Delays at DVLA medical section

I applied for my provisional back in July and at the end of August the DVLA wrote to me stating that they had requested further information about a medical condition from my GP. The GP provided this information by the middle of September however I heard nothing further.

I called a fortnight ago and they told me that they hadn’t received the information and that once the medical section receives correspondence it is scanned on the system within 10 days. I questioned whether there could be delays and a backlog however they were adamant this was not the case. My GP kindly resent the information recorded delivery.

Still nothing showing on the DVLA driving license checker I called again today. This time they told me that the medical section currently has a 4 to 6 week delay in opening relieved correspondence and scanning it on the system for review by medic. They probably received the information from my GP the first time but still haven’t opened it!

This could work to my advantage because by the time they issue a license it could be November 15th and so give me the class 1 provisional entitlement. Hopefully for anyone else who is waiting and they have had to have evidence sent to the medical section this might explain the delay.

I’m led to believe that the medical processing bit of DVLA was on strike for the whole of August. Apparently this led to 3,000 applications being slowed down.

Maybe that’s something to do with it?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

DVLA Medical section were notoriously bad anyway, straightforward renewals were not the quickest but anything involving a complication and all bets were off.

They are unlikely to have improved