DHL Argos Direct

Due to the lack of class 1 / 2 jobs available etc, I took a job as 7.5t driver for argos direct. Seemed like a good idea at the time, and it is without question better than nothing or a day here and there on the agency. 40 plus deliveries per day, most stuff 50 kilos plus and most customers live on the top floor of a block of flats without a lift! Can’t wait for the LGV jobs to pick up soon, think this will kill me if I end up doing it for too long! Anyone else gone from class one or two back to van or 7.5t multi drop?

rp1974:
Due to the lack of class 1 / 2 jobs available etc, I took a job as 7.5t driver for argos direct. Seemed like a good idea at the time, and it is without question better than nothing or a day here and there on the agency. 40 plus deliveries per day, most stuff 50 kilos plus and most customers live on the top floor of a block of flats without a lift! Can’t wait for the LGV jobs to pick up soon, think this will kill me if I end up doing it for too long! Anyone else gone from class one or two back to van or 7.5t multi drop?

Yeah I did that years ago from Stafford. Delivering Beds & furniture usually. 'orrible job for poor money. The worse runs were when you sent right to the outer limits of the depot’s coverage (A radius of 100 miles IIRC) & then ended up doing 30 odd drops with several miles between each drop. Not surprisingly their staff turn over was quite high, as even their directly employed drivers were payed peanuts.
Sometimes though the opposite happened & you’d get delivers near to the depot & you could be finished in six hours & still get a days pay. Those occasions were few & far between though.

I’ve just been for an assesment for Argos at the Scunny depot. It all seems ok, but I’m so used to being on my own, I’m not sure i’d like it, PLUS the fact that you are out with a regular driver as a back up if they run out of hours or don’t want to take any breaks.

Just seems to me like you are there as a lacky and just happen to have the correct qualifications to drive.

I might be telling the agency to forget me on that one, cos the more I think about it, the more I get that “DONT” gut feeling, :laughing:

count yourself lucky dhl ikea is much heavier than argos. :laughing: where abouts is your depot?

I worked at Argos through the agency for a few months, I’m assessed aswell but very rarely go there now. Infact its been a month exactly since I was last in.
I enjoy the home delivery side of it but the only down side is the amount of drops you could potentially have and also the distance, apart from that I enjoyed it.

The days of job and knock are over now (at least at my depot). 30 drops a day would be heaven, normally 40+ now. On the odd occassion when we finish soon after midday (very rare now) we have to go and help other drivers or sit around until 3. They are now going to only have one driver and a mate in each lorry now, the mate normally an agency worker. The money is actually not too bad for 7.5t, with bonus it is 22 - 23k, which I know is not the kings ransom, but is ok.

Avoid any job where you come face to face with the public,they’ll get you shot,some of them live in absolute squalor,a nightmare …keep well away.

Im Assessed to drive for them at Stafford. They use Extra Personel for their agency drivers (or they did a year ago). Stupid thing is, I never did one day of driving after my assesment. Always as a Swamper (Drivers Mate = Swamper here ), Basically doing the zb work while the driver dicks around not doing much. As for the driving standards, they dont seem to like to take breaks, very often tipping on break. Wont stop for you to take a toilet or food break.

So i turned round to the Agency after 2 days of this and said ‘Im a Driver, not a Labourer. From now on i will only work as a Driver, not anything else.’ Funilly enough, ive never heard anything from Extra again after that.

I worked for a contractor doing home delivery for MFI in the mid 90’s.
Job was approx 20 drops a day,from a single bed to a 1500kg,flat pack,kitchen or bedroom within 50 miles of base.
I used to find it was one extreme or the other.
You could either reverse down the driveway and the customer would say “In the garage is fine.” :smiley: , or,you couldn’t get within 50 yards of the drop due to poor access etc. and the customer would say “It’s all to go upstairs please.” :frowning:
IIRC,the heaviest item was a 68kg flatpack wardrobe.