Derby to Dolgellau?

Hi all got a delivery into Wales tomorrow morning, somewhere we rarely go. As I’ve not been driving long I thought I’d seek advise on which route would be best as I know some A roads can get ropey I’m not sure which ones though.

It’s a 7 am delivery so traffic is t an issue just really really high valleys might be ?

Any advise is greatly appriciated

Thanks

I go Shrewsbury ,Welshpool,I guess you know the rest.

You will want all your horses pulling up over the Bwlch y Groes pass, but as Dan says that’s your best route.

Watch out for the Log Lorries coming at ya flat out :wink:

Nice place to go to, used to deliver there once per week for Marley (drain pipes) in a rigid / prime mover, so lots of horses and no weight :grimacing:

stick to the green roads

The run to Dolgellau is definitely one of the nicer ones on a sunny day. All roads once you leave the A5 at Shrewsbury are a bit crap for a lorry so you can’t go hell for leather and might as well enjoy the drive. That part of the UK is one of my favourite places to do runs.

No big hills to worry about.

Conor:
The run to Dolgellau is definitely one of the nicer ones on a sunny day. All roads once you leave the A5 at Shrewsbury are a bit crap for a lorry so you can’t go hell for leather and might as well enjoy the drive. That part of the UK is one of my favourite places to do runs.

What’s crap about the A49 or A448/483 to Newtown,these roads are fine ,if you want some poor roads in Wales try the heart of Wales road run.

Go there regularly.
FYI It is pronounced Doll-geth-lee.

samc1992:
As I’ve not been driving long I thought I’d seek advice
on which route would be best.

Sounds like you need a TomTom Truck 5150 for Christmas.

Treat yourself.

Clunk:
Go there regularly.

that’s useful (the times ive made a ■■■■ of myself asking for directions :smiley: :smiley: ) don’t suppose you would like to add a few more translations ■■? :smiley:

That statue in rhyadar is fun when turning left if you’ve never been there before.

The ind est in Dolgellau is fun too you go through a car park and through the gap in the trees nice place to stop for the night too very quiet.

Dan Punchard:

Conor:

What’s crap about the A49 or A448/483 to Newtown,these roads are fine ,if you want some poor roads in Wales try the heart of Wales road run.

Once you get off those and start going west they get a bit more twisty.

whoever said go "you will need all your horses going up the Bwlch y groes " is a clown , why would you go up there ■■? follow signs from welshpool , piece of ( welsh ) cake : ) : )

mark haywood:
whoever said go "you will need all your horses going up the Bwlch y groes " is a clown , why would you go up there ■■? follow signs from welshpool , piece of ( welsh ) cake : ) : )

I said it, why the clown comment ? If he came out onto the A470 from Welshhpool, he would go up over the Bwch y Groes pass from Dinas Mawddwy to Dolgellau.Which isn’t the exact pass as that’s on a minor road, but the one I’m referring to is steep enough with a wagon.

syramax:

Clunk:
Go there regularly.

that’s useful (the times ive made a ■■■■ of myself asking for directions :smiley: :smiley: ) don’t suppose you would like to add a few more translations ■■? :smiley:

Blaenau ffestiniog: Blen-eye-fest-in-e-og
Betws y coed: Better-sea-coid
Swansea: Swan-sea

To pronounce the two ‘L’s’ together, as in Llanelli, you press your tongue to the roof of your mouth, and make a kind of hissing noise.
One F on its its own is pronounced like a ‘V’
Two F’s together is pronounced like a normal F.
One D on its own, is pronounced like a D.
Two D’s is pronounced like a ‘TH’ as in ‘This’
So the word Ffordd is pronounced ‘Forth’
A ‘W’ is pronounced as if it is 2 ‘U’s’ Together.

This is all I can think of atm.
Oh, the Welsh Language does not have the letters q, z, J or k and. if I remember correctly. Any place name you see with them, has just been spelled that way for ease. For example, Kidwelly. Originally, it was called Cydwelli, again, if memory serves me correctly.
Hope this helps.

I am not welsh, all this is from memory of a 3 year relationship with a Welsh lass about 15 years ago.

thanks for that , just need to memorise it now :smiley: :smiley:

Newport…New-port