Delays at DVLA what to do whilst waiting?

Phoned up DVLA today as it is now 3 weeks since my provisional licence application arrived with them and was told there is a backlog of 8 weeks at the medical section :frowning:

apparently my application arrived at medical section 2 weeks ago so potentially a further 6 weeks wait for me. I asked if there was any way to speed up the process and they said no but they would make a note of any reasons on the application. I told them I had just been made redundant and wanted to commence training as soon as possible but thought afterwards was there anything else I could tell them that might speed up the process such as “i’d been offered a job as a trainee and didnt want to lose it”

anyone got any other suggestions for next time I chase up the application?

In the meantime is it possible to do the theory test using a photocopy of my car licence? i’m guessing probably not. I have grandfather rights so I guess I could do my 35 hours cpc training or do I need the licence back for that as well?

I have paid work till December so things arn’t desperate yet but want to be able to get trained up and out of present job ASAP.

honk:
anyone got any other suggestions for next time I chase up the application?

I’d go knocking on all yes all my local MP’s and kick up a fuse then start with the Letters by signed for post to the MP’s and push a shed load to all the MP’s you can yes it’ll cost a few quid but it may help spread the manure . either that start up an E petition on the matter…

also get a ordinary ie 0117 land line number for who ever and make a nuisance by ringing them every day to ask how long then do the same to the MP’s :wink:

you gotta admit she’s gotta smug look on her chops :wink:

[/quote]

They’ve had mine three months and they’ve only just contacted my GP! This is whilst I’m out of work I’ve explained that I am out of work and need want to start training ASAP, all of which has fallen on deaf ears. I’ve even had a medical review with my GP where we covered everything the DVLA would possibly want to know but couldn’t complete the paperwork because they hadn’t sent it, even after me telling them about the medical in good time. They only sent the paperwork to my GP yesterday after I phoned them again and asked if they’d considered using a fax machine and gave them the number. Going from the young ladies voice I think this was like a revelation! and lo and behold the paperwork was with my GP within two hours, now I just have to wait for my Dr and then wait for the DVLA to arrange a third medical before I can start training!

This started at Easter and realistically I’m now looking at courses in the new year, every time I contact the DVLA I’m more convinced that its like a small family business working from a small office above a shop in Swansea?

It did take me 5 mth to get mine 1st time round when I phoned them I was a little economical with the truth but 3 days later my licence dropped through my door