Decent long distant jobs

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:
Having said that with hindsight I would/should have done the international CPC before taking my class 1 and that’s what I usually advise those like the OP to do.That’s probably worth more to such employers than any international car driving ‘experience’.Although don’t ask me how most of those situations wanted ads in the Truck magazine had that qualification in their armoury while those like Harry could just walk into any job they felt like without that either.

I simply cannot understand how an International CPC would help anyone to get a job driving a truck on continental work. An International CPC is an operator’s or transport manager’s qualification, not a driver qualification. In all the time I did continental work, I never knew of one single driver who had an International CPC.

Incidentally, I have an International CPC myself, so I know what I am talking about here, but I did not obtain it until some five years after I stopped doing regular continental work.

The fact that you felt that placing a “situations wanted” advert in a truck magazine would get you a job says it all really. Why didn’t you just do what I did, and visit some international transport firms in your car asking if they had any jobs going?

I did my international CPC at 19. Was just a waste of paper until I came to be a transport manager for Virginia at what I thought at time was the end of my driving career. So agreed, no help whatsoever.

Carryfast:

Geoffo:
Carryfast…

Did you not get the chance to go to Haulfast the sister company of Carryfast as they did some European work ( mid to late '80’s) before UPS bought them both out??

A couple of guys I worked with at Nuneaton depot transferred to Haulfast.

Certainly don’t remember nor aware of any international operations carried out by Haulfast then.But Carryfast was at one point intending on possibly starting up some Continental and even Russian trunking operations.Which ironically I was told I’d be put down on the list of drivers for if/when it happened which predictably it didn’t.Even more ironically that transpired after I’d told them that I’d been for an interview with Seaborne/UPS and was told a story by the guvnor there which sounded like a mixture of too good to be true runs combined with dross like running over to Mechelen when by that point I’d got the same cynicism to the whole thing as I’ve shown here.With my suspicions heightened not least because the office walls were covered with pictures of UPS freight aircraft not trucks. :open_mouth: :laughing: Leaving me with an impression that Seaborne’s international trunking operations were soon going to be changing for the worse which proved correct in a matter of months after UPS unbelievably also bought us out too.Listening to Seaborne’s then ‘Linehaul’ drivers moaning about the loss of their previous regular Barking Milan type runs and being given what was left of our inter depot trunks combined with Calais changeovers instead.While we were mostly relegated to hub system Feeder type zb meaning 4 hours driving and 5 hours working in the hub warehouse.So as I’ve said excuse my cynicism in calling a spade a spade even during the so called ‘hey day’ of Brit international work.

Haulfast didn’t go far, mainly Northern France, Belgium & Netherlands also not every week, but it was a start for some of the guys who hadn’t had any experience of driving abroad.

Admittedly mainly Dewsbury based drivers, but one of the Nuneaton guys did manage Reims once.

Carryfast:
Ironically the accusation of an anarchic abitrary face fits career progression regime within the industry applied/s even moreso/mostly at that stage.Followed by the all too predictable wanting to make sure they then kept/keep it all for themselves when they’ve got it rather than rotate between UK and Euro work so everyone gets a share of the cream.

So did you imagine that when you were on the dustcarts, they were going to call you into the office and say “You’ll be doing the Barcelona run next week”?

Every continental job I got, I got by asking for it. If you come back in the next life as a less timid version of yourself then that’s what I’d suggest you do rather than placing “situations wanted” adverts in drivers’ magazines hoping that the industry will beat a path to your door.

Jump in the car and go see them . Before you leave put your gear in the car (as in enough gear, clothes , bedding to last you a week )your passport , licence, dcpc card and digi card. And take enough money and bank cards with you to buy the rest . A chat face to face and a willing attitude to get in and go will work a lot better than a phone call , facebook message or a cv in the post .
In this game you just never know when a driver dosen’t turn in and a truck and load are sat waiting while the owner flaps looking a driver . A driver stood in the yard ready , willing and able gets the job where others won’t .
Shy bairns get nowt.

Harry Monk:
I simply cannot understand how an International CPC would help anyone to get a job driving a truck on continental work. An International CPC is an operator’s or transport manager’s qualification, not a driver qualification. In all the time I did continental work, I never knew of one single driver who had an International CPC.

Incidentally, I have an International CPC myself, so I know what I am talking about here, but I did not obtain it until some five years after I stopped doing regular continental work.

The fact that you felt that placing a “situations wanted” advert in a truck magazine would get you a job says it all really. Why didn’t you just do what I did, and visit some international transport firms in your car asking if they had any jobs going?

Firstly you’ll know then that it deals extensively with customs and international freight movement protocols.So at least that’s the paperwork/regulation side of the job sorted and the removal of any bs ‘experience’ excuses and obstacles in that regard.

As for me no I didn’t bother with the situations wanted section in the Truck mags.The point was how many filled those pages in a supposed environment in which all they had to do was walk into any international operator’s yard saying gissajob.Plenty of those ads also obviously agreeing with me that putting an international CPC on the table was also worthwhile.

beefy4605:
Jump in the car and go see them . Before you leave put your gear in the car (as in enough gear, clothes , bedding to last you a week )your passport , licence, dcpc card and digi card. And take enough money and bank cards with you to buy the rest . A chat face to face and a willing attitude to get in and go will work a lot better than a phone call , facebook message or a cv in the post .
In this game you just never know when a driver dosen’t turn in and a truck and load are sat waiting while the owner flaps looking a driver . A driver stood in the yard ready , willing and able gets the job where others won’t .
Shy bairns get nowt.

That is exactly how I got my first continental job, just a few weeks after passing my HGV test. I drove into a local international transport haulier’s yard in east Kent with all of the things you mentioned above in my car- not the digicard or DCPC card in those days obviously- and asked to speak to the Head Honcho.

He was hesitant at first as I had so little experience, but eventually he said “If we do have a job, when could you start?”

So I said “Right now”.

And that was it. Ten minutes later I was driving out of their yard in one of their trucks on my way to Manchester. When I got back the next afternoon they said “Are you ok to ship out to France this evening?”

But according to Curryfart, you can’t turn up unannounced at a transport firm or they will forcibly eject you. :stuck_out_tongue:

Harry Monk:

beefy4605:
Shy bairns get nowt.

That is exactly how I got my first continental job, just a few weeks after passing my HGV test. I drove into a local international transport haulier’s yard in east Kent with all of the things you mentioned above in my car.

They were hesitant as I had so little experience, but they said “If we do have a job, when could you start?”

So I said “Right now”.

And ten minutes later I was driving out of their yard in one of their trucks on my way to Manchester. When I got back the next day they said “Are you ok to ship out to France this evening?”

But according to Curryfart, you can’t turn up unannounced at a transport firm or they will forcibly eject you. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was happily trundling round Ireland and the UK in a 85 CF DAF doing chilled and frozen groupage when 2 months after starting the job I got a phonecall -
Boss -" Go meet Martin in Hartshead moor services "
Me - “why?”
Boss - "Cos he’s bringing your lorry home "
me - “OK where am i going in Martins lorry ?”
Boss -"one drop in Newcastle one in Gateshead then load in Dunns and tip Boulogne and reload Ostend "
me - "I aint never been to the continent "
Boss - "You’ll be Ok Martin will tell you everything you need to know "
click
One very scared young man sitting in Hartshead Moor being talked through the whole thing , paper maps drawn , where to get vigenets for Belgium etc etc ,eventually Martin left and I had no choice but to get on with it . I did and while it wasn’t the way I had planned to spend Easter that year everyone I met helped me out and I ended up enjoying the whole experience . No it wasn’t Southern Spain , Italy or Greece (that came later )but quite far enough for a first trip .Never once in the almost 20 years since have I encountered any of this elitist , cut above the rest crap that others are talking about here - your either up for the job or your making excuses not to get on with it .

Geoffo:
Haulfast didn’t go far, mainly Northern France, Belgium & Netherlands also not every week, but it was a start for some of the guys who hadn’t had any experience of driving abroad.

Admittedly mainly Dewsbury based drivers, but one of the Nuneaton guys did manage Reims once.

From memory I think the proposed operation as I’d heard it was ( going to be called ) ‘Eurofast’ ?.I was based at Feltham not Nuneaton and as stated the only information I ever heard was that ‘if’ it happened it would be a Carryfast side trunking type operation not a Haulfast tramping type one and Feltham was likely to be a/the chosen depot to base it out of.I can also deffo remember a Russia connection being mentioned and saying zb that in the winter with the old Carryfast supplied uniform jacket :laughing:.

But seriously if Seabourne’s international trunks were being displaced by Airfreighting Euro work soon after their takeover by UPS then we would have had no chance in the longer term.So I guess something changed in the original plan as I’d heard it.Possibly moving it from Carryfast over to Haulfast ? and it was all kept very quiet in that regard from that point because I nor anyone I knew never heard any more about it,or about anyone doing it.Either when doing Nuneaton hub type runs after the end of the Scottish changeover I did previously,or the last remaining Feltham/Luton-Dewsbury direct trunk.While my cynicism goes far enough to think that short haul Channel hopping work won’t cut it either if then looking for longer haul work.The whole elitist thing is that ridiculous.

Carryfast:

Harry Monk:

Firstly you’ll know then that it deals extensively with customs and international freight movement protocols.So at least that’s the paperwork/regulation side of the job sorted and the removal of any bs ‘experience’ excuses and obstacles in that regard.

As for me no I didn’t bother with the situations wanted section in the Truck mags.The point was how many filled those pages in a supposed environment in which all they had to do was walk into any international operator’s yard saying gissajob.Plenty of those ads also obviously agreeing with me that putting an international CPC on the table was also worthwhile.

Int CPC does not sway one way or another, it is nowhere near the top of the list in what I want from a driver. In some ways, it might work against. The last thing I want, talking about my work specifically, is a driver getting involved with customs. Even experienced forwarders come unstuck in my world; a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

As for all this elitist bs you keep.spouting, there isnt any. People with and without experience get jobs in all sorts of sectors based on a multitude of factors, some of them logical, some of them illogical. What does tip the balance, the one if you like consistency in the better jobs is, is this person the kind I want to work with? No employer unless Theybare desperate, wants to take on someone that finds excuses, comes up with conspiracy bs and lacks any self realisation.

Going by a lot of posts it does pay to have confidence and it payed off
It really can’t happen like that now not with all the stuff you have to do before you get a start like health and safety a days interduction in other words all the sillyness you have to listen to before you even drive
But i will say one thing there will always be the dreamers who dream but unfortunately when they wake up it is still only a dream

Carryfast:

The International CPC deals with things like Incoterms, and in which country VAT has to be paid if a load is carried from, say, Denmark to Greece. It doesn’t deal with anything a driver would have to do on a continental journey. There are plenty of past exam papers on the internet if you want to see for yourself.

See, here’s the thing. Numerous ex-continental drivers are trying to explain to you, calmly and logically why you never got a start and all you are doing is sticking your fingers in your ears and saying “Lah lah lah, I can’t hear you!”

Actually CF you were NEVER going to get that much vaunted continental gig quite simply because you are you!

If I was running an international transport operation and you turned up looking for a job I reckon that after enduring a diatribe of how I was doing it wrong and how I should be running my operation I’d be struggling as to whether I should call security to have you removed or whether the kinder thing would be to call the people in white coats to take you away in a jacket that fastened at the back!

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:

The International CPC deals with things like Incoterms, and in which country VAT has to be paid if a load is carried from, say, Denmark to Greece. It doesn’t deal with anything a driver would have to do on a continental journey. There are plenty of past exam papers on the internet if you want to see for yourself.

See, here’s the thing. Numerous ex-continental drivers are trying to explain to you, calmly and logically why you never got a start and all you are doing is sticking your fingers in your ears and saying “Lah lah lah, I can’t hear you!”

So you’re saying you’ll never see any reference within International CPC papers to CMR’s and different customs clearance requirements for all the different types of clearance status IE EU non EU.ATA does or doesn’t apply and if so needs to be notified on entry.Load running under TIR.AETR v EU hours regs.Etc Etc.

Why bother with this type of clearly worded ad.When they’d actually be happy with a anyone just driving into their yard and saying to anyone who looks in control I’ve got my licence and all my kit to be away for as long as you like so I’m good to go which truck am I taking.It really is that easy at least on planet Zog. :unamused:

uk.linkedin.com/jobs/view/lgv-h … 1436702067

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:

And to be fair when I did it, it’s different now, it didn’t really deal with anything ‘extensively’ and anyone could pass it was that easy

Carryfast:

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:

So you’re saying you’ll never see any reference within International CPC papers to CMR’s and different customs clearance requirements for all the different types of clearance status IE EU non EU.ATA does or doesn’t apply and if so needs to be notified on entry.Load running under TIR.AETR v EU hours regs.Etc Etc.

Why bother with this type of clearly worded ad.When they’d actually be happy with a anyone just driving into their yard and saying to anyone who looks in control I’ve got my licence and all my kit to be away for as long as you like so I’m good to go which truck am I taking.It really is that easy at least on planet Zog. :unamused:

uk.linkedin.com/jobs/view/lgv-h … 1436702067

But they’re not asking for an International CPC, :unamused: and so one company going through an agency are asking for experience, although they’ve given the agency their most desirable expectations for a candidate, no idea what the job is though.

But this job, temp driving for the Stobart F1 contracts I believe, double manning, but gets you over the water.
totaljobs.com/job/hgv-class … ob86618789

European driving experience would be an advantage but not essential

indeed.co.uk/viewjob?cmp=Se … dceb&vjs=3

Have a minimum of 12 months Class 1 driving experience and preferably 6 months Continental driving experience.

Preferably, not must have European experience,

Also no mention that an International CPC would be useful. :open_mouth:
skhaulage.net/careers/

For all the above driving vacancies, candidates should hold a UK C+E HGV licence, CPC and ideally 2 years’ experience within the road haulage industry.

No requirement for an International CPC, :open_mouth: or even European experience, or even 2 years experience of HGV driving, just would be nice.
matthewstransport.co.uk/job-vacancies
No mention of experience of any kind there, knock on the door and say you’re willing to be away for weeks on end.

Then you have Radar19, was doing something like ferry trailer work in the UK, but got on with Stagetruck with no previous experience.
I heard about a job on here on a Sunday night from somebody who were desperate for a driver to take a truck to Le Mans on Tuesday, first time I met them or saw the truck was when I turned up at their place on Tuesday morning.

So we keep telling you it was and although harder is still possible to get into European driving, but you failed, look in the mirror for the reason why.

muckles:
But they’re not asking for an International CPC, :unamused: and so one company going through an agency are asking for experience, although they’ve given the agency their most desirable expectations for a candidate, no idea what the job is though.

But this job, temp driving for the Stobart F1 contracts I believe, double manning, but gets you over the water.
totaljobs.com/job/hgv-class … ob86618789

European driving experience would be an advantage but not essential

indeed.co.uk/viewjob?cmp=Se … dceb&vjs=3

Have a minimum of 12 months Class 1 driving experience and preferably 6 months Continental driving experience.

Preferably, not must have European experience,

Also no mention that an International CPC would be useful. :open_mouth:
skhaulage.net/careers/

For all the above driving vacancies, candidates should hold a UK C+E HGV licence, CPC and ideally 2 years’ experience within the road haulage industry.

No requirement for an International CPC, :open_mouth: or even European experience, or even 2 years experience of HGV driving, just would be nice.
matthewstransport.co.uk/job-vacancies
No mention of experience of any kind there, knock on the door and say you’re willing to be away for weeks on end.

Then you have Radar19, was doing something like ferry trailer work in the UK, but got on with Stagetruck with no previous experience.
I heard about a job on here on a Sunday night from somebody who were desperate for a driver to take a truck to Le Mans on Tuesday, first time I met them or saw the truck was when I turned up at their place on Tuesday morning.

So we keep telling you it was and although harder is still possible to get into European driving, but you failed, look in the mirror for the reason why.

While you come up with a load more bollox bigging up the play on words between preferable v essential and trying to extrapolate a few exceptions not even exactly proving any rules.Especially knowing the deserved reputation which race transporter work has always had for turning into rigging and tyre fitting and other assorted crap on arrival so rightly or wrongly not exactly inundated with hopefuls and probably the international version of a desperate employer who’ll accept anyone within reason.As supposedly proving that all anyone needs to do is just arrive unannounced on site with a background in driving for the Council and UK Night Trunking interspersed with the usual agency dross and they’ll be thrown the keys and told to take a load across Europe and bring one back and ‘preferable’ doesn’t mean exactly what it says.Yeah right.

As for the mirror I’m quite happy with having done what I did with a clean safe record with written acknowledgement during my service,from my previous 15 year employment,of that and don’t need to answer,to any arrogant self appointed tossers who don’t even know me,thinking they have the right to judge me,in that.On that note no thanks I was happier with the UK night trunking and keep the international race road trips with a quick car,as a spectator for my time off.Rather than double manned runs between race venues and possibly also expected to be general labourer during the event on arrival.Which explains why I didn’t even bother looking for those jobs and don’t even think that is meant as sour grapes.

Carryfast:

The driver doesn’t decide whether the load travels under ATA or TIR or something else, the operator does. The driver simply presents the carnet he will have been given by the operator at the requisite Customs offices en route. Other than that he has no involvement with it.

I can’t personally see where having an International CPC would help in obtaining a job, in fact if anything it’s the opposite and I personally have never mentioned mine when going for a truck driving job.

I agree with harry just present the facts asked for, I never said about TM CPC full ADR or DGSA unless it was requested, nobody wants a know all starting, most cannot supress the fact of knowledge which can and does create friction, apply for and accept the job for what it is, not what you want it to be,

hotel magnum:
nobody wants a know all starting,

:laughing: I’ll leave others to insert appropriate comments.

Harry Monk:
The driver doesn’t decide whether the load travels under ATA or TIR or something else, the operator does. The driver simply presents the carnet he will have been given by the operator at the requisite Customs offices en route. Other than that he has no involvement with it.

I can’t personally see where having an International CPC would help in obtaining a job, in fact if anything it’s the opposite and I personally have never mentioned mine when going for a truck driving job.

Let’s get this right you’re saying that the ‘Operator’ in question is going to look at this new UK experience only driver,even if that and even if the idea of driving into his yard unannounced shouting gissajob really did work in getting that fast track interview. :unamused: Without that ‘operator’ thinking can I trust this comedian to even know what to do with a CMR form,ATA or TIR carnet or even know what they all mean,when I tell him to use it as required,or even use the correct lane and actually stop as required and what to do then :open_mouth: when he sees the Transit sign at the relevant borders etc etc for the checking of seals/papers.So tell us what do these international job adverts mean by ‘able to deal with/sort out’ all the relevant ‘paperwork’ and why wouldn’t putting an International CPC on the table at least help to alleviate that issue.