Devon companies

hi jamie , what about HOLMENS anybody remember them

G’day,
here you go mate a couple more Stofords,all taken in thier yard between '88 and '91. I’m pretty sure that I’ve only those two of Madderns. I’ll have a dig for some Gregorys,I know I’ve a couple and stick them up in a day or so. Yes I do remember Holmen Haulage,I think they were from Exeter and Cardif,unfortunatly I don’t have any photos,I distinctly remember them running light blue Merc SKs and curtain siders that looked very well worked. I don’t know what happened to them?
Cheers Jamie

If my memory serves me right some of them sed atkis had big engines in them,cant remember what they were,no doubt somebody out there will tell me.
regards dave.

some more great photos of stofords

danny

G’day,
here’s a few of Gregery’s,well two anyway,the Sed Atki was run by a subbie from Tiverton,not sure what his name was and I can’t see a name on the cab. The M.A.N was always a favourite of mine,pretty sure it was previously owned by A.D Smythe Transport from Barnstaple,the trailer definatly was as you can see ADS 22 on the front of it. Smythes ran a realy smart light and dark green fleet of Mercs,Volvos,M.A.Ns and Scanies pulling curtains and flats,unfortunatIy I haven’t any photos of them. If someone does please stick 'em up,or if anyone know what happened to them let us know.
As for Stofords Atkis having big motors,yeah it rings a bell,I do remember someone saying thay they did,but how big I don’t remember.Pretty sure they were ■■■■■■■■
Cheers Jamie

Great pics Jamie,heres a few cuttings of devon lorries…then a couple of Smythes. :laughing:

Keep the pics coming Jamie,all good stuff :laughing:

Cheers Bubbs. :wink:

Hi all A.D. Smythe was bought out by Gregory’s years ago. At the time Smythe was the main haulier out of the chipboard factory at South Molton Gregory bought them because they wanted the work, which they are still doing to this day.
Eggbeer’s where bought out by M Way & Son a couple of years ago.
A.E Stuart are the main Volvo service agent for the south west now. They don’t run trucks any more but are big farmers have a landfill site and do bulk animal feed storage.Hope this helps.

Does anybody remember a haulier called Weslakes , from nr Plymouth. Reason i ask is the firm i worked for at the time used to get backloads via them but i only went to thier yard once(early 80s) . Even then it was like stepping back into time.

G’day,
good on ya Bubbs mate,legend,I’ve been looking for Smythes photos for years,ta mate. Thanks for the info Big Bear,I remember thier curtains having a sliding roof as they carted wood chips,so the chip board mill makes sense . No weslake photos I’m afraid,don’t remember them either,sorry mate. I found a couple more Gregory’s both from 91. Also two pretty crappy Smythe pics from the late eightys.
Cheers have a good weekend Jamie

Been reading various threads on this site, this one and scrapbook memories of real interest so thought it was time to register. Takes me back to the early 80’s when i would be off on my moped taking pictures of any truck i could find in the North Devon area. Anyone got any pic’s of Torridge’s Atkinson Borderers or Lameys Mandators

what happenned to the pixie squadron? anyone know?

Following on from the pics of Smythe’s MAN YUN 813W, does anyone know if they ran a Volvo F10 with the reg YUN 814W?. This truck was later owned and run by Colin Davey but still had a 2 tone green livery.
Another Daveys truck in the same livery was a Volvo F10 ROD 91X - did this one start life with Smythe’s?

Finally, has anyone got any pics of YUN 814W or ROD 91X with any of their owners?

Thanks

Sam

swiftnick:
what happenned to the pixie squadron? anyone know?

Brian Harris? went bankrupt back in 1999 I think…Candy Tiles took them for a lot of dosh

EDIT: apologies for implying he ended in this way - meant to put ‘closed down’ - will change/delete it if reqd…have a book at home which details his history, in fact my ‘Y’ plate Ford Ranger pick-up used to belong to him.

Very well respected co. by all accounts

MHJ Trant?

Nick Rowell?

Bowlease? - Plymouth

How about some pics of B Thompson’s fleet used to run Fodens and I think were quite an early Renault user.

Are they still operating?

Cheers
Mark

Brian Harris never went bankrupt in 1999. He closed down in 2001 and auctioned everyting off.

G’day,
Back to Smythe’s again it’s possable that W.C Hockin of Barnstaple may have bought some of Smythe’s motors,I’ve photos of some of Billy Hockin’s early Volvos but not sure if he bought them new. As for Torridge Trasnport from Torrington,yes I have some pics but none of thier Borderers,bit before my time. You were lucky to have a moped John,I could only go as far as my pushie would get me,stick your photos up mate if you still have them.
I do remember Thompsons running red and white Renault and Foden curtains and flats,I’ll have a look for some pics.
Found another shot of an Eggbeers waggon,taken at Exeter services in 91. The Torridge Atk comes from a 1986 magazine,would have been a big banger back then with 320 horse,must have been a Gardener strait eight.
Cheers Jamie

Bill Hockin (William C.Hockin) was a driver for Symthe’s before he started on his own as far as I know. I’m not sure he bought any of Smythe’s old units, he use to have an old Fiat four wheeler (rigid) with trilex wheels on. I know he bought new from “Y” reg 82 onwards because he had his first F12 in the Barnstaple carnival brand spanking new. Although in recent years most of his trucks come second hand from Handbury Riverside.
B Thompsons from Moretonhampstead are still going strong with a fleet of second hand Renaults. :smiley:

Jamie,

That Torridge Transport Seddon Atki was one of a limited edition of “Knights” themed vehicles.
There was a Silver Knight and an o/d from Scotland ran the Black Knight on fridge work.
They were a bit of a last ditch attempt to get owner drivers interested in the SA brand by fitting a few extras at a reduced price, history shows it didnt work…

The Torridge truck was originally white all over, Bubbleman might be able to find a pic of it as I know it was on the cover of Commercial Motor at the time.

Cheers
Mark

p.s Good to hear from Big Bear that Thompsons are still on the go!

im sure that Gregory`s erf was there yard shunter @ the north tawnton depot in 2005/06 and the bloke who had it from new still works there :smiley:

with regard to the stoford motors the reg ctc 822 im sure that was on the wilkinson fleet out of exeter. did stoford buy some second hand and stretch them. i know in the early eighties lex wilkinson bought all there atki’s 0n a 2 yr buy back. love all the photo’s brings back lots of memories.
buf :open_mouth: