:
Or do you mean the Companydriver who work all Week long for a Company and get Sat and Sun extramoney? How does that work with the 48Hour/Week :question:

We don’t really use agency drivers - only when there is no other way possible to do a job. The boss doesn’t like spending money if he doesn’t have to.

It is rare to see an agency driver at our place. Maybe if nobody can work a Saturday morning, or if someone is on holiday, but it is not unknown to see a truck parked up for a week if the work can still be covered by the other twenty-four of us.

Certainly he wouldn’t use one on a bank holiday because the agencies charge (in the TM’s opinion :wink: ) far too much.

We don’t have any trouble with the WTD because we do get a fair bit waiting around on POA. An example - our customer has a factory in north Wales which I had to collect from on Thursday. On arrival I was told ‘get your head down for about four hours.’ When I opened the cab curtains four hours later, they were just putting the last few pallets on. :sunglasses: :smiley: