Default to rest tachos

Who likes these? How can they be legal? Can you change them yourself , or do they need a technician?

I’ve been using one on pallet multidrop the past week, it’s not what I’m used to, and with the best will in the world there’s no way I can remember to change my tacho to other work every time I switch off the ignition. I really think that it should take an active decision to confirm that you are not working, rather than assume. Given the trade this unit is involved in, I can’t believe that anyone can justify it being set up like it is

stu675:
Who likes these? How can they be legal? Can you change them yourself , or do they need a technician?

I’ve been using one on pallet multidrop the past week, it’s not what I’m used to, and with the best will in the world there’s no way I can remember to change my tacho to other work every time I switch off the ignition. I really think that it should take an active decision to confirm that you are not working, rather than assume. Given the trade this unit is involved in, I can’t believe that anyone can justify it being set up like it is

My new motor does that, it’s a pain in the ■■■■.
Tipped at Aldi Darlo last week,.we all know that DVSA have a habit of circling outside waiting to stop you.
Got back in cab it had been on break for 2 hours.
Now I ain’t one for not taking breaks, but DVSA don’t know that,. I could have done it on purpose,.so basically making false entry.
I’m going to get it changed to other work default asap.

I’d rather they did that than the bloody Axors where i worked on agency for a while around 2008, which defaulted to other work, if you switched the ignition on to open/close a window ‘ping’ break cancelled, start again.

Juddian:
I’d rather they did that than the bloody Axors where i worked on agency for a while around 2008, which defaulted to other work, if you switched the ignition on to open/close a window ‘ping’ break cancelled, start again.

My Merc defaulted to other work but did not change if ignition was on/off.
It just stayed same to I changed mode manually.

robroy:

Juddian:

My Merc defaulted to other work but did not change if ignition was on/off.
It just stayed same to I changed mode manually.

That’s exactly what I’m used to. Agreed it would be really annoying if your break got cancelled by the ignition.

robroy:
[.
I’m going to get it changed to other work default asap.

So you haven’t figured out if you can do it yourself? Let us know if it’s possible when you get yours changed please.

Personally I blame the French. After all it was the French manufacturer; Actia that introduced this silliness. Actia no-longer manufacture tachos, to the best of my knowledge, but VDO and Stoneridge went along with the idea because the regulations don’t specifically ban them. The current Regulation does require that the tacho clearly indicates that there is an automatic mode change happening, usually by flashing the mode indicator for about 5 seconds. I think the ideas’ daft. we have hundreds of wagons that don’t change and a handful of ones that do. Guess who got caught out by one earlier in the year. Suggested that it would be worth getting those to a tacho centre but the pointy shoe wearers don’t want to acknowledge the problem. They’d rather issue infringement letters for those that fall foul of the ■■■■ things as that’s cheaper!

If you want to change the setting then if it’s a Stoneridge you need to speak nicely with whoever has the Company Card. Once the card is inserted into the tacho the automatic change can be either enabled or disabled. If it’s a VDO that’s fitted (most are) I’m afraid it’s a trip to your local tacho centre because a Workshop Card is required. They may also charge for changing the setting.

Just to add; have discovered that the latest versions of the VDO tacho (v 4.0 and 4.0E) may have the automatic mode change on ignition on/off set with a Company Card or a Workshop Card, like the Stoneridge. :smiley:

im sure someone told me it was a setting that could be changed by powers that be however the last agency i worked for that had a dozen of their own trucks had just one that used to default to break all the others used to default to other work. The unit was covered with stickers reminding the driver to check the mode. They never bothered to change it dispite all the issues it caused.

From memory only stonridge heads can be changed for default activity by someone at the company using the company card. All other types of head need to be changed by a tacho centre.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

cooper1203:
dispite all the issues it caused.

The only problems are

1. If you are not paid breaks as defined by your tacho as opposed to your timesheet
  2. Getting caught by DVSA

Has anyone encountered either?

geebee45:
Personally I blame the French. After all it was the French manufacturer; Actia that introduced this silliness. Actia no-longer manufacture tachos, to the best of my knowledge, but VDO and Stoneridge went along with the idea because the regulations don’t specifically ban them. The current Regulation does require that the tacho clearly indicates that there is an automatic mode change happening, usually by flashing the mode indicator for about 5 seconds. I think the ideas’ daft. we have hundreds of wagons that don’t change and a handful of ones that do. Guess who got caught out by one earlier in the year. Suggested that it would be worth getting those to a tacho centre but the pointy shoe wearers don’t want to acknowledge the problem. They’d rather issue infringement letters for those that fall foul of the ■■■■ things as that’s cheaper!

If you want to change the setting then if it’s a Stoneridge you need to speak nicely with whoever has the Company Card. Once the card is inserted into the tacho the automatic change can be either enabled or disabled. If it’s a VDO that’s fitted (most are) I’m afraid it’s a trip to your local tacho centre because a Workshop Card is required. They may also charge for changing the setting.

Thanks for clarifying [emoji4]

stu675:

It is how they come from the Tacho manufacturers ,Unless the buyer states he wants the setting changed the dealer won’t alter it during inital cal …I personally change them for a certain customer as i know what he requires even if it isn’t on the jobcard …but otherwise they are left

norb:
[ …I personally change them for a certain customer

What is the default? (Changes to work when you stop moving and nothing happens with regard to the ignition?)
What do you change it to and what sector is this customer in?

Mine does this, its a pain in the arse. cos you can stop and wait a sec and then put it on ‘other work’, but then if you flick the ignition on again to get the mileage or summat it defaults to ‘rest’ again. Grrrr You can’t change it with a company card, it needs a workshop card to do it.

The ignition issue is a pita. Couple of the Dafs at my last place used to do it. Set to break, keys out, go for a wander come back and you’ve been on other work…
Ended up with home made stickers in them warning the drivers.

Blimey a lot of you lads really get wound up too easily don’t you!

switchlogic:
Blimey a lot of you lads really get wound up too easily don’t you!

Why?