degrading

having read comments on here today about people refusing to take a trailer without a number plate!! and co’s sacking people for split coupling!! it got me thinking about the industry we work in.all this training is fine if you’re a newbie but seriously if you are an experienced driver(14 yrs myself) do you not find it degrading?? i read that reed boardall send you out with another driver to see how to do paperwork???is this even if you’re experienced because surely paperwork is paperwork regardless.all i can say is no wonder this job is going to hell in a handcart.and as a side issue for anyone who gets on a ferry out of this country with a hi viz on PLEASE stay on uk work we really don’t want you embarassing the rest of us!! rant over :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

scaniaman:
having read comments on here today about people refusing to take a trailer without a number plate!! and co’s sacking people for split coupling!! it got me thinking about the industry we work in.all this training is fine if you’re a newbie but seriously if you are an experienced driver(14 yrs myself) do you not find it degrading?? i read that reed boardall send you out with another driver to see how to do paperwork???is this even if you’re experienced because surely paperwork is paperwork regardless.all i can say is no wonder this job is going to hell in a handcart.and as a side issue for anyone who gets on a ferry out of this country with a hi viz on PLEASE stay on uk work we really don’t want you embarassing the rest of us!! rant over :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

That might have been me :blush: forgot to take a normal jacket so wore my hi viz one instead. sorry :laughing: :sunglasses: :laughing:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

scaniaman:

That might have been me :blush: forgot to take a normal jacket so wore my hi viz one instead. sorry :laughing: :sunglasses: :laughing:

that’s excusable just don’t make a habit of it!!

What’s wrong with wearing a high viz?

Think safe, be safe… and french police will love you for it.

Adam_Mc:

if i have to tell you why wearing a hi viz whilst sat on a ferry then sadly you are a lost cause!!

scaniaman:

Adam_Mc:

if i have to tell you why wearing a hi viz whilst sat on a ferry then sadly you are a lost cause!!

And if you think that smart arsed comments such as the one above are useful then so are you! I asked a sensible question. If I did use ferries then I would turn up in a high viz, get onto the boat wearing one and I’d get out of my cab wearing it to put on my trailer break and so on…I wouldn’t wear it for anything else…just vehicle related tasks whilst embarking and disembarking. I can’t see what the problem with it is.

Maybe you’re a fattie and therefore stand out more in a high viz and feel uncomfortable in one?..who knows, but perhaps instead of saying I’m a lost cause, you’d like to explain your reasoning? :stuck_out_tongue: By the way, just to be picky…what you said in your original post and what you said in your last post to me, are two different things involving the high viz :wink:

Adam_Mc:

scaniaman:

Adam_Mc:

And if you think that smart arsed comments such as the one above are useful then so are you! I asked a sensible question. If I did use ferries then I would turn up in a high viz, get onto the boat wearing one and I’d get out of my cab wearing it to put on my trailer break and so on…I wouldn’t wear it for anything else…just vehicle related tasks whilst embarking and disembarking. I can’t see what the problem with it is.

Maybe you’re a fattie and therefore stand out more in a high viz and feel uncomfortable in one?..who knows, but perhaps instead of saying I’m a lost cause, you’d like to explain your reasoning? :stuck_out_tongue: By the way, just to be picky…what you said in your original post and what you said in your last post to me, are two different things involving the high viz :wink:

no problem explaining,
1.why wear it when you drive on??are you gonna get knocked over in the cab??
2.why do you need to put trailer brake(not break,just to be picky) on it’s not really required on ferries??
3.i said in post you shouldn’t be wearing it ON ferry meaning whilst ON the ferry i.e sitting in drivers room ON ferry
4.i only really meant that bit as a bit of a joke as it’s one of my pet hates
5.is that enough explanation slimmy■■?
6.i really wanted opinions on the main subject,but hey ho we can row about the hi viz if you want :smiley:

I could see a reason for the paperwork bit if, when at the customer premises, it is complicted but how often does that occur - not very often IMO - a good briefing before leaving the yard usually suffices.

Oh, and a Hi-Viz on a ferry :question: … MUST be a life-jacket :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

No-one minds doing training if it is required and they do not already KNOW how to do it.

Can you imagine what would happen if I tried to ‘train’ a driver of 20+ years experience on ‘how to do a walk round vehicle check’ :exclamation: :exclamation:

I am talking about training and not assessments.

Some people survived the free enterprise ferry disaster a few years ago as they were visible to the rescue crews in there silly jacket, including a few who where in the water, easier to spot from a helicopter at night.

So it does have its use sometimes.

bigtrev:
Some people survived the free enterprise ferry disaster a few years ago as they were visible to the rescue crews in there silly jacket, including a few who where in the water, easier to spot from a helicopter at night.

So it does have its use sometimes.

well i’ll bow to that,i didn’t even know they had hi viz jackets when the herald went down,i was only a mere buck then,but can’t remember my dad or older bruv wearing them then but will stand corrected.

scaniaman:

Adam_Mc:

scaniaman:

Adam_Mc:

no problem explaining,
1.why wear it when you drive on??are you gonna get knocked over in the cab??
2.why do you need to put trailer brake(not break,just to be picky) on it’s not really required on ferries??
3.i said in post you shouldn’t be wearing it ON ferry meaning whilst ON the ferry i.e sitting in drivers room ON ferry
4.i only really meant that bit as a bit of a joke as it’s one of my pet hates
5.is that enough explanation slimmy■■?
6.i really wanted opinions on the main subject,but hey ho we can row about the hi viz if you want :smiley:

lol oh I love these TNUK bust ups :stuck_out_tongue: right correction time… “for anyone who gets on a ferry out of this country with a hi viz on…” Now that’s a direct quote from you, which clearly explains the situation as somebody wearing a highviz as they board a ferry, not sat in the drivers room. You may of meant it a different way, but that’s not how it’s written and I’m sure other people will agree with me on that.

As for the trailer break…I wouldn’t of bothered with it until several posts went up on here showing trailers hanging out the back of ferries, so that’d be that one covered.

But I’ve never done an international journey, never been offered the chance. But to be honest I don’t think I’d fit in well in the drivers room…being slim and looking 15 and all :wink: Maybe in a high viz for laughs too :stuck_out_tongue:

ROG:
I could see a reason for the paperwork bit if, when at the customer premises, it is complicted but how often does that occur - not very often IMO - a good briefing before leaving the yard usually suffices.

Oh, and a Hi-Viz on a ferry :question: … MUST be a life-jacket :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

No-one minds doing training if it is required and they do not already KNOW how to do it.

Can you imagine what would happen if I tried to ‘train’ a driver of 20+ years experience on ‘how to do a walk round vehicle check’ :exclamation: :exclamation:

I am talking about training and not assessments.

aaah the voice of reason,it just seems to me that MODERN trucker is treated like a [zb],and i for 1 really wouldn’t want to work for such co’s that treat you this way

( derogatory comment removed ) jd

lol oh I love these TNUK bust ups :stuck_out_tongue: right correction time… “for anyone who gets on a ferry out of this country with a hi viz on…” Now that’s a direct quote from you, which clearly explains the situation as somebody wearing a highviz as they board a ferry, not sat in the drivers room. You may of meant it a different way, but that’s not how it’s written and I’m sure other people will agree with me on that.

As for the trailer break…I wouldn’t of bothered with it until several posts went up on here showing trailers hanging out the back of ferries, so that’d be that one covered.

But I’ve never done an international journey, never been offered the chance. But to be honest I don’t think I’d fit in well in the drivers room…being slim and looking 15 and all :wink: Maybe in a high viz for laughs too :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]
well to start i know what i meant so there na na!! and as for the trailer BRAKE thing i’ve only ever known that happen with a truck not having its handbrake on,but would stand corrected on that.and finally god love ya for being slim and looking 15,i’m not fat just big boned :smiley: :smiley:

Probably down to the fact that stupid people will do something stupid and get injured. Whilst at home recovering they see the no-win no-fee adverts on tv and put in a compensation claim. Hence why compaines train you, most of my “training” when I started my (first driving job) job consisted of signing bits of paper saying I knew something. As a new driver there was much I didn’t know that wasn’t mentioned until I asked about it. And for me the three days out on the road with another driver were great, experienced drivers who started with me only had one day with a trainer.

Nowadays it is just a “cover-your-arse” exercise. For sainsbury’s there’s a 2 day assessment, about 3-4 hours is driving and the rest is teaching you how to couple and uncouple and stuff like that. In fact, you can’t even drive a different type of tractor unit until you’ve been trained on it and signed off.

tofer:
Probably down to the fact that stupid people will do something stupid and get injured. Whilst at home recovering they see the no-win no-fee adverts on tv and put in a compensation claim. Hence why compaines train you, most of my “training” when I started my (first driving job) job consisted of signing bits of paper saying I knew something. As a new driver there was much I didn’t know that wasn’t mentioned until I asked about it. And for me the three days out on the road with another driver were great, experienced drivers who started with me only had one day with a trainer.

i agree with you about the stupid people,it seems we’re getting like the yanks in the respect that “i’ll be stupid but can sue somebody else for it”!!

A chap who started with me spent years as a fork truck instructor and holds all relevent licences. DHL wouldn’t let him drive a fork truck without him going on their training course and being signed off. Madness.

Adam_Mc:

scaniaman:

Adam_Mc:

scaniaman:

Adam_Mc:

youd fit in grand mate take it from me… theres nothing better then getting looks of other drivers and seeing them think wtf is he doin in here shouldnt he be in the normal area. its great to then get all the questions about where uv been and can brag about it :smiley:

degrading - I’ll give you degrading how about being shown how to use a pallet truck , how about being shown the correct manner in which to open and close your curtains , how about being shown how to climb on and off a trailer and about a million other rules :cry:

then if you don’t do something by the book they speak to you as if you are a 5 year old - I’m a bit of a kid at heart - young as the women you feel i say :sunglasses: but come on this is bloody ridiculous :confused: