Demurage

I’m not keen on advocating further “time and efficiency” pressures on drivers, but introducing a demurage charge if the recipient keeps the wagon hanging about, may free drivers for more useful activity e.g. demurage £25 ph to be debited for every hour that exceeds the scheduled slot.

Optimum:
I’m not keen on advocating further “time and efficiency” pressures on drivers, but introducing a demurage charge if the recipient keeps the wagon hanging about, may free drivers for more useful activity e.g. demurage £25 ph to be debited for every hour that exceeds the scheduled slot.

That’s the way it used to be years ago. I remember driving for a small company where the owner was more than happy to bill for demurrage but then again he once self tipped a load of stillages at an engineering company with the aid of a chain, a conveniently located post and 1st gear. He was an interesting bloke to work for although I did admire the “no starts before 7am on a Monday because you can’t go out for a drink Sunday evening if you do.”

Optimum:

Evrey where I’ve been last few years,
After a hour wait, tip load, if you’re on time.
They get charged.

More companies should do this, if your late at some places they turn you away. Ive been to a company that if you’re more than 30 minutes late they won’t accept the load and it has to be re-booked.

Stephenjp:
More companies should do this, if your late at some places they turn you away. Ive been to a company that if you’re more than 30 minutes late they won’t accept the load and it has to be re-booked.

These are the same companies that probably boast of their green environment saving credentials on their websites. Trying to tie transport down to 30 minute windows is an exercise in stupidity.

Terry T:
These are the same companies that probably boast of their green environment saving credentials on their websites. Trying to tie transport down to 30 minute windows is an exercise in stupidity.

Whilst simultaneously complaining about the driver shortage and both their deliveries and suppliers deliveries not happening due to a lack of available lorries, conveniently forgetting about all of those returning back to base after being turned away for being 31 minutes late.

£25 hr? that surely doesn’t cover your standing costs for the hour let alone the knock on for lost revenue or overnighting the driver and vehicle as a result. £40 at least for the first hour, thereafter £100 hr.

It was £100 an hour back in the nineties on the tankers. 30 years later it should be considerably more. In the final analysis it’s not about the charge per se, it’s more about focussing the minds of the RDC’s etc and forcing them to accept that hiring X number of extra staff at £X per hour is cheaper than demurrage.

Was in Southampton 2 weeks ago, had a split load on got to my final drop and the merchant losed at 5pm, I arrived at 4:10pm with a small load of timber. I was turned away as they dont tip after 4pm I had to drive 30 miles to park up and all they said was see you in the morning. When I arrived on site at 7am friday morning the FLT driver said, we often tip after 4pm. Now I was on a night out regardless but I could have been a lot further North with a shorter journey home on the Friday, instead I got home after 6pm instead of 12ish as I had planned. Nobody cares about turning you away as there are no consequences or financial penalties to them. So if they had to pay for a truck when they casually turn you away, I doubt it would happen so regularly.

Yorkshire Tramper:
Was in Southampton 2 weeks ago, had a split load on got to my final drop and the merchant losed at 5pm, I arrived at 4:10pm with a small load of timber. I was turned away as they dont tip after 4pm I had to drive 30 miles to park up and all they said was see you in the morning. When I arrived on site at 7am friday morning the FLT driver said, we often tip after 4pm. Now I was on a night out regardless but I could have been a lot further North with a shorter journey home on the Friday, instead I got home after 6pm instead of 12ish as I had planned. Nobody cares about turning you away as there are no consequences or financial penalties to them. So if they had to pay for a truck when they casually turn you away, I doubt it would happen so regularly.

Which Merchant was it ?

blue estate:

Yorkshire Tramper:

Which Merchant was it ?

Chandlers

Yorkshire Tramper:

blue estate:

Yorkshire Tramper:

Which Merchant was it ?

Chandlers

Shame it wasn’t South coast or Covers as they most probably would have tipped you

blue estate:
Shame it wasn’t South coast or Covers as they most probably would have tipped you

Oddly enough they were really friendly but their policy was no tipping after 4pm, I only had 4 packs on for them so was surprised they wouldnt tip. What got me was whenn the FLT driver said they can tip after 4pm and often do but because I got the ■■■■■■■ the phone from the office she thought it easier to just turn me away. Annoying to say the least.

Yorkshire Tramper:

blue estate:

Oddly enough they were really friendly but their policy was no tipping after 4pm, I only had 4 packs on for them so was surprised they wouldnt tip. What got me was whenn the FLT driver said they can tip after 4pm and often do but because I got the ■■■■■■■ the phone from the office she thought it easier to just turn me away. Annoying to say the least.

Can understand refusing to do a full load , but 4 packs FFs :unamused:

Part of my job in a traffic office was chasing demurrage, for me a weighbridge ticket showing arrival and departure was enough to raise an invoice. As a driver I knew how difficult it was chasing someone down to sign for delays, but using their own documents voided that argument.

I do believe that this so called shortage of willing drivers could be solved within a month if hauliers and operators got together, stopped the RDC operators taking the ■■■■ and made them pay for any delays. not £25 per hour, something substantial, £75 to £150 for a curtainsider and £250 - £300 for a fridge / tanker.

Something definitely needs to be done. It’s ridiculous when you have drivers turning up knowing they’re going to be at least 3 hours before getting out and being happy if they get out before that, all to tip a load that takes at best an hour to pull off and check.

Interesting. It works both ways, some places will try a “rechill” charge. Seen it on some self-printed goods-in receipts for frozen. Thing is the probe temperature isn’t going to drop that much by opening the doors and putting it on a bay, so it was a load of ■■■■.

Only now? Some of us have been banging on about increasing productivity for drivers for years. Things definitely are changing. It is ludricrous that companies receiving vehicles for delivery or collection can delay or turn them away with impunity.
Some shipping companies I know are ruthless in charging demurrage and pass the full charge to the haulier. Others, mostly the ones I find myself working for, charge after 3 hrs and pass 1/3 rd to haulier.
At the advent of the commercial vehicle it was not long after that Commercial Motor was reporting about complaints from tardy turnarounds and its impact on the profitability of running a truck for hire and reward.
It has always been the perennial problem in making profit running a truck.
Something the RHA could of run with years ago. The long hours culture ruins drivers health and deters new drivers. We have been useful fools for far too long. Try and tell a plumber, electrician or even a taxi driver to wait around until you are ready, and you won’t see them for dust. Tell a driver of a 44t truck and he shrugs his shoulders and hits the bunk.