Dearman Engines

“Saving The Earth” BBC R4 just now.
Compressed air engines for fridge trailers.
Good 15 minute listen, and info on www.
They don’t run on fresh air y’know!
Yeah?

Did I hear correctly that he had the idea in the sixties?

Yep, at least the idea was formed then.
inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/peo … ion-822608
“Air Hog” aeroplanes anyone?
Could even make a V8 so ?someone? could get a nice noise!,
I don’t know how big an air tank to power a fridge and whether it’ll be good for only a day or a week?
So long as green electricity is used to compress the gas? Looks good.
Some big names on company website.
cleancoldpower.com/

Franglais:
Some big names on company website.

They have lots of logos as partners, but out of all those i counted, only 3 were actual clients running trailers. Rest are several trailer makers, cryo gas companies, various “green” organisations and loads of universities.

No doubt there’ll be a load of greenies claiming “big oil” blocked the use of this engine, but usually it comes down to things not working as well as they should on paper.

Bottom line is most companies aren’t going to want to install new infrastructure such as nitrogen gas tanks when they have diesel on site. Unless the shareholders are getting tax incentives of course (from us tax payers).

As for this green electricity, we need a hell of a lot of that for everyone’s pet project since everything “green” seems to rely heavily on that to make up the “environmental impact” numbers.

Nice idea that will go precisely nowhere is my prediction.

A couple of years ago Mr Dearman was making all kinds of claims about unregulated diesel fridge engines pouring out toxic emissions that didn’t actually bear close examination as the engines in question are regulated, albeit until recently not as tightly as truck engines.

Then his company went bust with a lot of dispute and bad feeling

jonesday.com/en/practices/e … nistration

hence him operating out of a garage these days.

The world has moved on a bit. You can now get fridges powered by the truck’s PTO, an additional engine-driven generator, or by battery topped up by an axle-driven generator. Mostly lighter than the traditional diesel engine and its fuel tank, which was really only advantageous because it could run on ‘red’, but this concession is being phased out.

So, it’s an interesting idea, particularly as the ‘fuel’ is a byproduct of liquid oxygen production and the ‘exhaust’ provides additional cooling, but it’s clearly going to be a struggle to bring to market.