Denmark

Hi all

I’m off to Copenhagen tonight in a lwb sprinter, never done Europe by Van before and never been to Denmark. Anything I need to know?
Any advice is greatly received.

Cheers

jarvo:
… Anything I need to know?
Any advice is greatly received…

Drive on the right hand side of the road!! :laughing:

[emoji106] thanks…noted!

jarvo:
[emoji106] thanks…noted!

Seriously though, If it was me going to Denmark for the first time ( I have never been to Denmark!) I would be wondering as to whether you are legally required to carry snow chains or have winter tyres fitted at this time of year.

Denmark is very expensive if you need something…and you have to change money if you need some money for Denmark.
They still have danish crowns and not everywhere they accept euros…
And i´m not sure where you going exactly…but maybe you need a ecosticker for copenhagen, but i think it´s only for vehicles with more than 3,5t

https://www.ecosticker.dk/en/home-en.html

very nice people most speak English, once you’ve driven 10k you will have seen all there is to see, you can smell the pigs but never see them.

Sweden requires winter studded tyres,no doubt Denmark has to be the same I would think.it might not be pleasant having to buy them to get home again…and even if your superwhitevanman ,its not that you might bother when you get stuck,its the ones stuck behind you that might be a bit miffed,hence greif.if you’ve no clue.google the winter requirements before you go.

Sweden do not '‘require’'studded tyres,they are optional.I assume they all require winter tyres though,marked as such.Many of the larger city’s in Scandinavia forbid or charge a surcharge for studded tyres.It is only here in the far north where they are the rule rather than the exception as in the Southern parts they are going over to ‘‘friction’’ winter tyres which are considered more ‘‘environmentaly friendly’’.

no worries.my inlaws in kungsbacka just bought a set of winter tyres which have metal nail thingys inside the rubber…i just assumed you needed them.

I Think it’s more a personal thing in the South.If,like me,your’e old and a crap driver,or you live a bit ''out of the way then you may go for studded.Also in the South a lot of people commute to DK or visit Germany for ‘‘booze trips’’ so studded tyres are not welcome.
And the winters are a bit different,they have normally less snow,and\or it is cleared more quickly.Here a layer builds up though the winter so you are driving on packed ice for most of the winter as not all councils sand or grit,especially off the main roads.
Also up here 4 x 4s are more popular.

Winter tyres were fitted by my old company last year to our vans. No snow anywhere and they wore out in weeks! Denmark is vignette free for vans. Crack on.

As others have said Denmark is easy …most people speak English roads are quiet …it Isnt expensive for us Brits everything is roughly the same for same price wise as the UK …no vignette required for 3.5t …enjoy

bigvern1:
Winter tyres were fitted by my old company last year to our vans. No snow anywhere and they wore out in weeks! Denmark is vignette free for vans. Crack on.

I call b/s.

Have Michelin Alpin M&S on my vans every winter across Europe and get on average 70k out of a set.

Call it what you like. Were you there? There’s Always one. :unamused:

There is a big difference in winter tyres manufactured for use in western/southern europe and the ones sold in northern europe. the latter ones using a very soft rubber compound, prone to much faster wear. not only weeks though, even on dry pavement.

Michelin Alpin are sold in Norway, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Estonia, Denmark etc - the list goes on. I usually buy mine in Sweden and there are no different compounds manufactured for different countries. NO winter tyre wears out in weeks, unless of course you are doing 20k miles a week !!!

Some of us actually DID mega miles, can’t say 20, 000 per week, but Sweden at least twice a week in the dry will definitely wear them out. That’s fact, Not B/S!

steve the argonaut:
there are no different compounds manufactured for different countries

this is where you are wrong though

As someone who spent many winters driving from Holland up to northern Sweden and Norway and who now has lived up here in Lappland for the last 8 yrs i can say that there is a VAST difference between European and ‘‘proper’’ Scandinavian winter tyres.The rubber compound is completely different and has completely different handling and braking characteristics.
These are designed specifically for the harsh climate here,this week has been between -30c and -40c the whole week.

I’m a regular in Kiruna and I still call b/s.
NO winter tyre wears out in weeks !!!

And yes theres always one and its usually you.