Decent long distant jobs

Here, just for Curryfart is the story of how I got my job at Kepstowe Freight Services.

In 1994 I had held my HGV licence for eight years, and had done continental work for about three or four years of that. I had driven across much of Germany and Italy but had never been to the Eastern Bloc. However, as a child of the Cold War I had always been fascinated by the slightly forbidding nature of the Soviet Union, and decided to get a job driving there- Communism had recently fallen and it was starting to open up.

I did some preparation- I went to WH Smiths and bought a “Teach yourself Russian” C90 cassette tape and phrase book. I played the tape over and over again. Sometimes I listened to it, sometimes I just let it play in the background. I learned the Cyrillic alphabet from the book. After two weeks I was ready to go in for the kill.

I knew that Kepstowe Freight Services were the main company running to Russia, so I found out where their office was (I can’t remember how I did this, this was before the days of the internet, but I found out anyway).

So one fine Spring day I had a bath and a shave, put on some clean clothes and caught a train from Ramsgate Station to Waterloo, then a suburban train to Wandsworth Town. I walked from there to Kepstowe’s office. I walked in completely unannounced and said “Hello, I’m looking for a job driving to Russia”.

This did flummox them a bit and they said “Er, um, we get a lot of applications” so I said “I speak Russian”.

They said “Do you?”

So I said “Yes. Not fluently but fairly well”. Then I said it again, only this time in Russian, which of course they all understood. I could tell they were impressed. :stuck_out_tongue:

So then they said “Well, we’ve not got anything going to Russia right now but we’ve got a roadshow going to Ukraine next week that we need a driver for, would you be interested in that?”

So I said “Yes, fine, I’ll see you next week then” and I went home to get my kit together. I worked there for the next four years until my twins were born and my work/life balance changed.

You see, there’s no “if your face fits” entitled elitism there. I just decided that I wanted something and I set out to get it. There was nothing stopping Curryfart from doing the exact same, apart from cowardice.

My story. I’d been driving trucks for 4 years in a variety of jobs (did 5 years on busses and coaches previously, all over Europe, experience which counted for nothing when I tried to get a job on trucks!), agency, full time etc, looking for ‘the one’. Was at HSF when someone told me Virginia were looking for drivers, so I rang them. Got a very very frosty reception, they’d recently had two ex HSF drivers who turned out to be a disaster! So anyway he asked me a few things and that was that, didn’t think anything would come of it. Two weeks later he rang and said ‘want to come and work for me’ so I snatched his hand off! Week later chucked everything in car and drove to Ireland to start what would be the most brilliant job of my driving career, probably always will be. A week after that after a couple of UK runs I was on my way to Portugal in my 10 month old R500 Topline. All it took was one phone call. No elitism, no little club, they didn’t know me from Adam but they needed a driver and I just happened to be in his phone.

Harry Monk:
Here, just for Curryfart is the story of how I got my job at Kepstowe Freight Services.

In 1994 I had held my HGV licence for eight years, and had done continental work for about three or four years of that. I had driven across much of Germany and Italy but had never been to the Eastern Bloc. However, as a child of the Cold War I had always been fascinated by the slightly forbidding nature of the Soviet Union, and decided to get a job driving there- Communism had recently fallen and it was starting to open up.

I did some preparation- I went to WH Smiths and bought a “Teach yourself Russian” C90 cassette tape and phrase book. I played the tape over and over again. Sometimes I listened to it, sometimes I just let it play in the background. I learned the Cyrillic alphabet from the book. After two weeks I was ready to go in for the kill.

I knew that Kepstowe Freight Services were the main company running to Russia, so I found out where their office was (I can’t remember how I did this, this was before the days of the internet, but I found out anyway).

So one fine Spring day I had a bath and a shave, put on some clean clothes and caught a train from Ramsgate Station to Waterloo, then a suburban train to Wandsworth Town. I walked from there to Kepstowe’s office. I walked in completely unannounced and said “Hello, I’m looking for a job driving to Russia”.

This did flummox them a bit and they said “Er, um, we get a lot of applications” so I said “I speak Russian”.

They said “Do you?”

So I said “Yes. Not fluently but fairly well”. Then I said it again, only this time in Russian, which of course they all understood. I could tell they were impressed. :stuck_out_tongue:

So then they said “Well, we’ve not got anything going to Russia right now but we’ve got a roadshow going to Ukraine next week that we need a driver for, would you be interested in that?”

So I said “Yes, fine, I’ll see you next week then” and I went home to get my kit together. I worked there for the next four years until my twins were born and my work/life balance changed.

You see, there’s no “if your face fits” entitled elitism there. I just decided that I wanted something and I set out to get it. There was nothing stopping Curryfart from doing the exact same, apart from cowardice.

While the job which I actually finally got a start date for remember :unamused: I had told them that I can speak and understand just about enough German,French and Italian to get me by let’s say anywhere much West of Russia and knew enough of the Cyrillic alphabet to not be totally word blind ( but still almost ) in those parts of the Balkans where I went on numerous road trips that used it.What I didn’t tell them is that,at that point,I didn’t have the slightest clue what a CMR form was or the finer points of all the other bureaucracy that goes with the territory of different types of international freight movements and customs status nor border protocols of same.Now I get it the guvnors were phsycic with telepathic powers they knew and that’s why,unlike you,I got a phone call afterwards telling me the deal was off after all.That was more or less the final straw in my almost 10 year + search for the job which I actually wanted in the industry in which I certainly had no intent on limiting the places I wanted to go,based on stupid idea that I would need to know the languages of all the different areas of the Eurasian continent where I might get sent to.With Dutch and Greek arguably being more difficult than Russian in that regard.Cowardice BS. :bulb: :wink:

One of Albion’s drivers’ story.

I was doing some cash in hand yard work on a Saturday for a removals company. Albion’s ops manager came into the yard every now and again. He was impressed that I seemed a hard worker and polite. He heard I had a class 1 and was looking for a job so he offered and I jumped at the chance of doing some Euro work as therecarent too many places that will take a chance on someone under 25 and with no experience.

albion:
One of Albion’s drivers’ story.

I was doing some cashing hand yard work on a Saturday for a removals company. Albion’s ops manager came into the yard every now and again. He was impressed that I seemed a hard worker and polite. He heard I had a class 1 and was looking for a job so he offered and I jumped at the chance of doing some Euro work as therecarent too many places that will take a chance on someone under 25 and with no experience.

Part 2 (phone playing up). It helped that I went out with a more experienced driver. It was a good job, sometimes long hours, but I saw all of Western Europe, Norway and Sweden. Stayed in hotels, ate on expenses, customers treat you nicely with the odd idiot.

Some people might say it was a face fits thing, but that isnt fair, it discounts the fact the only reason my face fitted was because I had the right attitude. Not everyone does.

Carryfast:

Harry Monk:
The driver doesn’t decide whether the load travels under ATA or TIR or something else, the operator does. The driver simply presents the carnet he will have been given by the operator at the requisite Customs offices en route. Other than that he has no involvement with it.

I can’t personally see where having an International CPC would help in obtaining a job, in fact if anything it’s the opposite and I personally have never mentioned mine when going for a truck driving job.

Let’s get this right you’re saying that the ‘Operator’ in question is going to look at this new UK experience only driver,even if that and even if the idea of driving into his yard unannounced shouting gissajob really did work in getting that fast track interview. :unamused: Without that ‘operator’ thinking can I trust this comedian to even know what to do with a CMR form,ATA or TIR carnet or even know what they all mean,when I tell him to use it as required,or even use the correct lane and actually stop as required and what to do then :open_mouth: when he sees the Transit sign at the relevant borders etc etc for the checking of seals/papers.So tell us what do these international job adverts mean by ‘able to deal with/sort out’ all the relevant ‘paperwork’ and why wouldn’t putting an International CPC on the table at least help to alleviate that issue.

So loads of people who’ve done the job tell you that they haven’t needed an Operators CPC to get a job,
The advert you posted didn’t ask for an operators CPC,
People who have an Operators CPC tell you it not something a driver would need,
People who’ve run haulage companies running international have said it’s not something they’d require from a driver.
What part of you don’t need an International CPC are you struggling with?

Carryfast:

muckles:
But they’re not asking for an International CPC, :unamused: and so one company going through an agency are asking for experience, although they’ve given the agency their most desirable expectations for a candidate, no idea what the job is though.

But this job, temp driving for the Stobart F1 contracts I believe, double manning, but gets you over the water.
totaljobs.com/job/hgv-class … ob86618789

European driving experience would be an advantage but not essential

indeed.co.uk/viewjob?cmp=Se … dceb&vjs=3

Have a minimum of 12 months Class 1 driving experience and preferably 6 months Continental driving experience.

Preferably, not must have European experience,

Also no mention that an International CPC would be useful. :open_mouth:
skhaulage.net/careers/

For all the above driving vacancies, candidates should hold a UK C+E HGV licence, CPC and ideally 2 years’ experience within the road haulage industry.

No requirement for an International CPC, :open_mouth: or even European experience, or even 2 years experience of HGV driving, just would be nice.
matthewstransport.co.uk/job-vacancies
No mention of experience of any kind there, knock on the door and say you’re willing to be away for weeks on end.

Then you have Radar19, was doing something like ferry trailer work in the UK, but got on with Stagetruck with no previous experience.
I heard about a job on here on a Sunday night from somebody who were desperate for a driver to take a truck to Le Mans on Tuesday, first time I met them or saw the truck was when I turned up at their place on Tuesday morning.

So we keep telling you it was and although harder is still possible to get into European driving, but you failed, look in the mirror for the reason why.

While you come up with a load more bollox bigging up the play on words between preferable v essential and trying to extrapolate a few exceptions not even exactly proving any rules.

You obviously struggle with the English language if you don’t understand the difference between preferable and essential, (although even the word essential wouldn’t have stopped many people, who really wanted it, from applying) and 2 of the 4 jobs, which I found with the briefest internet searches, didn’t even ask for international experience.

Carryfast:
Especially knowing the deserved reputation which race transporter work has always had for turning into rigging and tyre fitting and other assorted crap on arrival so rightly or wrongly not exactly inundated with hopefuls and probably the international version of a desperate employer who’ll accept anyone within reason.

Oh savage, but simply not true, you’ll hardly ever see a Motorsport Truckie’s job advertised, simply no need to, the applications turn up even when there aren’t job going, we just keep them on file and contact people when there is a vacancy.

Carryfast:
As supposedly proving that all anyone needs to do is just arrive unannounced on site with a background in driving for the Council and UK Night Trunking interspersed with the usual agency dross and they’ll be thrown the keys and told to take a load across Europe and bring one back and ‘preferable’ doesn’t mean exactly what it says.Yeah right.

But that’s how many people got their break into International driving, by turning up and asking, maybe not the first place or even the first 10 places, but they kept at it. And as I keep saying, everybody started out as an inexperienced driver, so they must have found a way of getting their first trip, perhaps they weren’t put off by the words essential or preferable.

Carryfast:
As for the mirror I’m quite happy with having done what I did with a clean safe record with written acknowledgement during my service,from my previous 15 year employment,of that and don’t need to answer,to any arrogant self appointed tossers who don’t even know me,thinking they have the right to judge me,in that.On that note no thanks I was happier with the UK night trunking and keep the international race road trips with a quick car,as a spectator for my time off.Rather than double manned runs between race venues and possibly also expected to be general labourer during the event on arrival.Which explains why I didn’t even bother looking for those jobs and don’t even think that is meant as sour grapes.

If you’re happy with what you’ve done stop bloody complaining, somehow you didn’t get a driving job when there were loads going, so either you didn’t apply yourself to the task, but expected the best job to land in your lap or any prospective employer looked at you and thought no chance.

“Couldn’t get laid in a brothel” is the expression which comes to mind here. :wink:

Stop feeding the troll.

muckles:
So loads of people who’ve done the job tell you that they haven’t needed an Operators CPC to get a job,
The advert you posted didn’t ask for an operators CPC,
People who have an Operators CPC tell you it not something a driver would need,
People who’ve run haulage companies running international have said it’s not something they’d require from a driver.
What part of you don’t need an International CPC are you struggling with?

It does seem rather strange, but Carryfast simply refuses to accept that it was possible to get continental work simply by turning up at a transport company which did continental work and asking them if they had any jobs going, despite the fact that dozens, probably hundreds of TruckNet members have told him over the years that this was exactly how they got started on continental work.

To say that he spent 10+ years unsuccessfully looking for continental work at a time when the UK was awash with it, and when tens of thousands of drivers started doing it with no previous experience would tend to suggest to me that he might have been going about it the wrong way, rather than that it was some type of exclusive club which conspired to exclude him from the party.

So it’s hardly surprising that he won’t accept that an International CPC would not be helpful, now he has got it into his head that it would.

Thread drift much…?

I have been reading this site since around 2006, I comment little but read a lot - almost daily sadly.

God, are some you not happy unless you are unhappy. Some of you really ought to have a word with yourselves.

All this - ‘this’ or ‘+1’, ‘what he said’. Yeah…ok.

Why does almost thread result in some sort of slanging match?

This thread says it all.

Grow up posters of Trucknet.

Londontrucker123:
I comment little but read a lot - almost daily sadly.

No one’s…

Forcing you to read it almost daily. If it’s upsetting you that much then stop visiting the site altogether.

Carryfast:

Geoffo:
Haulfast didn’t go far, mainly Northern France, Belgium & Netherlands also not every week, but it was a start for some of the guys who hadn’t had any experience of driving abroad.

Admittedly mainly Dewsbury based drivers, but one of the Nuneaton guys did manage Reims once.

From memory I think the proposed operation as I’d heard it was ( going to be called ) ‘Eurofast’ ?.I was based at Feltham not Nuneaton and as stated the only information I ever heard was that ‘if’ it happened it would be a Carryfast side trunking type operation not a Haulfast tramping type one and Feltham was likely to be a/the chosen depot to base it out of.I can also deffo remember a Russia connection being mentioned and saying zb that in the winter with the old Carryfast supplied uniform jacket :laughing:.

But seriously if Seabourne’s international trunks were being displaced by Airfreighting Euro work soon after their takeover by UPS then we would have had no chance in the longer term.So I guess something changed in the original plan as I’d heard it.Possibly moving it from Carryfast over to Haulfast ? and it was all kept very quiet in that regard from that point because I nor anyone I knew never heard any more about it,or about anyone doing it.Either when doing Nuneaton hub type runs after the end of the Scottish changeover I did previously,or the last remaining Feltham/Luton-Dewsbury direct trunk.While my cynicism goes far enough to think that short haul Channel hopping work won’t cut it either if then looking for longer haul work.The whole elitist thing is that ridiculous.

Eurofast name rings a distant bell.
I left Carryfast just before the UPS takeover.
I started at the North Kilworth depot and was transferred to Nuneaton after NK was shut down.

Geoffo:

Carryfast:

Geoffo:
Haulfast didn’t go far, mainly Northern France, Belgium & Netherlands also not every week, but it was a start for some of the guys who hadn’t had any experience of driving abroad.

Admittedly mainly Dewsbury based drivers, but one of the Nuneaton guys did manage Reims once.

From memory I think the proposed operation as I’d heard it was ( going to be called ) ‘Eurofast’ ?.I was based at Feltham not Nuneaton and as stated the only information I ever heard was that ‘if’ it happened it would be a Carryfast side trunking type operation not a Haulfast tramping type one and Feltham was likely to be a/the chosen depot to base it out of.I can also deffo remember a Russia connection being mentioned and saying zb that in the winter with the old Carryfast supplied uniform jacket :laughing:.

But seriously if Seabourne’s international trunks were being displaced by Airfreighting Euro work soon after their takeover by UPS then we would have had no chance in the longer term.So I guess something changed in the original plan as I’d heard it.Possibly moving it from Carryfast over to Haulfast ? and it was all kept very quiet in that regard from that point because I nor anyone I knew never heard any more about it,or about anyone doing it.Either when doing Nuneaton hub type runs after the end of the Scottish changeover I did previously,or the last remaining Feltham/Luton-Dewsbury direct trunk.While my cynicism goes far enough to think that short haul Channel hopping work won’t cut it either if then looking for longer haul work.The whole elitist thing is that ridiculous.

Eurofast name rings a distant bell.
I left Carryfast just before the UPS takeover.
I started at the North Kilworth depot and was transferred to Nuneaton after NK was shut down.

I actually started in ‘85 doing a double FM/NK run and when yeti was also there by all accounts.We were still doing all direct inter depot trunks when NN opened.NN then later became a hub as part of a change to a hub system type operation which also ended up in an argument over drivers having to be involved in the resulting transhipment operation and by default then all loading unloading operations,all of it hand ball and pallets all got rid of,by way of a ridiculous union agreement ( don’t ask :unamused: ).While as stated the transfer to UPS ended up in some retrograde changes for both Barking’s ex Seaborne drivers and us depending on view point.With UPS’ let’s say more air freight and hub system based way of moving stuff removing most of our UK direct inter depot trunking way of working,let alone what international trunking operations that might have been for us and decimating those of former Seaborne’s existing international trunks as I heard it their drivers moaning about no longer doing direct Milan type runs and often more likely to be doing UK work between our depots and sitting with us in the canteen at NN point blank refusing to work in the warehouse ( correctly ) claiming that,unlike Feeders,their Linehaul Driver status meant at least not being part of the said ‘agreement’.Basically as usual with my luck any international opportunities we might have had would have ended up being transferred to Barking’s international Linehaul operations and not much point in trying to transfer over to there because of the predictable curtailment of their operations,anyway.Especially in my case as it would have meant chucking away loads of seniority for little return at that point before our takeover had taken place and after that all I was hearing from Barking’s drivers was bad news of UK work and just Channel hopping at best just as I thought would probably happen there.

A little over 2yrs ago a forum member posted a potential job going at his place, after a few PM’s about the job I went to see the TM that Saturday (Would have gone sooner but a tramper). Spoke for a bit, gave my CV and left. Wednesday I get a call from the company secretary, “If you want the job still can you start next Wednesday?”, I questioned whether I could start the following Monday due to giving notice at my current job, but that was not an option, “The ferry is booked Wednesday morning as you are off to Budapest”.

I finished that days work and handed my notice in sharpish and with no time to waste I finished that job Tuesday evening and was in my new job to Hungary the next morning.

I was 28, no Irish/Euro experience and have since travelled on multiple jollies: N. Ireland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Holland, Spain, Germany, Austria and Hungary.

Im always paying attention to who else from the UK is out there for future jobs if ever needed. Radar19 did a lot more then me at a similar age and the longest I ever did in one go was 3 weeks, he probably did 3 months in his line of work.

Like Harry said earlier in the topic, I make it very obvious the moment they are evening quoting a job to Euro in the office that im up for it, but that’s why the likes of carryfast don’t get near it :laughing: :wink:

mrginge:
Like Harry said earlier in the topic, I make it very obvious the moment they are evening quoting a job to Euro in the office that im up for it, but that’s why the likes of carryfast don’t get near it :laughing: :wink:

Yep every international job I applied for I said really don’t want to go there not up for that ideally I’d prefer class 3 local building deliveries bonus points if it’s scaffolding work can I do that instead. :unamused:

While what you’ve described doesn’t exactly fit the description of just walking into the office unannounced saying gissajob or even a cold call on the phone.It does fit the description of in the know and also possibly not done your fair share of zb jobs,before being given an opportunity to climb the ladder with no strings and anyone welcome to apply and try the job regardless.On that note the idea of decent job offers being based on ‘recommendation’ and not equal opportunities for all and that no one should be able to leap frog the queue in that regard like 10 + years,let alone a whole career,of zb for some and all the cream for others actually adds to my case of an arbitrary face fits career progression regime.

mrginge:
A little over 2yrs ago a forum member posted a potential job going at his place, after a few PM’s about the job I went to see the TM that Saturday (Would have gone sooner but a tramper). Spoke for a bit, gave my CV and left. Wednesday I get a call from the company secretary, “If you want the job still can you start next Wednesday?”, I questioned whether I could start the following Monday due to giving notice at my current job, but that was not an option, “The ferry is booked Wednesday morning as you are off to Budapest”.

I finished that days work and handed my notice in sharpish and with no time to waste I finished that job Tuesday evening and was in my new job to Hungary the next morning.

I was 28, no Irish/Euro experience and have since travelled on multiple jollies: N. Ireland, Ireland, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Holland, Spain, Germany, Austria and Hungary.

Im always paying attention to who else from the UK is out there for future jobs if ever needed. Radar19 did a lot more then me at a similar age and the longest I ever did in one go was 3 weeks, he probably did 3 months in his line of work.

In truth that was then now it is different, then it was easier if you were willing nobody bothered a eye lid if you were willing to do it they just wanted the load gone as long as you could drive, it’s not as easy now to get on that ladder, it’s a lot to do with experience now and its no how and it all boils down to health and safety and knowing what your doing
It’s not a job for everyone or anyone, I would call it a speciality in that it’s a way of life and you had to love what you were doing
I did and made money big money from it

I have heard that Barry Proctor brick delivery services has got 8 trucks standing someone told me he is looking for drivers he is in Stoke-on-Trent but he does have out based drivers if anyone interested with crane licence might be worth a try he is director on road haulage association Tel 01782-785900 I got the information about 5 hand.

I was told on a Friday to get a visitors passport [this was 1970] cost £1.50 and come in Sunday to go to Germany. No experience of driving abroad at all. Things were a lot less complicated in those days.

mrginge:

And that folks is how you land jobs, you were hungry/keen enough and they saw it, bingo :sunglasses:

Poncing about having a think about it, a chat with the Mrs etc, by the time you’ve done that the job has gone to the Mrginge’s who, early bird style, got the worm.