Defect reporting

Hi all,

Just something that’s sprung to mind for some reason. Probably stupid question but thought I’d ask.

If you get some wok through an agency say for ASDA, when you do your checks if all is ok that’s fine, however if you find a defect should the truck have its own defect book, are you expected to have your own or would they give you a vehicle check sheet that you’d sign off if all ok or obviously report the defect whatever it may be?

Cheers

No such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer. So I won’t give you one of those.

You should be given a defect sheet or book by anyone the agency sends you to.

When you start the shift the Traffic Office will give you a Defect Sheet to complete and sign, and hand in.

Some give this to you before you get your run paperwork, tell you to get your lorry, check it and bring the signed form back to the Office, then they give you the run paperwork. Others may ask you to hand in the signed Defect Sheet at the gatehouse when you pull out.

One of the places I’ve worked does a detailed checklist and gets drivers to complete it then get it checked before leaving the yard, then it’s done again at the end of the shift and handed in. But another place I was given the delivery note and the keys and told to go and find my truck and to drop the keys through the letter box at the end of the shift (in fact on reflection this has happened at several places. More than those that have checklists).

With the “laid back” firms there’s the danger they’ll find a problem and blame you, or get ■■■■■■ off because you didn’t report a problem (so they won’t want you back). One option would be to copy a checklist and complete it (including defects) and hand one in with the keys and keep a copy. At least you can demonstrate you did your job properly, and the checklist is a useful reminder. This assumes of course that you have the time to write down all the defects bumps and scrapes that you might find and that you don’t miss any!