Dhl / Iceland

Any info guys ? Usual , pay , conditions , start times on afternoons ? ,runs etc anything to watc out for beware of ?

Agency or direct?

Hopefully direct !! We will see cheers

Tarrman used to work in the warehouse there, Assuming it’s the Warrington depot your looking at, he may know what the transport deal is.

I’m on at the Swindon Depot and we are paid well for the area, salaried for 48 WTD hours a week. Have a pension, social club on site (events are offsite) and opportunities to advance if that’s what floats your boat. The work is what it is, shop deliveries, supplier collections some inter depot trunking. Stock is delivered on cages and pallets with store staff supposed to assist, rarely happens.

Good kit though it is abused by some, if memory serves Warrington have mostly Volvo fleet, Loaders - some decent most have room for improvement. Pickers - poor and that is the good ones. You get some pressure for delivery windows but get no hassle for running legal, plenty for breaking the rules. The DHL way is the only way that is acceptable and you can expect to be managed by poster rather than conversation.

Hi there, I used to work in the warehouse and had the chance to drive or them before I got royally bummed.

Pay is about £11.10 an hour, never heard anything about meal allowance. Guaranteed 48 hours a week. Overtime is 50p extra an hour. I’m pretty certain it’s a flat rate throughout the week/weekends. They cover mainly the north of England, anything from Birmingham to Grimsby to Aberyswth (if that’s how you spell it) in North Wales, I think they go up to Carlisle but any remember. Watch out for the old hands getting all the best jobs. They have 4 depots, Enfield, Swindon, Warrington and one in Scotland in Livingston. When we had the really bad snow a few years ago Livingston essentially got shut down and a lot of work came to Warrington. It was bedlam.

They drive Volvo 450 4x2 units, most of then should be on a 62 plate by now and the trailers are anything from an 8m single axle to a 13m tandem. They do have some try axles but I think that’s mainly for the trunking. They also have some DAF CF 4x2 units on hire and some white MAN 6x2 units.

Everything is tail lift delivery. Beware of very old and very tight service areas/roadsides/back alleys. Also beware of heavy cages and heavy pallets which have been jammed in by the loaders but in the whole it should be loaded fairly decent. Make sure you go over the weigh bridge outside the transport office, thy were having problems with overloaded trailers, especially coming up to Christmas where they get as much on the trailer as possible.

The site is old but functional, they’ll try and big it up but it is old, it’s the old Safeway depot. They’ve built a ‘new’ gym above the canteen too, using all second hand repossessed equipment. Good food to be had in the canteen but don’t buy sausages in the afternoon as they are leftovers from mornings breakfast (no word of a lie lol, same goes for sausage butties out the vendors).

Great set of blokes to work with, watch out for a few of the higher management although in transport I believe they’ve just had a big shift around. The main transport manager hasn’t been there long.

That’s all I can think of for now lol, if you need anymore info then just give me a shout. Oh and be nice to the freezer lads if you ever go in there, great set of chaps who I do miss working with!

What wire twister says about the poster management is spot on lol. Oh and they run microlise too.

I forgot to add, the trailers will more than likely be multi temp’ (maybe not as bad coming up to Christmas) but be aware of having to tailift some of the load off to get to the frozen at the back. Not so good if you have a multi drop.

I was in iceland/dhl warrington earlier in the year.

Depot Seems Well organised , clean trucks, friendly staff.urine test first time there.
Problem with job is awkward stores . Terrible directions into store delivery areas and bad risk assessments. This kind of info is important for this kind of work.
Unloading is a pain pallet trucks onto tail lifts then dragging pallets of tail lifts, far from ideal can be hard work.
Its not a bad job but given the choice I’d rather be somewhere trunking.

passed assessement and samples but didnt fancy it so left am full time now no crap stores with staff to match, yeah bangin on about we stay legal id been doin induction and assessement 6hrs then they told me id be starting now, i was tired after all info so decided not for me as they said just poa for previous 6hrs yeah fine by them but dosnt stop you getting tired legal my arrsse

iceman1:
passed assessement and samples but didnt fancy it so left am full time now no crap stores with staff to match, yeah bangin on about we stay legal id been doin induction and assessement 6hrs then they told me id be starting now, i was tired after all info so decided not for me as they said just poa for previous 6hrs yeah fine by them but dosnt stop you getting tired legal my arrsse

If the trainer assessor told you to book the previous time on assessment and training as POA why didn’t you front up to them? Sometimes people lose sight of the bigger picture when the delivery window pressure is applied and need to be reminded of that.

i did mate, just said its legal so i said yeah but surely you can see ive been in work for 6 hrs so these runs will take me to poss over 15 he said no you be back before then, yeah heard that one before no thanks give someone else a chance i’l leave it bud, very shocked they were but i get work everywhere so dont have to put up with fools thats my choice

Trailer 5153 is a tri-axle with skirts. I have never seen that on anything other than deliveries. They can’t afford to pick and choose trailers so anything with a working fridge and tail-lift is out working and that is a relatively new trailer so it is only on site to de-kit and reload