Defect Sheets Query

apologies for sounding a bit fik… BUT

Being an agency driver I wasn’t too keen on doing a job for a local firm.
Going into the place I was told, The vehicle they wanted me to drive didn’t have a defect sheet for me to complete… plus when I did the vehicle checks there wasn’t an o licence in the window.

when I saw the absence of the O licence I’d had enough… and asked the fitter who’d just done some work on it and he said “it’s ok… it’s got one but it’s in the office so it’s ok to take out. we don’t put them in case they get nicked”
I refused to drive it and walked out the yard and took off home.

wasn’t happy about the o licence… but Am I right in thinking that the defect sheets are required to be supplied also?
being an agency driver could I supply my own defect sheets to complete?

The rule is that a walk round check must be made by a responsible person; this normally translates to the driver. There should be a record of the check being done.

The O licence should not be in the office but displayed on the vehicle. However, be aware that a vehicle may not have a licence to display if, eg, it’s on short term hire. The disc is actually an identity disc - not the licence. The licence is the legal document that would actually live in the office.

But, given the attitude of the fitter, I believe you took the correct action.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Always ask the office bods 1st . There’s no legal requirement for a defect sheet / book in the veh but would be good practice. this could be monitored via pre veh insp check sheets. The o licence as said should be in the veh not the office unless its been lost and is awaiting replacement. Make a note on pre veh chec its missing and notify the office asap.
Sounds like you had made your mind up before you arrived that it was gonna be a non starter, don’t be suprised if the agency drops you down the list…

Did you verify if the truck was insured ?At a guess,just because there is a fitter there,that means nothing and the trucks do not get serviced.
They fix their mates cars for cash using the garage.You were correct in walking out,if stopped by DVSA,what proof is there,a safety check was done.The truck would have been seized,and a long walk or train fare for the Op.
Why would he be lowered on the list at the agency for driving an illegal vehicle ?

Thanks for the info. everyone :smiley:
I was going to do the job as I need the dosh… just not the hassle… I contacted the agency and told em what happened.
I’ve done work for them before and it;s definitley one of their own vehicles. he never hires any, usually buys 2nd. hand vehicles and paints them upi to his livery. I thought checking the insurance was academic… the o licence business was enough.
I would have tried the office bods but was too early in the morning for them to show up.
thopught if i did my own defect list it would be documentry evidence for vosa … i think?