Definitely a newbie

Good evening, As the tittle suggests I’m a newbie and looking to start training, I currently only hold my car licence so I know I’ll have to pass my C test first then do my C+E!
I’ve applied for my provisional (medical been sent back as the optician didn’t sign it correctly :imp: ) and I was then planning to organise my theory & hazard perception test then start phoning around companies (I’ve come across 2 as I live in Cornwall) but I’ve not get anyone to ask/recommend if any or either are any good! I’ve also come across Pete Smythe training in Notts that do board for the week! Is his training worth the drive?
Also is it that a good way of going about things to do my theory first? Sorry if that all seems a little muddled and hopefully you can all understand!
Thank you in advance of replies… :smiley:

There are a few trainers on here that offer great value and service. If you can, give some of them a try too. Myself, I am biased towards PSTT as I passed both C and C+E with them along with my ADR. Pete runs a top notch outfit, great staff, great wagons, great factilites.

They do offer the full course, from theory to C+E I believe but you can do the theory test on your own if you want. In the mean time, get your drivers tacho card sorted as well so when you pass you can jump straight into work.

gov.uk/apply-for-a-digital- … smart-card

Theres the link for it.

Radar19:
There are a few trainers on here that offer great value and service. If you can, give some of them a try too. Myself, I am biased towards PSTT as I passed both C and C+E with them along with my ADR. Pete runs a top notch outfit, great staff, great wagons, great factilites.

They do offer the full course, from theory to C+E I believe but you can do the theory test on your own if you want. In the mean time, get your drivers tacho card sorted as well so when you pass you can jump straight into work.

Theres the link for it.

Thank you, yes I did keep reading he has an excellent setup and I have also applied for my digi card as wasn’t sure if I needed it for learning luckily I’ve had some experiences with tachos as a previous job I was unofficially incharge of the drivers tacho reports and telling off…

We run residential courses all the time as many of our customers are from all over the UK. The 10% Trucknet user discount comes in handy as well! Please quote your Trucknet user name if you call to ensure the discount.

Click on the link below for views of our training centre; then you’ve got something to compare if you choose to have a look around.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I travelled a 120 mile round trip each day to train with Peter Smythe merely a few weeks ago, I say it was definitely worth it and will do the same again when I’m ready for my C+E.

Ianf:

Radar19:

Theres the link for it.

Thank you, yes I did keep reading he has an excellent setup and I have also applied for my digi card as wasn’t sure if I needed it for learning luckily I’ve had some experiences with tachos as a previous job I was unofficially incharge of the drivers tacho reports and telling off…

And there lies a major problem with our industry.

You don’t have any of your licences, never had a digi card but you’ve applied for one because you weren’t even sure if you needed one for training, yet you were in charge of the drivers tachos and any bollockings that needed to be given.

You must have had a lot of respect from the drivers!!

Coolrider:

Ianf:

Radar19:

Theres the link for it.

You don’t have any of your licences, never had a digi card but you’ve applied for one because you weren’t even sure if you needed one for training, yet you were in charge of the drivers tachos and any bollockings that needed to be given.

Maybe the drivers appreciated that Ianf was just doing an admin job/task that was designated to him. As after all it’s basically just a box ticking task based on what the analysis software says…

And no Ianf, you don’t need a Tacho card for training! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

Coolrider:

Ianf:

Radar19:

Theres the link for it.

Maybe the drivers appreciated that Ianf was just doing an admin job/task that was designated to him. As after all it’s basically just a box ticking task based on what the analysis software says…

I don’t know many drivers who would appreciate getting told what they may or may not be doing wrong from someone who has never done the job before.

If it was serious, then I suspect the real bollocking would come from higher up. But for the odd infringement, which drivers get from time to time and have to sign off, I don’t think they’d really be that bothered. I’m not…

Coolrider:

Evil8Beezle:

Coolrider:

I don’t know many drivers who would appreciate getting told what they may or may not be doing wrong from someone who has never done the job before.

Sure! After all, every driver knows the regs inside and out, and never makes any mistakes having undertaken at least 35 hours of CPC or passed an exam :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I work for an operation, where the guy who plugs into our VU’s and downloads our cards, hasn’t driven anything bigger than a Nissan. It does not mean I don’t think he can’t be trained to use a computer program a set number of times per year… :unamused:

I would say actually it’s YOUR attitude that is not only a major problem in our industry, but life in general :unamused:

F-reds:

Coolrider:

Evil8Beezle:

Coolrider:

Sure! After all, every driver knows the regs inside and out, and never makes any mistakes having undertaken at least 35 hours of CPC or passed an exam :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I work for an operation, where the guy who plugs into our VU’s and downloads our cards, hasn’t driven anything bigger than a Nissan. It does not mean I don’t think he can’t be trained to use a computer program a set number of times per year… :unamused:

I would say actually it’s YOUR attitude that is not only a major problem in our industry, but life in general :unamused:

I would suggest you must working for the wrong company then.

The TM and OPs manager at our place have 47 years combined driving between them.

Any tellings off as the op puts it is done by the TM.

I never said anything about it being a problem downloading tachos by someone who’s not driven. The op said he issued the bollockings so I was referring to that.

The TMs got a great attitude by the way!

Just what do you think the OP was alluding to?

I would hazard it was downloading the tachos, and VUs and giving he drivers the relevant infringements to sign off… Hence telling off.

The guy I work for is first class. They run a restricted license so do not need a TM CPC, so they don’t have one. As it happens I do hold a TMs CPC, this does not mean that I don’t have to listen to what they tell me, because I happen to be better qualified than they are. They are as qualified as they need to be. Your attitude of they can’t tell me anything as they haven’t been there, seen it, done it, is wrong.

I’ll decide if my attitudes wrong.

From what I’ve read on some of your posts on this site I don’t think I’ll be taking advise of you on my attitude.!

We all have an opinion and just because mine maybe different to yours it doesn’t mean I’ve got an attitude problem it just means I think differently to you.

It’s served me very well in the industry for nearly 30 years so I don’t think I’ll change it now.

Coolrider:

From what I’ve read on some of your posts on this site I don’t think I’ll be taking advise of you on my attitude.!

We all have an opinion and just because mine maybe different to yours it doesn’t mean I’ve got an attitude problem it just means I think differently to you.

It’s served me very well in the industry for nearly 30 years so I don’t think I’ll change it now.

:laughing:

Irony isn’t your strong suit, is it?

F-reds:

Coolrider:

:laughing:

Irony isn’t your strong suit, is it?

In my world a spade is a spade and that’s it.

Coolrider:
In my world a spade is a spade and that’s it.

On that, we both agree.

So what’s this? :open_mouth:

An American style shovel if you want to be a pedant :open_mouth:

I think :wink:

Yes I do know you don’t need it for training but what’s the harm in being prepared with your card, again a quick search soon told me I obviously didn’t need it to train…

I hold my hands up and admit my wording may of let me down here! Minor infringements where dealt with by myself! A lot of the offences where down to the drivers not grasping the WTD & drivers hours, it was multi drop and our branch only ran 2 7.5t, 1 12t and 1 18t!
Yes I’ve not done the job before but I also had a better understanding than the manager that was there at the time!
Sorry for causing any offence, I shall retreat back into my hole from once I came…

LittleCar:
I travelled a 120 mile round trip each day to train with Peter Smythe merely a few weeks ago, I say it was definitely worth it and will do the same again when I’m ready for my C+E.

It’s exactly what I was thinking but my Mrs has pretty much said no due to our daughter being on High priority for transplant, so shes not to keen on me being Over 300 miles away for a week…