DFDS Charter Extra Ferry

Having experienced the delays first hand last week with DFDS its good to hear that they have chartered another boat to increase capacity in the Dover - Dunkerque route. so the departures will increase from every 2 hours to every 1.5 hours. Really can’t see Seafrance sailing again.

dfdsseaways.co.uk/about-us/p … tPMMvLHEld

Yes, it’s the “Norman Spirit” which used to do Portsmouth- Le Havre.

is it me or does that look very like the Aquataine :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

That’s the old Pride of Aquitaine that P&O had. It crashed in Calais when they had it. Before that it was on Oostende - Dover/Ramsgate as the Prins Fillip, a linkspan collapsed when it was loading in Ramsgate in the mid nineties and 5 or 6 people died.

Enjoy your sail on it and I believe there is no truth in the rumour the master is called Captain Jonah. :wink: :smiley:

Box Shifter:
is it me or does that look very like the Aquataine :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

That’s because it is. :smiley:

Coffeeholic:
That’s the old Pride of Aquitaine that P&O had. It crashed in Calais when they had it. Before that it was on Oostende - Dover/Ramsgate as the Prins Fillip, a linkspan collapsed when it was loading in Ramsgate in the mid nineties and 5 or 6 people died.

Enjoy your sail on it and I believe there is no truth in the rumour the master is called Captain Jonah. :wink: :smiley:

The prins fillip was a crackin boat on oostende lines. Good times :exclamation:

Thank god …DFDS hasn’t been the most punctual since Seafrance went on strike, I moved to DFDS
about 6 months ago from P & O and I have well impressed every sailing has been ontime and always got the next boat till last week when I done a quick trip to Arnhem and back and waited 3 & half hours with no coffee :frowning: at Dunquerque and the food is quite good

I reckon the Sally Star will be back next. :wink:

Harry Monk:

Maybe even the SOFE, POFE and HOFE. :wink:

Definitely not the Herald, that was broken up a fair while ago.

I was actually booked on that crossing, and would have been on it if only the Belgian Police hadn’t turned up and drawn a chalk line around my truck in Drongen services. I missed it by 3 seconds.

Harry Monk:
Definitely not the Herald, that was broken up a fair while ago.

I was actually booked on that crossing, and would have been on it if only the Belgian Police hadn’t turned up and drawn a chalk line around my truck in Drongen services. I missed it by 3 seconds.

:smiley:
If everyone that was booked on it actually got on it, it would have sunk on the linkspan! The queue for it must have been back to the Kennedy Tunnel.

The Herald Of Free Enterprise never carried any passengers again. She was refloated, renamed and taken to be scrapped. Just a nerdy ferry fact there.

switchlogic:
The Herald Of Free Enterprise never carried any passengers again. She was refloated, renamed and taken to be scrapped. Just a nerdy ferry fact there.

‘Flushing Range’
Got towed to Tailand for scrapping with another Townsend freighter the MV Gaelic. Both broke lose in a storm off the cape and were adrift for a few days.

I’m a bit of a ferry nerd. I can spend hours reading about ferries and companies. Today’s fact I learnt which surprised me is that the Stena Nordica, which incidentally I was on yesterday on one of the roughest crossings I’ve ever encountered, was originally owned by P&O Irish Sea and served the Mostyn - Dublin route, which I used a lot.

Think I need to join a ferry forum. Anybody know any?

Also the captain made me chuckle after the crossing from hell yesterday, as we came into Dublin he came in the tannoy and said ‘well, what can I say!’

I love a rough crossing! And if the three conventional ferries out of Holyhead start to struggle you know it’s bad. I’ve never known such a reliable route, even more so considering the weather it gets.

Sorry I’ve gone off on a complete tangent.

Harry Monk:

Any relation to Sally Traffic ■■? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

switchlogic:
I’m a bit of a ferry nerd. I can spend hours reading about ferries and companies. Today’s fact I learnt which surprised me is that the Stena Nordica, which incidentally I was on yesterday on one of the roughest crossings I’ve ever encountered, was originally owned by P&O Irish Sea and served the Mostyn - Dublin route, which I used a lot.

Think I need to join a ferry forum. Anybody know any?

Also the captain made me chuckle after the crossing from hell yesterday, as we came into Dublin he came in the tannoy and said ‘well, what can I say!’

I love a rough crossing! And if the three conventional ferries out of Holyhead start to struggle you know it’s bad. I’ve never known such a reliable route, even more so considering the weather it gets.

Sorry I’ve gone off on a complete tangent.

doverferryphotosforums.co.uk there you go Luke

And another finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/F … =314937203

I’m a bit out of the loop at the moment, I take it Sea France are still not running ferries? If so, this must be the longest 48-hour suspension of service I have ever known. :wink:

glen958:
And another finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/F … =314937203

Thank you, ferry chat ahoy!

I thought I was the only ferry/boat nerd in the uk thank good I’m not alone.
The Irish sea certainly get choppy. My mum is adamant that as a child in the early 60s going back to see family when the boats carried cattle below deck that my grandad took her and my uncle down to see the animals and it was so rough that she saw a cow vomit.