DGSA

Hi all
Just want some views on how difficult this is to obtain, could a thick old lorry driver stand a chance :slight_smile:

I passed my cpc a few years ago, just to show i have some academic nouse

have you looked up through the net about this ,
worth a look plus PM Diesel Dave he will be
better informed than any one else as he teaches
ADR cert ,

Thanks Pete
No i havent, bank holiday and siting here doing invices…
Just thought i would be lazy and post it,but it is a serious question

Thanks

as said, Diesel Dave is the man you need to speak to, he teaches ADR and is also a qualified DGSA

danman:
Hi all
Just want some views on how difficult this is to obtain, could a thick old lorry driver stand a chance :slight_smile:

Hi danman, I wouldn’t mislead you mate, cos I must say right from the ‘off’ that the DGSA exams are very difficult indeed.

Having said that, I’m a thick old lorry driver, so anybody and everybody is in with a chance. :laughing: :smiley: :grimacing:

danman:
I passed my cpc a few years ago, just to show i have some academic nouse

I can tell you that the operator CPC is levelled as ‘level 3’ which equates to an “A” level in terms of the degree of difficulty of the exams.

The DGSA qualification is one of the few that aren’t levelled, so they’re giving me no help whatsoever in answering your question so far. :frowning:

The best I can do for you in terms of a description of the exams is to state the following:
The exams are ‘open-book,’ so you must take certain books with you into the exam room.
You’ll be examined on your knowledge of ADR and UK dangerous goods Regs, there are some differences between ADR and UK Regs, so you can bet your life that they’ll zero in on them and slip a couple of banana skins into the exam questions. :wink:
You must give proper written answers to each question and your legal references should be written in the spaces provided after most questions on the exam answer sheets.
There are NO multiple-choice answers in any of the DGSA exams.
ADR comes in two volumes totalling approx 1,300 pages and in order to pass the exams you must be totally familiar with how it all works and fits together.

In my experience, the commonest reasons for DGSA exam failure are that candidates allow themselves to be sidetracked and start writing lots of irrelevant stuff, then go on to make the (fatal) mistake of forgetting to write the legal reference for what they’ve just spent 20 mins writing.

Another common reason for failure is that candidates simply run out of time, usually cos they allow themselves to start reading loads of irrelevant stuff during the exam.

TBH mate, the operator CPC exam is a piece of cake in comparison to the DGSA exam. :open_mouth:
Being equally honest, I’d suggest that you consider what you’d do with the DGSA qualification once you’d got it, because I’d estimate it as needing the thick end of £1,000 to obtain once you consider the course, buying the necessary books, paying the exam marking fees and other sundry expenses.

Do you already hold an ADR certificate??

I’d say do it, if you can pass a CPC, there should be no reason why you wouldn’t pass the DGSA. I did mine when it came out (one of the first 100 to pass!). Though as Dave says it’s only worth it if you can get some value out of it. My collegue did it as well and also passed first time.

albion:
I’d say do it, if you can pass a CPC, there should be no reason why you wouldn’t pass the DGSA.

Hi albion, In my experience, I’ve found that people learn in different ways…

IMHO, from teaching both qualifications, there’s a world of difference between operator CPC and DGSA.
Operator CPC is (IMHO) a glorified memory test, because it’s not ‘open-book,’ and that suits some people who have good memories once they’ve learned their ‘stuff.’

On the other hand, DGSA (as you already know) is ‘open-book,’ but requires (IMHO) a different type of self-discipline to become proficient. With DGSA, you don’t need to remember everything ( :blush: unless you’re an anorak like me. :laughing: :blush: )
The skill in the DGSA exams is in the referencing, which isn’t even looked at in the operator CPC exams. :wink:

albion:
I did mine when it came out (one of the first 100 to pass!).

:open_mouth: Blimey, so was that back in the days of marginals?? :open_mouth: RESPECT. :smiley:
So, you’re on, or close to your third certificate.

My tactics were to let it all settle until 2003, then I did my first DGSA exams and passed all three first time, even though UK Regs were in about 10 skinny books. :smiley:
Since then, I’ve also done the re-qual exams and passed all three first time again. :smiley:

albion:
Though as Dave says it’s only worth it if you can get some value out of it. My collegue did it as well and also passed first time.

TBF, I’d give the same advice to anybody who asks, because very few people realise the true degree of difficulty and the required standard. I’ve had feedback from some DGSA candidates who intended on becoming consultants that suggests that they’re struggling to recoup the course and exam fees in earning from the qualification. I guess it’s OK for those who own a company, or are employed in a wider role within a large company, because the qualification is justified differently.

There are some folks (usually private bookings) who I’ve seen on both courses that I’d swear were only there because they thought it was a good idea at the time they booked, but found it difficult in practice in the cold light of day. You wouldn’t believe the numbers of drop-outs from CPC and DGSA courses that I’ve sometimes seen happening by lunchtime on a Monday. :wink:

For instance, some of the providers that I’ve taught for have a policy of assessing candidates for all courses to see whether they’d struggle, then they advise accordingly. If I were a provider, I couldn’t just take somebody’s money for tuition and tell them it’s a piece of cake for them to become a DGSA, because that simply isn’t true.

To each his (or her) own though… :smiley:
BTW, I’m not suggesting that the OP falls into the “I’m thinking about it cos it’s a good idea” brigade. :smiley:

true dave, everyone does learn differently. I have the memory of an elephant (some even say I look like one :laughing: ) I guess it’s about knowing what learning style suits you.

I only did the one and then ‘delegated’ it, on the grounds that it would be good for his career progression, ahem! :laughing:

you just reminded me of the first day that we did ours and got sent home to do some homework - I swear the earliest anyone went to bed was midnight and we all came back the following morning shell-shocked! Quite funny looking back on it

albion:
true dave, everyone does learn differently. I have the memory of an elephant (some even say I look like one :laughing: ) I guess it’s about knowing what learning style suits you.

I only did the one and then ‘delegated’ it, on the grounds that it would be good for his career progression, ahem! :laughing:

you just reminded me of the first day that we did ours and got sent home to do some homework - I swear the earliest anyone went to bed was midnight and we all came back the following morning shell-shocked! Quite funny looking back on it

Hi albion, I’ve known quite a few people who took a DGSA course and exams when it first came out, only to let it lapse and not requalify. Sticking with honesty being the best policy, I’d say that you would find the modern DGSA exams relatively easy compared to when you did yours.
If you remember the old UK Regs (CDG 96, CDGCPL2, TDGSA, DTR, RAM, ACL, CER etc) you’ll be glad to know that they’ve all been revoked. :smiley:

:open_mouth: I also remember the 4 or 5 hours of homework after each day’s tuition, but looking back on it all, I must have enjoyed it because I first did an ADR instructor course that was very similar in terms of the amount of homework.
Due to the availability of the courses, I then went on to do my DGSA qualification pretty much straight afterwards. :open_mouth: