defect books

asked for a new one and was told company arnt issuing any for trucks any more were just having one in office, is that legal, i thought you had to have one in your truck.is there a link somewhere to defect books.

AFAIK you just have to have a system of recording defects so that would most likely be OK. However, VOSA do like to see a Nil Defect reporting system, even if there are no defects you record that fact, so you would still need access to the book everyday so you could mark no defects, assuming there aren’t any.

thats the bit that worries me i wont be back at base for 2 days so havent now got access to book each day ,how do trampers who are away from base for 5 days at a time go on :question: do they all have defect books or another system for reporting defects :question:

Our place only has a defect book in the office, the drivers fill it in as and when they return to base. Their daily check sheet is incorporated into the timesheet, so when they hand their timesheet in we have a copy of the daily check sheet as well. This is fully acceptable to the Ministry, and saves having more paperwork to go missing.

you can buy them for a couple of quid in the truck stops, maybe worth it if it puts your mind at rest

ady1:
thats the bit that worries me i wont be back at base for 2 days so havent now got access to book each day ,how do trampers who are away from base for 5 days at a time go on :question: do they all have defect books or another system for reporting defects :question:

Its not your problem. If the TC or Vosa have said they want a nil defect system then the company need to supply you with a system. If not then you can just let them worry about it.

Wheel Nut:

ady1:

Its not your problem. If the TC or Vosa have said they want a nil defect system then the company need to supply you with a system. If not then you can just let them worry about it.

Not strictly true. By having a daily defect book and filling it in correctly if he is stopped and a fault found by VOSA he has a defect book signed hopefully to declare that items have been checked and the fault has developed since the checks. With no daily signed checking system in place who is to say when it was checked? Get a book Ady.

at our place each driver has a defect book. any defects that may occur whilst out on the road are phoned in immediately and entered on the computer, ready for when the truck returns that day (they wont keep it out overnight, if possible). a defected truck is always sent for a repair at a repairer or brought back to our own workshops.
having a very minor defect written in your defect book aswell as being phoned in and on the compuer would help if you had a vosa inspection.