Detroit Diesel Engines

Detroit diesel engines 60 Series , { which were straight 6 cylinder } engines were seen as an alternative to ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ Cat/ etc. ERF fitted some one was run by K&P Iddon of Leyland , has anyone out there any information etc relating to this engine .

The 60 Series is probably the best diesel engine ever made…so far :sunglasses:

Decent power (up to 500hp) reliable and fuel efficient, average B2 service life of 1.2 million miles, superb…

Merc Axor engine iirc

No the Axor engine was, as Daimler Ag own both Merc and DD, branded as a Detroit for a while I believe, but the Axor engine is/was a South American Mercedes Benz design and is no relation to the 60 series, which was in fact a John Deere design that was a bit too technical for tractors, so sold to DD.

Are you sure about the service life of that engine? Most engines in that size range, including the newer DD13, have a B50 life of around 1 million miles.

frontier-intl.com/Big%20Bore … 0Guide.pdf

newmercman:

Decent power (up to 500hp) reliable and fuel efficient, average B2 service life of 1.2 million miles, superb…

Have to agree… a very gutsy engine to perform and definitely easier on fuel than a 3406

Now you’ve started something- won’t be long before the USA branch at Leatherhead pops up! :wink:

newmercman:

I`am surprised this engine didn’t make a bigger inroads into ERF/ S/ATKINSON /FODEN etc ? .

My cousins had one in a foden 4000 series a bad earth stop it reving up.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Now you’ve started something- won’t be long before the USA branch at Leatherhead pops up! :wink:

My thoughts exactly… is Mr Dan Punchard a stooge for our friend from Leatherhead… :question: :question: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

gingerfold:

Retired Old ■■■■:

My thoughts exactly… is Mr Dan Punchard a stooge for our friend from Leatherhead… :question: :question: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

No, Dan is from Derbyshire so he talks sense…not non sense! :slight_smile:

Pete.

It says in here that the 60 series has a B50 life of 850,000 miles:
dieselpowermag.com/features/ … ewall.html

Are these new Mercedes/Detroit engines designed in Germany or America?

I had a Detroit 60 in an Iveco Eurostar pulling a B Double fridge set, new in 99 through to 2001, it went alright, I never really had a trouble with it. It was spected with a ceramic clutch and clutch brake as well which I never liked. You had to sit out of gear at traffic light as the clutch would heat up, to move of you pushed the clutch down to the first stop then through to the full position. I never really saw the good side to it but the guys pulling triple trains thought it was a great idea. It also had a 3 stage Jake brake. It was tipped in at 500,000 km then I got a FH with a ■■■■■■■■

Jeff…

[/quote]
Basic design and development is German for all the Mercedes, DD, MTU and Mitsubishi Fuso variants of the “world engine series” although there are considerable local modifications made for each market and application.

The DD60 is not one of these engines, and as has previously been said is American DD, based on an original John Deere design. I wonder what happened to the 50 series, the 8 litre, 4 cylinder version, did anybody ever fit it in volume?

As nmm said the Axor engine is no relation to a DD, it was built in Brazil from a design which could be said to be an Actros V6, straightened out. I believe that Freightliner did offer it for a while called MB2000, or similar.

acd1202:

Basic design and development is German for all the Mercedes, DD, MTU and Mitsubishi Fuso variants of the “world engine series” although there are considerable local modifications made for each market and application.
[/quote]
Interesting- the DD13 seems to have been launched in the States before the OM471 version in Europe.

acd1202:
The DD60 is not one of these engines, and as has previously been said is American DD, based on an original John Deere design. I wonder what happened to the 50 series, the 8 litre, 4 cylinder version, did anybody ever fit it in volume?

As nmm said the Axor engine is no relation to a DD, it was built in Brazil from a design which could be said to be an Actros V6, straightened out. I believe that Freightliner did offer it for a while called MB2000, or similar.

Not quite, as I remember it- it was a straight six version of the earlier OM400 series, used in the LP, NG and SK. That link to a table of engine lives, that I posted earlier, mentions it.

hi, I drove a Bedford tm when they first come out, that had a detroit two stroke engine. not sure if it was a v6 or straight 6. it pulled ok, but did run fast on tickover. had a fuller range change and you had a job to get it in gear sometimes on tickover. ray.

Hi

Question for the experts.
Was it not the Detroit Diesel that ERF used when doing their gas converted engines? Not the dual fuelled one that I believe Foden had a go with ,the one I’m thinking about was 100% gas fuelled, either CNG or LNG.

Cheers Bassman

Hiya you know who is maybe on holiday as nothing has been said yet. in fact a fire engine has just gone past our house maybe
he,s driving that.shugg may be a newcomer and dosn’t know what he may have started…he’ll soon find out.
night night
John

shugg:
Detroit diesel engines 60 Series , { which were straight 6 cylinder } engines were seen as an alternative to ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ Cat/ etc. ERF fitted some one was run by K&P Iddon of Leyland , has anyone out there any information etc relating to this engine .

Hiya ERF fitted at least one V8, i think it went down to Aus. it was a 8 legger with a steel cab.that was in 1968. i worked on the cab bonnet and sides, they was not standard as they lower than the taller ■■■■■■■ nhk 270 engine been fitted at the time one another order.
John

3300John:
Hiya you know who is maybe on holiday as nothing has been said yet. in fact a fire engine has just gone past our house maybe
he,s driving that.shugg may be a newcomer and dosn’t know what he may have started…he’ll soon find out.
night night
John

It looked like a bit of a full moon floating past our patio doors last night John,so IIRC do the men in “white coats” still have a round up prior to the Full moon as it can have a funny effect on some of the population,so that may account for “CF”'s absence on the site :open_mouth: Locally in our neck of the woods “they” some of our ex drivers reckoned the full moon affected some of the Nelsons of Arnside family,seriously,they are all RIP now so I’m not offending anyone :wink: Cheers Dennis.PS and it wasn’t drink last night either :blush: