Deliver and Assemble Jobs

A mate of mine has an interview with some fancy glass and marble furniture company where the delivery crew also assemble the furniture. Has anybody ever done this work or know much about it? He’s just got a lower paid but very easy curtainsider job for a small family firm and has now been asked for an interview with this furniture firm. He applied for the furniture one speculatively and found his new/current job simply by walking in off the street and asking for work. He asked for my opinion which was obvious, “stay away from handball/home delivery, take the easy family firm if you can afford to.”
I’ve heard (or read on here) that these deliver and assemble jobs are iffy; Money is good but if you have to return to alter something you aren’t paid for it. True or RDC effluent?
He’s used to physical work, he worked with me on the flour, often as my drivers’ mate and actually took over “my” truck when I left.

My mate works for furniture delivery on DFS.
He seems to enjoy it I couldn’t be ■■■■■■ with it myself.
Nice wee 7.5 tonner.
Do two local loads a day.
25k basic plus o/t at time n 1/3.
It bad number if don’t mind lifting gear up stairs all day.

Sort of question your mate should be asking the firm. All companies have different policies / pay etc, bit too general a question really.

Herongate:
Sort of question your mate should be asking the firm. All companies have different policies / pay etc.

True but their job advert sounds a bit too good to be true. I reckon they’d tell him amy old crap to get him to sign up. The job advert mentions earnings upto 35k per year, plus the usual spiel, but they’re always advertising. If the job is so good why can’t they get class 2 drivers?

Never believe the “up to £35k” bullsh*t… That assumes you work max hours, tons of o/t etc and to make the job look attractive…!!

That’s why they can’t keep drivers, people believe the crap but don’t query the pay v hours etc at interview stage, too busy being blinded by the figures.

Depends on the company and the individual. I personally enjoyed the work when it went well which was, honestly, 3 deliveries out of 15.

If it’s for a company with sub standard products and sub standard management (that’s complimenting them) itll be hell.

Otherwise it could be a decent job. Also the up to £Xk is assuming you work yourself to death.

A.

Although I didn’t have to build it I used to deliver furniture to residential areas where I would take the stuff into people’s homes and put it where they wanted it. Wasn’t a bad job, office didn’t seem to have a clue but they left me alone to get on with it. I suppose the biggest problem for your friend will be picky customers.

Every company is different. I used to work for Ables (long since gone) delivering furniture mostly soft furnishings but some assembly stuff like beds. We were not penalised for returning anything. The biggest problem we had was people not realising how big the items they had ordered were. The number of sofas we had to take back because they just would not go through the front door was stupid. The job was ok, the company was not. Planning 17 deliveries in one day when at most you could probably do six if you did it how they wanted it done.

I worked for TNT on what was the MFI Contract out of Coventry,delivering kitchens to houses best job I ever had.
Many of the Drivers and mates who did the job said the same thing.
Home Delivery is what you make it

17 yrs ago done home delivery for Mastercare ( Currys & Dixons).
About 24 deliverys could be 10 installing tellys & cabinets could take 1hr, washing machines etc, & carrying up flights of stairs.
Sometimes went with gas fitters to install cookers, if it wasn’t a straight forward fit they would boot the cooker in the back of the van
so they couldn’t fit it lol.

i

If its there own vehicle and it’s high end products it may be different as they will want top notch customer service.
I’ve found the likes of curry to be a nightmare and will use any excuse to not deliver and install the product
I had two of there morons my fridge wouldn’t fit through my door and another wouldn’t plumb the washing machine in as the pipe had to be pushed behind the dishwasher.
I now use a small local firm for electrical appliances and there service is excellent.

My mate’s been offered and accepted the job at £11/hr. So that must be nearly 70 hours per week to earn the published £35k per year.
I told him not to waste a stamp posting me an application form. :laughing:

Maybe a bonus for jobs done too?

kr79:
Maybe a bonus for jobs done too?

I think that’s all in, they do get a night in a travel lodge or driver is given £20 to sleep in the cab, approx’ two nights out per wekk. It still wouldn’t tempt me I like my loads to be tipped off too much. :laughing:

Muckaway:
My mate’s been offered and accepted the job at £11/hr. So that must be nearly 70 hours per week to earn the published £35k per year.
I told him not to waste a stamp posting me an application form. :laughing:

£35000 pa= £673 pw = 61 hrs working on the assumption he gets £11 ph straight with no o/t rate if he gets o/t rate then he puts in even less hours.

Okay 61 hours per week not just delivering but carrying poncey arty ■■■■■ fair trade furniture up and down stairs and then assembling it for people who think to do it themselves is rather common…
…No I’ll stick with tipper work and my old company issue Hilux thanks.

Horses for courses. My nephew assembles flat pack furniture, working for a sub-contractor, mostly from Ikea and John Lewis. He drives all over the South east and reckons that 90% of the jobs are a doddle. The householders don’t have to pay him, so he often gets a good tip. If there are any parts missing or faulty, they pay him to go back.