Defects

Can some of the experienced guys please tell me the usual process of dealing with defects. I no some can be put on the sheet and reported without having to tell the TM your not taking it but what is acceptable. I’m mainly doing agency at the moment and there is often no other vehicles available so not taking it means the job doesn’t get done so I don’t want to go over the top if I don’t need to.

Cheers

If it’s a legal requirement (i.e. you would risk prosecution if you took the vehicle on the road with that defect) then it stays in the yard until it’s fixed (or for a minor defect, it might get driven to a workshop for repair - either way the run isn’t happening until it’s fixed).

As above.

Your licence not theirs

Is it likely to be dangerous/safety related/MOT fail? If the answer is yes to any of the above, then it stays where it is until it’s fixed. If its just cosmetic or nothing too bad, it can be noted and dealt with later.

For example, you might note the tires are getting near their wear markers, you might note that down so the TM can get them assessed and or swapped out at a convenient time. If its on the markers it’s not going anywhere until it’s fixed!

As above, so say you’re driving a VAN :wink:, and the reversing camera doesn’t work, just note it down and crack on…

But NEVER EVER leave the yard with something that will lead to points and cash out your wallet! :imp:

Defects with tyres, suspension and brakes all lead to a fine with points on your licence and would have a prohibition slapped on the vehicle.

coiler:
Defects with tyres, suspension and brakes all lead to a fine with points on your licence and would have a prohibition slapped on the vehicle.

Never leave the yard with a bulb out either. Usually only a five minute fix and can save you a lot of hassle later!

Captain Caveman 76:

coiler:

Never leave the yard with a bulb out either. Usually only a five minute fix and can save you a lot of hassle later!

Maybe also be; leave the yard to take it around the corner to the fitters! :laughing:

Evil8Beezle:
As above, so say you’re driving a VAN :wink:, and the reversing camera doesn’t work, just note it down and crack on…

But NEVER EVER leave the yard with something that will lead to points and cash out your wallet! :imp:

Although you do have to be careful with that one, A place I used to work at insisted that all vehicles had to have a reversing camera due to the nature of the job, taking a wagon out without one working left you liable to disciplinary so always check company policy first.

NickW88:

Evil8Beezle:

Although you do have to be careful with that one, A place I used to work at insisted that all vehicles had to have a reversing camera due to the nature of the job, taking a wagon out without one working left you liable to disciplinary so always check company policy first.

Sounds fair enough, but if I wasn’t specifically made aware of that requirement, I’d be stating that the defect book is about roadworthy, I’ve yet to see a defect book that has an ADR option. Personally I’ll defect anything that isn’t correct! I’ll defect the fire extinguishers if they are not stowed in appropriate boxes. If they are wedged into a locker with no clue of their existence, it doesn’t cut it for me… So the camera would be noted, but I’d still be plowing out the yard (after hitting a post! :smiley: ) unless I was made aware…

Disclaimer: One part of that sentence was a lie! :open_mouth:

Its your licence at the end of the day. If youre not happy driving it, then dont :slight_smile: As an agency driver youll find youre the one left with the crap no one else wants to drive :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: But by the same token, if it isnt road worthy or road legal for what ever reason, it shouldn`t be leaving the yard, if in doubt, ask yourself what VOSA would say :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: