Decisions Decisions!!

Well - as I posted earlier, I got a start coming up with Pawsons very soon. Local family run firm, start on the 13th with 3 days induction.

I also (before getting the start at Pawsons) approached Hanbury Davies via email and was invited for a local interview (Doncaster Depot) on Saturday. Interview went well and was taken out in a 52 plate MAN TGA for an assesment.

The upshot is that I’m pretty sure they will offer me a start when he calls me on Monday as promised. This would involve 2 weeks training down in Felixstowe then onto their “holiday relief” contract based out of Donny - and when a vacancy comes up on one of the other contracts comes up you move onto that & then get your own wagon.

Now I have to decide which to go for, the family run firm or the larger company with more intensive training course??.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Paul.

your just a number with the larger firm,with a family run firm your a name and they respect you more.but it’s your choice.never mind this thing about getting yer own wagon,it’s money and respect you want,not a nice new shine all mod cons truck.who really gives a hoot what type of truck you get and how many lights has it got on it.get your priorities right. :wink:

I was thinking more in terms of the training offered - 3 days against 2 weeks. As I understand it the induction with Pawsons will be geared towards their procedures, paperwork etc - HD would be a full 2 week course covering everything from differnt trailer types, dock procedures etc etc.

Money is similar at both places and I wouldnt get my own truck at HD but would at Pawsons (older unit).

Cheers,
Paul.

Hello there,
I started working for Hanbury Davies last monday(first driving job) pulling containers from southampton,they seem to be a good firm doing everything by the book,I was supposed to go on holiday relief (which is more money to start)but you could be put anywhere in the country,which I was 'nt too keen on they pay all your expenses depends what you want,but the TM in Southampton has given me my own wagon and I sleep in the yard all week if im not on a night out.I’ve heard from some of the other drivers that they dont push you too much either.hope this is of help.

My choice would be the family run concern, mainly because I hate being a number.

The training at Pawson’s will be shorter because they have less variation in their fleet and destinations than Hanbury, but from the drivers I have spoke to it will be just as in depth as the other one.

It all comes down to which sector you want to work in, Factory to RDC, or Dock to anywhere. Having done both I prefer the first. On the dock work you can spend alot of time sitting waiting for the boat or getting the Box/tilt cleared, and then still have to make the original delivery time.

Yes, with hanbury you are just a driver/number, you will get a nice truck whcih you are not aloud to modify in any way shape or form, including any dangly bits in the window.
They run a tight ship, 100% legal.
In my opinion, having done tramping for hanbury and a local bloke, things were alot more relaxed working for local outfit.
There are alot of do’s and dont’s on hanbury, you HAVE to park in secure parking every night, they give you a list of places, if you have an early tip on a monday expect to be running out on a sunday night with nothing but a night out payment to compensate you for it.
But all in all they were ok, but i think id go with pawsons to be honest.
Also il just add with regards to the training with hanbury, i was working for them out of southampton, first job after passing test.
Training was, get a lift with a bloke to birmingham to pick up my unit and trailer (MAN and a new skelly). Run back to southampton, gets in yard and am told you can go down the docks and pick this up please, a brief 5 minute about twist locks and closing the trailer and off i goes !! that was my training !

bikemonkey:
Hello there,
I started working for Hanbury Davies last monday(first driving job) pulling containers from southampton,they seem to be a good firm doing everything by the book,I was supposed to go on holiday relief (which is more money to start)but you could be put anywhere in the country,which I was 'nt too keen on they pay all your expenses depends what you want,but the TM in Southampton has given me my own wagon and I sleep in the yard all week if im not on a night out.I’ve heard from some of the other drivers that they dont push you too much either.hope this is of help.

They did this to me, sleeping in the yard and getting no night out money for it !
Ask to be put on the HCD contract then you wont be in the yard much :wink:

I would be interested to know what sort of training they will give you over a 2 week period. And who is going to give you it.

If its company policy then indoctrination is more likely. dont do this, dont do that and do not talk to other drivers!

Pawsons will treat you better, Im sure

I got the call offering me a start & told them I have to give a months notice to my current employer, This will give me a month to suss out the Pawsons job & if I like it I can give HD backword.

I reckon if I had to choose between the 2 now it would be Pawsons but this gives me the opportinity to test drive the position anyway.

Cheers,
Paul.

Bepto:
I got the call offering me a start & told them I have to give a months notice to my current employer, This will give me a month to suss out the Pawsons job & if I like it I can give HD backword.

I reckon if I had to choose between the 2 now it would be Pawsons but this gives me the opportinity to test drive the position anyway.

Cheers,
Paul.

Is the money offered by HD worked out the same as I’ve detailed in the thread on the main forum :question:. My mate who’s looking at going to them was also told he’d be on holiday relief to start but a basic of £450/week - this is on the Jacuzzi contract of course and not boxes.

Pawsons is all fridge work that I’ve seen. Traditional looking fleet if you get me but got talking to two of their drivers at Morrisons a while back and they said the money’s terrible for the amount of hours you’re expected to do and times of day plus days of the week you’re expected to work. This is how it goes with the smaller companies though. Generally speaking, the bigger the company, the more laid-back the work is because they’ve got the big blue chip contracts lining their pockets. :bulb:

Cheers.

The HD pay is £420 per week on the holiday relief contract, thats for a rolling 60 hours?? + night out money of £22ish per night & a £2 a day meal tallowance. The guy who took me for the assesment said he takes home £450 - £500 a week.

Pawsons is £6.80 per hour for the 1st 48 hours then time & half. + 19quid per night out + 15 per week bonus for paperwork?? + 10 meal allowance, they also pay parking. The guy said the average was about 24K per year which I guess is feasable based on 60+ hours per week.

As for the training, The HD guy said that would be 1 week not 2.
Cheers,
Paul.

Cheers,
Paul.

good call that man,nothing to lose that way if pawsons ain’t to your liking your in at hanburys,thats what i would have done :smiley: .

jon

Rob K:
Pawsons is all fridge work that I’ve seen.

They do a lot on boxes, mainly for Cadbury’s I think. They also do quite a bit of general haulage and even a bit of abnormal work. (Machinery etc.)

I drive past their yard quite a bit and their fleet is mostly Volvo/Scania/Mercedes, all reasonably new.

Main Contract are Cadburys & Nestle so I was told, I was just wondering whether any of their trucks were involved in the recent easter egg heist?

Cheers,
Paul.

Bepto:
Main Contract are Cadburys & Nestle so I was told, I was just wondering whether any of their trucks were involved in the recent easter egg heist?

Cheers,
Paul.

There was another post on that subject and Pawsons weren’t mentioned. Haven’t seen anything on the local news either.

Bepto:

Cheers,
Paul.

They probably will be now!

Not sure whether any fat chocaholics read these forums :stuck_out_tongue: