Devon companies

:slight_smile:

bubbleman:
Hello again,heres the red 140 you wanted Jamie,plus a few more including a Watts Renault. :laughing:

Hope these are ok

Cheers Marc. :wink:

6LX:
Burgoyne"s Transport of Kingsbridge,Devon.
1967 Commer 4 Wheeler.

Norman Croad,Torquay.

Hi Norm,

Do you remember George Dandridge also from Kingsbridge? Green lorries - 4 wheelers doing sand, gravel, blocks and cement…packed up in the 70’s, I believe.

In the late 80s I did a few trips in to Reeves in Totnes, I worked for a timber merchant down Kingsbridge way and used to go there to pick up packs of timber and pick-up/drop off packs for tanalising in their big tank.

Richardjw1:

6LX:
Burgoyne"s Transport of Kingsbridge,Devon.
1967 Commer 4 Wheeler.

Norman Croad,Torquay.

Hi Norm,

Do you remember George Dandridge also from Kingsbridge? Green lorries - 4 wheelers doing sand, gravel, blocks and cement…packed up in the 70’s, I believe.

In the late 80s I did a few trips in to Reeves in Totnes, I worked for a timber merchant down Kingsbridge way and used to go there to pick up packs of timber and pick-up/drop off packs for tanalising in their big tank.

Hi Richard
Yes i remember Dandridge & Burgoyne"s Kingsbridge,wen i was a Boi,used to go everywhere in the lorry with my father, My father drove for Reeve"s at Totnes,In the 60s,He had a Micky Mouse Foden 150 Gardner
& a 4 in line flat trailer,doing Long distance…
Norman Croad,Torquay.

David Miller:
Tolley and Smale - now there was a company!
You had Black Victor as your star driver didn’t you? I shall be seeing him next week.
Were you involved with them Lorry Lady?
David

Was married to one of Tolleys drivers(in the dim distant past !)Used to go Scotch in one of their Mandators (RUO 405H)And used to shunt stuff round the Toy works before I had an HGV!Actually have a list of their drivers,sadly many are not with us now and weve been to many of their funerals,each time there are less old faces.Think this is most of them:Colin Jones,Alan Dennis(fitter),Chris Lintern,GwynnChurchill,GrahamWright,Pop Sulley,Tony Westacott(Animal),Brian Warminton,Clive Lilley,Terry Sprague,Geoff Roberts,Brian Wilton,Bill Mahony(Wild Bill) Wilfie Barnard,Martin Almond(passed away recently having retired to Spain),Dave Jury(Gibbles),Kenny Adams(Big Kenny,went on to N.D.M later),Harry Worth,Roger Bennet,Brian Jury,Alan Jury,Alan Storr,Reggie Hicks,Brian Tilke,Freddie Hosegood,Andy Simmonds,Dave Herniman,Jimmy Sutton,Derek Sutton,??Braithwaite,Derek Emery(Applejack)Keith Reid (Bootsie)Kenny Smith,??Cadman(chap with loads of tattoos)Neil Russel,Stevie Bryant,Dave Chivers,Micky Watts,Jack Harkness,Don Kersey,Vic Rogers(Black Victor),Georgie Harman,Roger Squires(The Squire of Barnstaple),Taffy ■■,Alan Wilton,Mike Richardson,Ginger Wooldridge or Warmington,cant remember his last name.He stayed when Cedar were running from Tolleys yard. Several of them worked on Smythes,Torridge, North Devon meat and Lameys as well at various times. Roy Jury was half of R&G later.Clive Lilley ran a shop in Bideford,hes also passed away.Think Dave Chivers went on to drive coaches.Bill Mahony is still driving,mostly Continental. Thats worn my marbles out for now!

intertype7:
Thanks again for the brilliant browse, Bubbleman and all. Brought back lots of memories from when I was a kid riding with the old man in a Tone Vale Transport Leyland, etc. Before the Octopus he drove a Rutland - bet not many can remember them.
just a couple of thoughts - I remember Watts of Braunton using two-stroke Commers on cattle work in the early 1960s. Hearing one pulling hard up through Wiveliscombe with a holed front exhaust box was a noise never to be forgotten. Shaplands operated out of Landkey, near Barnstaple, if I remember rightly. Not to be confused with Shapland and Petter, the furniture firm from Barnstaple who had quite a big fleet.
I’d like to know what happened to Alan Coles (AGC, Cullompton), too. I first met him when he was driving an old-style AEC Mammoth Major eight legger and pup for a Mrs Venner, of Shillingford, in the early '60s. He then went on to work with my old man on TVT and then Taunton Meat Haulage. I used to think he was the biz because he would to pick me up for a lift home if he saw me standing on the bus stop after school in Taunton. He went out on his own after the TMH continental operation fell apart in the mid-1970s. The old man did a couple of months in the office for him before emigrating to Australia in the mid '80s. Last time I saw Alan he was driving a Rolls-Royce! His younger brother Clifford - also once a TVT/TMH driver, is still around - I saw him last year, anyway.
I once almost managed to buy a bungalow from Martin Hayman’s brother Mike, who had a coalyard near Weillington. Usual story - my buyer backed out and somebody turned up with more money than me.
Ahh, memories, memories…

Used to live almost opposite TVTs yard in Wiveliscombe(& Ross Poultry packers),they used to store masses of cardboard in a store shed beside our house which was in a really narrow street and watching them back into it was something to see!TVT only had one artic to start with and a chap called Bill Mahony used to drive it.There used to be Langdons egg packers next to TVTs yard.Not sure but I think maybe Alan Coles was bought out by Gregorys.Alans brother Clifford used to flash round in yellow Lotus.Peter Langdon ran the firm then(although in actual fact it was his Mother Molly who had the last word!)They also owned the newsagents in Wivey.

Hi,I beleive Allan Coles went to live abroad
but came back with ill health
but i beleive Allan passed away
Very nice chap too

Norman Croad,Torquay.

In the 70s when I was a restless young man I used to travel any distance by sticking my thumb out for a lift. I covered quite a few miles in the UK, Europe and Canada and the USA this way. I recall one particular lift that I got from Keele services on the M6 to the ring-road around ■■■■■■■■■■■ ( I was on the way to Scrabster to catch the ferry to Orkney). The lift was in an Ergo cab AEC Mandator of Thompsons of Moretonhampstead. This would be around 1972/73 and chatting to the driver he told me that he had been in Alaska, Kodiak Island if my memory serves, and that he was hoping to earn enough money from driving to go to Australia. I know it’s one helluva long shot but does anyone recall this driver? I would guess he was in his late twenties and for some crazy reason this memory was triggered today when I saw an AEC Mandator.

Not such a long shot!
We did indeed have a driver who had been to Alaska and who went on to emigrate to Australia. What happened after that I have no idea and, for the moment, I can’t even recall the chaps name. Getting old is no fun at all.

David

Thanks David - the lift was well over 40 years ago and I’m please to know that he made it to Australia. What a small world!

Thinking on I do remember that he overcame the sleeper cab problem by carrying a tent which he would pitch alongside the motor and I do remember that Robert Thompson got a letter from him in Australia where he was working as a driver.

But I still can’t remember his name! There are a couple of boys who I can ask so I will.

David.

Eggbeers of Newton Abbot Devon
AEC Chinese 6

Norman Croad. Torquay.
(Ex Harris & Miners Driver)

6LX:

AEC Chinese 6

Norman Croad. Torquay.

Nice shot of the Mustang Norm ! Nelsons of Arnside ( who you will no doubt recall) ran two Mustangs, one of which they had bought new which had IIRC a 22ft platform and the other one they bought secondhand from John Ion a Milnthorpe O/D when he bought a new ERF 8 wheeler, but this second Mustang had a 24ft platform which always look terrible because of the over hang and how they ever kept the drive axle legal is anyone’s guess but “Big John” was a greedy bugger :wink: so he would have wanted the longer body and, of course, things were not as strict in those late 50’s/early 60’s days eh!. Regards Dennis.

Hele, Cullompton based Scania.

6LX:
Hi,I beleive Allan Coles went to live abroad
but came back with ill health
but i beleive Allan passed away
Very nice chap too

Norman Croad,Torquay.

Alan Gordon Coles, AGC transport passed away 15th august 2013 ,

6LX:

AEC Chinese 6

Norman Croad. Torquay.

A E C Mustang.

A real long shot here ,would any one have any photos of P.B.Brown from Sheepwash mostly cattle lorries but did a bit of cattle feed to farms as well. Maybe someone has some market photos Holsworthy , Hatherley with lorries in.
Here’s one I used to drive from devon

Cliff luxton:
A real long shot here ,would any one have any photos of P.B.Brown from Sheepwash mostly cattle lorries but did a bit of cattle feed to farms as well. Maybe someone has some market photos Holsworthy , Hatherley with lorries in.
Here’s one I used to drive from devon

have you tried Johnathan Parkhouse, Cliff

Smythes MAN from Barnstaple.

clip smythe devon man ppg.PNG

G’day,
not sure if there is a Devon company thread,so I’ll start one. I’ve posted these photos on Bubbleman’s scrapbook thread,but thought I’d better start another.
To start is Stoford Transport from Willand,they had quite a lage fleet of Sed Atkis when I took these photos in the early ninetys,I think they only had one Merc.
Next up a couple of Madderns from Exeter,they were linked to a few different haulage companies,Wild group being one of them.
I’ve quite a few photos,so if anyone has any requests sing out. Cheers Jamie

hi jamie do you ave any more madderns and stofords and have you any on gregorys from the 90s

regards

danny