Desperate to find work

hi folks just wondering if anyone could offer me a van driving job i only have cat c1 but desperatly need work im 46 with 20 years experience anything within 12 miles of walsall gaz

Can’t help I’m afraid, do you mean class 1 though? C1 is 7.5t…

If you’re after van/7.5t work, the agencies normally go mad this time of year with parcel courier and electrical goods work. Hope that helps…

Edit; sorry, should’ve read your post better. The agency idea still stands though.

i want a proper job id rather live in a cardboard box than drive for them agency clowns its there fault theres no normal jobs anymore

How is it the Agencys fault?

when you go into an agency and ask for work all they want to know is where you worked before they then phone them up and take another job of the normal jobs market what good is an agency job anyway you cant buy an house get credit or anything plus they do nothing but mess people around i hate them

Have you tried the supermarket home delivery. Get on the websites for Asda,Sainsbury, Tesco, Waitrose, Morrisons, Iceland, Ocado etc, etc and find the stores within the 12 mile radius hit the phones, go in to the shops. Generally put yourself in the mind of people who may be hiring. :bulb: :bulb:

I can’t help you, it’s not my part of the world but I just wanted to say good luck and I hope you find something. I know that’s not much help but I mean it, I really do.

thanks mate i only got made redundant last week but im gutted i will work for minimum wage i just need someone to give me 30 hours plus a week

Join the club with many others as well as other people who have been laid off

Best thing to do is print off you CV go to all the places with in the radius & hand in also phone all the companies in your area

I know what you mean abut agency but a lot of companies are now using then now to employ the right person & yes they would like a checkable work history same as a company would what is wrong with that :question: :question:

swellbelly:
thanks mate i only got made redundant last week but im gutted i will work for minimum wage i just need someone to give me 30 hours plus a week

I was laid off 3 week ago so know that feeling & not much work about

swellbelly:
when you go into an agency and ask for work all they want to know is where you worked before they then phone them up and take another job of the normal jobs market what good is an agency job anyway you cant buy an house get credit or anything plus they do nothing but mess people around i hate them

I’d never defend them, I think they’re pondlife but they’re paying my bills while I look for something better. Just my view really but surely it’d be a better Xmas for you than the dole’s likely to give you.

TBH the way this weather is atm I will stay indoors we have upto 32" here & no buses are running most schools closed & did get down to bout -15 last night

swellbelly:

Agency ££s are just as spendable as any youll get with a giros. Swallow your pride, earn a few quid on agency up to xmas to put bread on the table, and keep yourself from slipping into the depressing spiral that is long term unemployment. Keep your options open, working agency doesnt have to be a long term option if you don`t want it to be. There are a lot of TNUK members who regularly work for various agencies and make a very good living out of it … inc me

I am registered with several agencies up till 3 week ago had been working non stop since feb on them but contracts end so move on it has its advantages

You can chose if you want to take that job or not the variety you can get & the experience ( yes you say have been doing it for 20 years ) but you can get to drive a variety of vehicles etc I have been in transport for 17 years & still learning thing

The dis advantage is waiting for the phone to ring to see if there is any work that day or you calling them up each day

So I wouldnt dismiss it totally it is an option & better than nowt

Ang the day a driver says he cant learn anything new in the transport industry is the day they need to hang up the keys and find another occupation, simply because they have become a danger to themselves and to others.

Having spent 30 years in the industry never a month went by that I never learned something new regardless how trivial it was, having said that, thats NOT the reason I retired Lol

I have sent you a PM