DHL Driving Assessment

I’ve just gained my CAT C licence on Saturday just passed. Was bricking it all morning until my test. Somehow I found the nerves and had a really good confident drive. I got no minors. Was dead impressed with myself and this has given me a bit of a confidence boost.

Now I’m looking at going to an agency and doing the driver assessment for DHL (Livingston)

What should I expect? I’m a bit worried they’re going to be hoping I’m the best driver in the world. Does anyone know what this will involve?

pass c.png
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

Davek2611:
I’ve just gained my CAT C licence on Saturday just passed. Was bricking it all morning until my test. Somehow I found the nerves and had a really good confident drive. I got no minors. Was dead impressed with myself and this has given me a bit of a confidence boost.

Now I’m looking at going to an agency and doing the driver assessment for DHL (Livingston)

What should I expect? I’m a bit worried they’re going to be hoping I’m the best driver in the world. Does anyone know what this will involve?

Well done on your pass.

Out of interest, What agency did you use for DHL?

I think straight after you’ve got your license is the best time to do an assessment. That’s all they want a legal, safe drive that does not make the assessor nervous. Also expect 20 questions on WTD, drivers hours, highway code and if you’re unlucky, stopping distances.

ROG:

Thank you!

Well done on your pass.

Out of interest, What agency did you use for DHL?

Thank you!

I’m going with ADR Network. My mate does it for there.

stu675:
I think straight after you’ve got your license is the best time to do an assessment. That’s all they want a legal, safe drive that does not make the assessor nervous. Also expect 20 questions on WTD, drivers hours, highway code and if you’re unlucky, stopping distances.

Probably is, as my driving will still be at the training level, so no bad habits yet.

Would the 20 questions be written or verbally? I don’t want to be asked a stopping distance and stutter lol

I imagine I’ll be doing walk round checks too

It’s always been Multiple choice question sheet for me.
Yes the driving assessment would most likely start with walk around checks.
Things that caught me out include, don’t start the engine until you’ve checked the oil (you could be starting an engine with no oil, but also once you’ve sent the oil round the engine you have to wait ages for it to settle) you should be free to ask him how to do everything, he’s only checking what you remember to do, so you won’t be expected to know how to lift the bonnet or how to check the oil on that particular truck so you can ask.
Remember to put your tacho card in with manual entry of when you started the assessment. Will this be the first time using your card?

stu675:
It’s always been Multiple choice question sheet for me.
Yes the driving assessment would most likely start with walk around checks.
Things that caught me out include, don’t start the engine until you’ve checked the oil (you could be starting an engine with no oil, but also once you’ve sent the oil round the engine you have to wait ages for it to settle) you should be free to ask him how to do everything, he’s only checking what you remember to do, so you won’t be expected to know how to lift the bonnet or how to check the oil on that particular truck so you can ask.
Remember to put your tacho card in with manual entry of when you started the assessment. Will this be the first time using your card?

Great, thank you. I am confident with the walk round checks, but glad to know I’ll be able to ask for help. I’ve no idea what kind of truck it’ll be. I trained in a Volvo with an electronic oil gauge.

I was wondering what I’d do with my tacho, an dyes this will be the first time ever using it! I wasn’t sure if I’d need to use it for an assessment. But I’m sure he’ll tell me. I will make them aware that I’m a newly qualified driver so I hope they don’t expect me to know all this.

As you say, they’ll not expect you to know everything as a new pass. I did a Class 1 assessment with Tesco last month and they were great. They want you to pass as it’s another driver they can call on, so just drive like you did on test and you’ll be fine. For me it was a short written test on driving hours, WTD and Highway Code stuff, then out into the lorry for a couple and recouple, onto the road for 45 minutes to make sure you’re not a danger, finishing with a reverse onto a bay. The rest of the day was an induction, with a big focus on bridge strikes!

Hopefully it’ll be the same for you at DHL. All the best!

Goff118:
As you say, they’ll not expect you to know everything as a new pass. I did a Class 1 assessment with Tesco last month and they were great. They want you to pass as it’s another driver they can call on, so just drive like you did on test and you’ll be fine. For me it was a short written test on driving hours, WTD and Highway Code stuff, then out into the lorry for a couple and recouple, onto the road for 45 minutes to make sure you’re not a danger, finishing with a reverse onto a bay. The rest of the day was an induction, with a big focus on bridge strikes!

Hopefully it’ll be the same for you at DHL. All the best!

Thank you! Still waiting on the licence coming through.

Glad your class 1 went well. That’s the aim for me when I can afford the training.

Well done on passing your test!

I’ve recently had an assessment with DHL Trade Team.
I don’t know if all the DHL group use the same assessments.
This is how mine went…

A) 30 question test. Multi choice, paper copy.

B) Drug Test, via urine sample.

C) Alcohol test, via blow meter.

D) Trainer familiarizes you with vehicle.

E) Vehicle walk around checks.

F) Driving assessment. Approx 40 mins.

G) Interview.

Firstly; go along with a positive attitude
and enjoy the assessment. DHL actively recruit new passes. The assessor is their to guide you through your assessment. Anything you don’t know or don’t understand, simply let them know. They will help where they can. Being honest about your abilities in my opinion is the best option. Whatever the outcome, take on board the feedback and learn from the experience.
Good luck!

MDW:
Well done on passing your test!

I’ve recently had an assessment with DHL Trade Team.
I don’t know if all the DHL group use the same assessments.
This is how mine went…

A) 30 question test. Multi choice, paper copy.

B) Drug Test, via urine sample.

C) Alcohol test, via blow meter.

D) Trainer familiarizes you with vehicle.

E) Vehicle walk around checks.

F) Driving assessment. Approx 40 mins.

G) Interview.

Firstly; go along with a positive attitude
and enjoy the assessment. DHL actively recruit new passes. The assessor is their to guide you through your assessment. Anything you don’t know or don’t understand, simply let them know. They will help where they can. Being honest about your abilities in my opinion is the best option. Whatever the outcome, take on board the feedback and learn from the experience.
Good luck!

Thank you! I’m going through an agency, so I don’t know if I’ll get the interview.

This helps as now I can probably expect this and start reading up on stuff. I’m worried I forget something on the walk round check or how exam like it will be. Like will the person be standing marking me on everything I do.

Thanks, i do plan on learning from it whatever may happen, but I really want it.i just put so much pressure on myself with these things