Definitely a wannabe driver

Afternoon all,

As the subject says, wannabe driver here. I currently work for a mortgage company and am fed up of working in an office answering phones all day, so it is change in career time.

Now, I have always had a passion for anything that is pwered by an internal combustion engine so I think at my age (22), looking at getting into a driving job could be the way forwards.

I recently got a quote from what claims to be a national training centre, claiming around 35 sites but I wont name, but since reading on here, that doesnt appear to be the way forwards. Luckily there are a couple of companies in Cornwall that will do the training.

Now the important question, do you experts see this as an advisable move? My current job is ultra secure but for a 40 hour week I take home £1100 whilst dealing with utter rubbish from people doing debt collection. What would job prospects be for a 22 year old having just completed Cat C?

Regards

Hi and welcome,

As you said don’t go with a broker stick to a smaller independent company. There is a post on here with all recommended training companies(I’m sure someone else can post the link for me).

I am going to say that trucking will always be a secure job as we need trucks and drivers. Wages vary from area to area and company to company. But we all start at the bottom with class 2, but we can then work our way up to class 1 and more there are loads to choose from. Plus the added benefit of getting to our some parts of our beautiful country. I went from driving a taxi to driving a class 2 tipper. I made the change this year and haven’t looked back. I was sick of working stupid hours, losing my weekend’s and dealing with drunken fools. Best thing I ever did

Hi and welcome.

Pleased to hear that you’ve steered away from the brokers. Make sure you’re totally happy with your choice of trainer - - there are massive differences in what is on offer. Unless you have rock solid recommendation, always visit the trainer personally and satisfy yourself before parting with your hard earned. You may find this helpful: dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

I believe Cornwall isn’t the best place for work - please prove me wrong! At 22 you will have some folks prejudiced against you and they will blame their insurers. (Sometimes this is genuine - other times it’s just an excuse). There are employers who actually prefer younger drivers and they come with less baggage and are normally willing to learn. Every new driver will stand a better chance of employment if they hold CE (Class 1 in old money). There has been a definite increase in driver demand over the last few months.

I presume the £1100 you mention is for a month. If you get a job you will easily beat that.

You may need to be prepared to relocate for work - but I’m no expert on employment in Cornwall so I may well be misguided with that.

Any questions, fire away.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thank you both for your responses.

Down here, the hauliers dont advertise the jobs, unless its for technicians but we do have quite a few, particularly where I live near clay pits, there are at least 4 companies going past my house 7 days a week with tippers, and there are various other firms as well, including a major distribution depot 2 miles away.

I dont know anyone to try and get a recommendation from, but I would take the advice from here and visit each of the 3 companies, and hope they would do an evaluation before hand.

Long term, the goal is to get C+E

It may be a relocate to find a driving job.Use the website of the Dvsa that lists transport firms all over the UK under applications/decisions pages.
Sending emails is a time waster as they will not reply.
The same for phoning.
Drive to the firms.
You have Westfield transport at Truro.
Armoric International at Plymouth.
Vital pet products at North Tawton.
Gregorys at Cullumpton and North Tawton.

It’s normal for jobs not to be advertised - though this is changing as employers find it more difficult to get the right applicants. Glad to see you’ve done some research. Your next move is to approach local employers and tell them your plan. You’ll get feedback which will inform your decisions.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

You take home 1100 a week for 40 hours

A read of this may help

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44667

Visit a few companies have an assessment drive to see what the trainer suggests

You could also do a residential course for your training as some on here have myself included

You could also do a residential course for your training as some on here have myself included

And you certainly wouldn’t be the first one from Cornwall that we’ve trained.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Perhaps you could incorporate your training with a mini break, training in the morning then sight seeing in the afternoon. Lots to do and see up here in Yorkshire.

Paul :smiley:

You must be in mid Cornwall? I did my training with Westcountry Training at St Day and would highly recommend them. As for work the only way is to bang on doors in person I drive part time for a tipper firm as I have a full time job else where and I wouldn’t have been given a chance if I had not gone in in person.I have still had my share of places that say they will give you a shot then not hear anything after. Keep us posted good luck.

I saw Westcountry quite a bit when I was living in Camborne, but now I am up around St.Austell, so travelling to Devon for work wont be an issue. This is certainly something which I intend to do in the not to distant future, I’m just not an office person.
And to the people thinking my current salary is weekly, its monthly. Apologies for not being clear there. I wouldnt be leaving if it was weekly

Good god I’d be itching for a career change too!! :laughing: Actually it has been noted round here that there’s a distinct lack of younger people doing the job, (maybe most of us won’t need the mid-life crises sports car though :wink: ) so as Pete said, your age could also be in your favour. Best of luck, go for it!