Decker trailers

Any one got any info on what Decker trailers are like to work with, our place is getting some.

Double deckers? Just the same as normal trailers just slightly higher.

No live liquids on top deck, no single pallets over 500Kg and nothing that could be unstable. Always use internal straps and strap anything else that may tip over. Also, check the SWL of top deck to make sure you will not overload it, it is not uncommon for the uprights to go through the floor because of too much weight. Specially check the condition of the wooden flooring as its just sheets of ply and some companies tend to skimp and not use marine plywood.

First drops should go on top, unless too heavy, to save you running with a high centre of gravity. Take care going round corners.

Just usual loading advice and some common sense required.

They’re quite a bit higher than normal trailers - most of those are 13-14’ tall, double deckers are typically 16’ which is the tallest thing on the road that’s not an abnormal load - basically if a bridge has a height limit it’s almost certainly too low. Basically stick to motorways as much as possible (or the company’s recommended route if there is one) and if you use a sat-nav, make sure the height is entered in. Watch out for other drivers on narrow bits of motorway like most of the M25 - a lot of other drivers won’t give you room, which you’ll need if your tractor is underpowered (like my Axor 2540 last Tuesday night).

dekertrailers.co.uk/double-deck-trailers

Not all Dekers are deckers :wink:

Thanks for the replies, it was more the brand than double deckers as a whole. They are getting two 4.5m curtainsiders, and one double deck.
Have never used the brand. Was just wondering how well made they were.

From the double decker Deker trailers I’ve towed and seen at TPN, quite well made.

Thankyou Conor.

cypry0:
‘…Any one got any info on what Decker trailers are like to work with…?’

Ignore this cabbage idea at peril, but ensure your employer carries out a Risk Assessment before using them.

As a result of these monstrosities (obviously?) having low ceiling height - I’m too tall to work them :exclamation:

Christmas :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Also as serious and should the lift fail - check that operators/drivers are capable to use the escape hatch from the top deck - as many of my colleagues are unable to do so :open_mouth:

You may not have to go in the trailer - whenever I’ve used them, they’ve been loaded from the side by forklift.

I read once you can put
60% of the load weight on
the top deck

hitch:
I read once you can put
60% of the load weight on
the top deck

LOL, try putting 60% of a 20 ton load on the top deck when the SWL is 2,500Kg. Upload a photo of what happens.

And yes they are around cos my last company leased one from TOM.

Highest SWL for top deck I have seen is 10,500Kgs

We used to maintain some Deker double deck trailers and the body work was poor at best. The rear corner posts were always coming loose, the inner post bolts sheared off regularly and eventually the inner ladders and framework broke through due to stress. The first trailer we got was replaced because it broke apart so much, the side raves cracked through near the rear corner posts as well. Double deck trailers seem to have very stressed lives and need lots of maintenance. :wink: