Defect System

Can i just ask, what is your companys system for reporting and rectifying defects? do you have a book? hand in slips of paper? or phone in for a defect number? And do you stick to the system/does it work?

Thanks
AR

We use books hand in before we leave,

One of my Transport managers had a saying if in doubt don’t take it out, we had on site maintenance so it did not take long

He also said if you can’t reach if without a ladder don’t do it

A very fare TM

Did skips we have to do two checks one am and one after lunch both on book and even say nil defect if there was none

Just fill a sheet in and hand it in and it gets sorted straight away unless it can wait. I change bulbs and top up oil myself and everything else gets left to the fitters.

As part of the weekly time sheet, there is a defect sheet that covers every day, if it is a bulb, or something else minor that the driver can fix, then the drivers reports it on the sheet and then rectifies it, they are away from base all week

If it is something minor that the driver can’t do, and can wait until he RTB at the weekend (or rarely during the week), it gets sorted then

If it is a major issue, then it will go in to a workshop to be sorted

Our daily checks are noted on our Navman Wireless telematics and automaticly sent to the office through the tracker system. However, any defects found have be noted in writing on a defect sheet and signed off by Ryder once the repair has been carried out.

We just use “tacho disc pre printed books. T50’s”
Any problems write in and IF you can fix you do it yourself if not you write in your action ie left at merc/ Daf / trailer repairer ,
We never used defect books up to a few years ago we used to just verbally report it.
But got a visit from Vosa and where generally happy with vechs there was no traceability !
They needed a paper traile to say a bulb had failed and was fixed etc !

Our defect system works well with units but not really well with trailers because the trailers move throughout the network quickly.

We’ve got defect books your standard carbon number. If your unit has a defect that the driver can repair then no defect filled in just fix it bulbs,fuses etc. If it is a op defect either run to the garage at end of shift or it will get fixed every Saturday morning when they come in. If its VOR either a call out or if you can make it to the garage. Must not write VOR on the defect slip dont know why.

Trailer defects dont really work well if its a op defect it goes on the board but the trailer will be gone in a few hours and the defect doesn’t follow it to the next depot unless the new driver writes out a new defect. VOR it gets a red airline lock put on and a call out, if they cant fix it in the yard the garage shunts it over by themselves we don’t move VOR trailers.

Drivers organize all their defects with the garage themselves over the phone as we haven’t had a boss/coordinator in about a year.

We also have a thing on isotrack about defects but nobody uses it, nobody uses isotrack fullstop what a waste of money!

damoq that setup looks like the dash of the strarship enterprise!

merc0447:

Tell me about it. They are on about putting Roadhawk cameras in soon. I’ll soon not be able to see out the windscreen for all the gadgets they are giving us.:smiley:

damoq:

merc0447:

Tell me about it. They are on about putting Roadhawk cameras in soon. I’ll soon not be able to see out the windscreen for all the gadgets they are giving us.:smiley:

Watch VOSA dont get you for all the things covering your screen lol

ours is homemade defect sheets and was a bit worried vosa wouldnt approve but the vosa bod that was in last week doing our compliance check for renewal of o licence said they were good as it coverd everything that was needed.

Defect books filled in daily, Oil, Water, Screen wash & Bulbs done by myself, Any problems they are sorted out straight away. :slight_smile:

We have an electronic DVIR (driver vehicle inspection report) attatched to our elogs, we do an online report listing any defects, the central dispatch centre see’s them and when they are rectified, if we actually enter a truck or trailer as ‘out of service’ the system locks that vehicle out of dispatch and will permit it to be entered in a log or available for loading until central management remove that status.

I used to work for a skip Co’ who had an old T reg Leyland on standby. Skip trucks live a hard life & take some hammer, but this one was the daddy of them all. You couldn’t wind the passenger side window all the way up (& this is how it sits in the dusty yard all day), half of the seat (which was no longer adjustable) padding was missing, the rubber gaiter that surrounds the gear stick had long been discarded / rotted away, leaving a big hole for the engine noise to escape from the outside & into the cab + you had to make some noise before entering the cab . . . to chase the rats away !

It smoked like a power station on first start, drank more oil than diesel, the heater fan had 1 speed (super slow), it was either boiling hot in summer or freezing cold in winter + it had no radio, which some of us saw as a plus point !

Yet it was fully road legal, you could spend 2hrs going over it & you still wouldn’t find a valid reason why you weren’t going to drive it.

This was the truck the boss would ask you to drive if you had the cojones to defect your allocated truck. This was the truck that you would spend the next 3 to 4 days driving if you happened to find a teeny weeny lickle fault that needed fixing.

I only ever found 2 defects on my regular skip wagon, both of them were far more serious than the prospect of taking out the standby truck :smiley: .

Chas:
I used to work for a skip Co’ who had an old T reg Leyland on standby. Skip trucks live a hard life & take some hammer, but this one was the daddy of them all. You couldn’t wind the passenger side window all the way up (& this is how it sits in the dusty yard all day), half of the seat (which was no longer adjustable) padding was missing, the rubber gaiter that surrounds the gear stick had long been discarded / rotted away, leaving a big hole for the engine noise to escape from the outside & into the cab + you had to make some noise before entering the cab . . . to chase the rats away !

It smoked like a power station on first start, drank more oil than diesel, the heater fan had 1 speed (super slow), it was either boiling hot in summer or freezing cold in winter + it had no radio, which some of us saw as a plus point !

Yet it was fully road legal, you could spend 2hrs going over it & you still wouldn’t find a valid reason why you weren’t going to drive it.

This was the truck the boss would ask you to drive if you had the cojones to defect your allocated truck. This was the truck that you would spend the next 3 to 4 days driving if you happened to find a teeny weeny lickle fault that needed fixing.

I only ever found 2 defects on my regular skip wagon, both of them were far more serious than the prospect of taking out the standby truck :smiley: .

but, you can bet your life that there would be quite a number of drivers that would refuse, many from this forum too :unamused: