Dedicated Truck Satnav showdown- The big three!

Ok, if you could just take a minute to stop throwing virtual rocks at me for raising “yet another satnav” thread I’ll explain why I have committed the apparently most heinous of TNUK crimes…

As with any product there are always brands that rise to the top of the pile, there are brands that become household names sometimes justifiable and sometimes for no other apparent reason than successful advertising and brand placement.
In regards to wrestling commentator voice applied “SAT NAV WARS!” the top tier contenders appear to be the following three brands/models.

Contender one…

[u]TomTom GO Professional 6250[/u]

Contender two…

[u]GARMIN dēzl 770LMT-D[/u]

Contender three…

[u]Snooper Truckmate S8110[/u]

Click on the above images for the manufacturers own detailed list of functions and features

So, assuming then that money isn’t the deciding factor here, you can base it on what you’ve heard, what you like the look or idea of, or even actually own, which of the three above mentioned standalone designated Satnav units (this bit is important because it is not about apps or other cheaper available alternative units)

Please add your views or comments below but please refrain from the “I use paper maps coz I’m a real truckerist”, “I prefer x app” or “Google streetview” and so on, it’s just about the three presumed top tier go-to Satnav names and models that are shown above.

Why have I made this? Curiosity really and a little market research to boot, I do not own any of these products myself but I am certainly interested in getting one, if only I could actually decide which one to get, that’s where I hope your specific views and votes come in.

Lastly I’m sure each manufacturer has 100% faith in their product being the best so I’d be more than happy to demo and honestly review any unit you wished, you’re more than welcome to PM me and set up a hands on demonstration of your awesome product. (hey, no harm in asking is there. :smiley: )

Disclaimer:
This post and poll is not sponsored or endorsed by any of the participating truck satnav manufacturers, I have not been endorsed or paid either with monitory or item gain (unfortunately) and even if I was my opinion is not being given in this thread it’s all about your feedback.

Thanks for your time.

I own one of them. How can You expect me to vote, if I never used other two?

Vote for the one you have or vote for one you wished you’d bought instead, or you could just abstain from voting but offer an insight into your unit that’d be just as helpful as a cast vote tbh.

Wow! :astonished: 3 people so far have taken the time to click on a vote option and to help a guy out, thank you for not being completely lazy useless scrotes :laughing:

Maybe you should of just gone with brands rather than specific models,I’ve used two of the above brands but neither of the specific models you have shown…

Fair point, but it’s those brands (well definitely two of) that I’m most interested in purchasing for myself. I don’t mind people offering their opinions and feedback on similar models though, just as long as they are of the three manufacturers and if possible the truck or top spec variants.

The reason I chose those specific models and listed them as such is I thought other people might be considering one of those too, a lot of people tend to look at the top models and then if finances are not favourable may choose a smaller screen size or one with slightly less features to better suit their budget, my budget doesn’t suffer the same restrictions fortunately but I don’t want to waste my money on ill informed decisions either.

Still not been offered any freebies to test off any of the three yet though :frowning: Would it help if I told the manufacturers i have a YouTube channel? :grimacing: (I don’t use it, but I have one :wink: )

Reef:
Fair point, but it’s those brands (well definitely two of) that I’m most interested in purchasing for myself. I don’t mind people offering their opinions and feedback on similar models though, just as long as they are of the three manufacturers and if possible the truck or top spec variants.

The reason I chose those specific models and listed them as such is I thought other people might be considering one of those too, a lot of people tend to look at the top models and then if finances are not favourable may choose a smaller screen size or one with slightly less features to better suit their budget, my budget doesn’t suffer the same restrictions fortunately but I don’t want to waste my money on ill informed decisions either.

Still not been offered any freebies to test off any of the three yet though :frowning: Would it help if I told the manufacturers i have a YouTube channel? :grimacing: (I don’t use it, but I have one :wink: )

If you lived closer I’d of borrowed you my TomTom 6000 for a week to try out.

xichrisxi:
If you lived closer I’d of borrowed you my TomTom 6000 for a week to try out.

That would’ve have been great, thanks for that :slight_smile:

voted tomtom only have the 6000 it gets me to new places every time.

I have the Garmin!

1. Traffic updates are from a DAB signal and sometimes only received after I’m sat in the queue. But it is free.

2. Traffic updates can repeat themselves when received more than once.

3. Search function is not always the easiest to use especially if you are trying to find something in another town/city which has to be selected first. Once you have that sussed it is rather good. But you can’t search for a business name though, ie “Brian Blessed’s Voice Coaching Services Ltd”

4. Screen is large and clear.

5. I can’t seem to change the speeds for road types (I’m still learning how to use it fully) so the eta is often too early compared to real life. One thing that doesn’t help is my unit is limited to 54 and the sat nav calculates at 60 for DC/Motorway.

6. It has never got me lost, I have when I think I know better! But is that because I use Google to pinpoint the building I want and adjust the sat nav before I start my journey. Not really as it would get me to the right postcode anyway if not to the right entrance, and you still have to use your head when at a destination.

7. It has never got me stuck looking at a bridge/weight limit/HGV restriction going “Oh bugger!”

8. Faced with the same decision again about which one to get, would I still make the same choice. I really don’t know. I have no regrets about the one I bought but often wonder if one of the others would have been better.

Excellent replies thanks guys,

@ this is exactly the kind of insight I was looking/hoping for so thank you for taking the time to post, much appreciated.

The tomtom is better than the garmin. Had both. Garmins traffic is next to useless so rule it out.

Not used a snooper.

As above, the TomTom purely for the traffic info. My car has a built in Garmin and is useless for traffic.

Where I work now all Sat Navs are banned so don’t use one at all now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I’ve picked up from a few reviews now is the Garmin is slightly better at picking a truck friendly route than the TomTom, but the TomTom traffic is much better than Garmins, is that a fair assessment, and if so it begs the question which would you go for better routing or better traffic info?

(I know which I’d pick btw but I’m trying to keep my opinions out of it for now)

For me the traffic is more important but I suppose it depends if you’re always going to new places and how well you know the area. I have many years of driving behind me and I know London, Kent, Sussex and Anglia like the back of my hand so routing is not my primary concern. If I was asked to go to Manchester for example then it would be a different story but that’s highly unlikely!

The garmin is a terrible sat nav. I was seriously unimpressed. Thank God the GPS failed and I got a full refund off Amazon.

My company use tomtom webfleet, I have a tomtom 6000 which uses live traffic - they can see why I use a route and why i go off route.

Tomtom is spot on most of the time, but as you know it takes eyes to drive

I would vote for the Tom Tom, there is one missing and I’m surprised it’s no1 salesman hasn’t found this thread to mention it. :laughing:

biggriffin:
there is one missing and I’m surprised it’s no1 salesman hasn’t found this thread to mention it. :laughing:

Because this thread is about DEDICATED satnavs, not satnav apps :wink:

Anybody know about these 1s