Deleted post

Deleted

jamesd1981:
Took over the truck on friday and noticed broken indicator hanging by wires, so removed it and tucked in wires and informed traffic office, now today which is monday the truck has still not been repaired, so should i continue taking the truck out all this week ?

No.

jamesd1981:
Also on a side note the tachograph jumps off break when ignition is turned on, so if you were to turn ignition on a couple of minutes early would invalidate the whole break ?

It wouldn’t invalidate the whole break but maybe a chunk of it, eg- you were having a 45 then turned ignition on after 42 mins so then that would make that break just a 15 so then you’d have to have a 30 min break.

jamesd1981:
is there a reasonable time to allow them to obtain the new part.

They can take as long as they like as long as the truck is parked up.

There seems to be a misconception with some drivers that if they report a defect then it’s ok to take the wagon on the road before it’s fixed.

A driver I worked with a few months ago got stopped by Vosa for having a marker light out. His defence was ‘I thought it was ok because I told the boss and noted it on the defect sheet’.

Vosa replied ‘So you left base and knowingly drove a defective vehicle on the road did you?’

He got a £30 on the spot fine

This is a much more common thing with newer tachos. You get 5-10 seconds from turning the ignition on/off to set it back to the mode you were on and it will.keep a continuous log for that mode. You will note the mode flashes and as long as you put it back on break then it will be an uninterrupted rest.

Lee1976:
There seems to be a misconception with some drivers that if they report a defect then it’s ok to take the wagon on the road before it’s fixed.

A driver I worked with a few months ago got stopped by Vosa for having a marker light out. His defence was ‘I thought it was ok because I told the boss and noted it on the defect sheet’.

Vosa replied ‘So you left base and knowingly drove a defective vehicle on the road did you?’

He got a £30 on the spot fine

bald bloke:

jamesd1981:
Took over the truck on friday and noticed broken indicator hanging by wires, so removed it and tucked in wires and informed traffic office, now today which is monday the truck has still not been repaired, so should i continue taking the truck out all this week ?

No.

jamesd1981:
Also on a side note the tachograph jumps off break when ignition is turned on, so if you were to turn ignition on a couple of minutes early would invalidate the whole break ?

It wouldn’t invalidate the whole break but maybe a chunk of it, eg- you were having a 45 then turned ignition on after 42 mins so then that would make that break just a 15 so then you’d have to have a 30 min break.

jamesd1981:
is there a reasonable time to allow them to obtain the new part.

They can take as long as they like as long as the truck is parked up.

Thanks for the replies guys, so i should simply refuse to take it out tomorrow ?

m1cks:
This is a much more common thing with newer tachos. You get 5-10 seconds from turning the ignition on/off to set it back to the mode you were on and it will.keep a continuous log for that mode. You will note the mode flashes and as long as you put it back on break then it will be an uninterrupted rest.

I think I did notice it flash m1cks, never come across that before, so if i turn it back to break straight away it should not interrupt the break.

No. The break will be recorded continuously.

jamesd1981:
Thanks for the replies guys, so i should simply refuse to take it out tomorrow ?

Yes because it’s not legal to do so.

Thanks for the advice, will be refusing the truck tomorrow and the tacho display issue is good to know for the future.