Detatched Retina, drive again?

Hi
New to the Forum,PLEASE can anyone help me.
I am awaiting surgery next week for a detached retina which was the result of an accident while at work.
What I need to know is if there are any other HGV drivers who have gone through the same thing and if so did you go back to driving HGV’s after the surgery? :frowning:

Can’t answer for you but maybe you can tell me something,my father in law has the same thing and was told by his doctor 18 months ago that within 1 year he would have to stop driving but nothing more has been said but when you go in the car with him he carn’t see.What i would like to no is will the doctor just ask you not to drive or will he tell the dvla,he is 76 and cannot have surgery.Are you still driving your car?

Detached retina operations have a high success rate a lot of people have surgery and do return to driving work some may need glasses some dont my partner is an optometrist and has said you should be ok a lot of it depends how your vision is after surgery you may need couple weeks to recover

Thanks for reply’s, I have had successful surgery using silicon oil and regained my sight.
Still on the sick for a month, after which my surgeon advised that I will have the oil removed in another op and then with a corrective contact lens I will be allowed to drive HGV,s again.

Good to hear buddy nice to see you return to the industry mate