Delivering steel

On monday I will be doing 2 weeks work
delivering steel ect. So if anyone as any
advice on the job as I got told its easy just
ratchet strap the load and fasten a cover
on to keep it dry. Any advice and information
on the job would be great

Steel :question: . Ratchet strap :question: .

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Good job you’ve come here for some advice then isn’t it :open_mouth: .

NEVER use ratchet straps on steel. You need chains and chain tensioners. If you use ratchet straps and the steel moves, it’ll slice through the strap like a hot knife through butter :open_mouth: .

Personally, doing steel is one type of load I won’t entertain. I hate using chains and it’s a messy job. I’ve had supposedly supported steel girders in a 5mm thick corten steel deep-sea shipping container come straight through the front of the box ripping out the front lower cross member when I had to stop sharp when a car pulled out.

There are enough pics about of steel girders having come through the back of cabs and out through the windscreen and it’s a death trap of a job in my opinion.

the way of restraining the various forms of steel that you may be carrying are many,as it all depends on what type of load you will be carrying
IF YOU TAKE a look in the useful links posts there are many web sites listed that deal with this problem,
comeing back to secureing/restraining the load, over here in germany we have trailers that are built so that steel coils can be loaded and carried in a well built into the trailer,you have to use thesteel safety posts that come with the trailer, to prevent foward and backwards movement along with chain,s and straps, what type of trailer are you useing to carry the loads.

WHEN you are at the place of employment ask for advice,this goes also when at the loading point, WHY because for me personerly I would rather
ask questions, and so prevent my self from causeing a accident in which
some one gets hurt because i was too proud to ask for help

when we are returning with a steel load from ITALY we carry steel in 6m lenghths ■■■■■■■ in bundlesof apox6-8 pieces and a total of 10-12 bundles
these are secured with ratchet straps of the required strenghth and we use5-7 straps to compliy withthe safety regulations , total weight of load is normaly 29.000–31.000kg …

if you have any more questions just ask away as some one here will all ways give a hand out with information,

Yep it’s one of the questions in the theory test.

Dont use rope or straps to secure steel, reason being they can chaffe through.

Basically it says use chains.

if you want to see how to and how not to secure loads check out , www.tis-gdv.de/ ,click on english version and see how its not done

sorry mate but it depends on what and how the load is made up also
you get protective sleeves to ensure that this does not happen, and if you take a lok on the sites you wilsee that they also use this type of loadrestraint,

Is it steel from the steel works, Corus etc, bars, ’ H ’ section beams, or is it fabricated stuff, all shapes and sizes and lastly is it painted?

From Corus most loads are three or four chains dogged down with proper steel ratchet tensioners. Most places have banned Warwick’s and other types. This bit is important ! What ever type you use keep your head arms length away from the end of the handle.
Make sure you have enough timber to lift the load high enough for the big 25-ton forklifts to load and unload you. It needs to be about 6’ - 8’ off the trailer.

For the fabricated stuff you can use a mix of chains and straps. Use the chains to grab the main parts of the load and the straps for the smaller fiddly bits. Make sure you have something between the steel and the strap to protect the strap use extra protection, especially under the chains if the load is painted. I used to use cut up strips of old carpet.

It might be wise to take a marker board and light for the rear just incase you have a few bits sticking out over a metre.

Lastly leave a bigger gap between yourself and the vehicle in front just in case. :open_mouth:

malcn:
if you want to see how to and how not to secure loads check out , www.tis-gdv.de/ ,click on english version and see how its not done

Interesting photo’s, worth a look

Thanks everyone for the advice and replys :smiley: .
I dont have much info on the job but this is the
company asdplc.co.uk and the place
is at sheffield I will be going to. I will have to see
on monday if they are using the correct equipment
and If they show me how to secure the load.

It looks as if it is a german company and therfore should have a well,laid out
program to ensure that the H&S are of the correct level, wish you all the best with the ““job”” and remember “” it is better to ask questions than
to cause a accident because of being too proud to ask for help""

brit pete:
It looks as if it is a german company and therfore should have a well,laid out
program to ensure that the H&S are of the correct level, "

What on earth makes you think that Pete? :open_mouth:
Obviously you’ve never been to Lidl’s or Aldi’s :cry:

Salut, David.

i take it you mean the warehouseing dept, yes this is a sore point for those who have to deliver to these places over here in germany.
thank heavens that this type of work is not one that i have to carry out,

a added note… they still do try it on with deliveryies under CMR rules that you unload, and of course the answer from certain drivers is no-thank you, and some how it does work, or the driver in question calls the BAG
(VOSA) out and they get people in to unload and the ““COST;s go on the account of the relevent firm who signs for the goods delivered””

But to come back to the pointof H&S it is over here in germany a subject that has made firms followthe law as laid down here in germany, As if the H&S has not been correcttley carried out the firm that loaded the vehicle is held to account and taken before the courts as well as the partys who are involved, and the fines and also inspections are one,s that along with the bad publicity no company wishes to have,

And then of course you will get to the customer and they refuse the delivery because it has been fastened on using chains. Our main customer stipulates straps only :open_mouth: no chains are allowed. although to be fair they do supply lots of timber and chocks, we also carry corner boards for protection.

Every steel works should have an action plan stipulating how they want the load secured, some are good, some do not check.

We do a job from France with 2 x 11 tonne coils of stainless steel, each coil is secured in a cradle and must be secured using 10 straps on each one, each strap must have a minimum test rate of 5 tonne

If in doubt ask, if still in doubt, refuse :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
We do a job from France with 2 x 11 tonne coils of stainless steel, each coil is secured in a cradle and must be secured using 10 straps on each one, each strap must have a minimum test rate of 5 tonne

Strewth Malc, where do you find the room to put 10 straps?

If in doubt ask, if still in doubt, refuse :stuck_out_tongue:

Absolutely. But not always easy. Often there is that niggling doubt that maybe it could be done safely. Egg on face time :cry: .

Salut, David.

I did 12month delivering steel and we always used ratchets and straps. We put rubber pads under the strap where it came into contact with the steel and that, was job sorted. I never had a load shift in that time so I guess it must have been done right. A lot of the customers we delivered to would have refused the load if we had turned up with it chained down as the chains would have damaged the steel.

Rob K:
Steel :question: . Ratchet strap :question: .

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Good job you’ve come here for some advice then isn’t it :open_mouth: .

NEVER use ratchet straps on steel. You need chains and chain tensioners. If you use ratchet straps and the steel moves, it’ll slice through the strap like a hot knife through butter :open_mouth: .

Good job you told us this Rob. :wink: :wink:
I haven’t used a dog or chain in 18 months, and I carry steel in all shapes, and sizes every day.
All I use is ratchets and straps, along with corners and so far I have had no loads move. However, if the load requires securing with chains, then I’d use them.

Convoy, you have PM

Also bear in mind that steel is invariably loaded by overhead crane. You will need your hard hat, most likely with chin strap, and the customary hi-vis and steelies. Also alot of steel works will not allow shorts to be worn, and often no short sleeves either.

Aye, I digress. The only steel work I’ve done is girders and sheet steel, both of which you don’t use ratchet straps on unless you don’t want the load to stay on the back. I never considered coils or stuff like that which would be fine with a couple of ratchet straps on them.

I guess it depends what sort of steel it is that will dictate whether chains or straps are required.

:slight_smile:

Rob K:
Aye, I digress. The only steel work I’ve done is girders and sheet steel, both of which you don’t use ratchet straps on unless you don’t want the load to stay on the back. I never considered coils or stuff like that which would be fine with a couple of ratchet straps on them.

I guess it depends what sort of steel it is that will dictate whether chains or straps are required.

:slight_smile:

Quite true.
Also sheet doesn’t always warrant chains. I frequently carry plate with straps and ratchets.
As for coil, the requirements as laid out in British Steel load securing instructions are 4 straps per coil. 2 over the top, and 2 through the eye.

Alot of it comes with experience, and alot is just common sense.
Generally, Steel is a very easy job to do, but remember the golden rule…

Steel has no friends, so treat it with the utmost respect

Kate:
Also bear in mind that steel is invariably loaded by overhead crane. You will need your hard hat, most likely with chin strap, and the customary hi-vis and steelies. Also alot of steel works will not allow shorts to be worn, and often no short sleeves either.

Good advice too :smiley: because as we all know a plastic helmet with a chin strap will stop you being crushed by an 11 tonne coil of steel, if you wear a hi viz vest it will repel any debris falling from an overhead crane gantry :stuck_out_tongue:

And whatever you do, make sure you listen to the health and safety guy, because he knows best and can safely walk around the steelworks in Hush Puppies :sunglasses:

Any advice given is tongue in cheek, however my advice is gospel :smiley: