Deadly snowstorm kills 5 in New York

Hi Pat, keep safe out there

bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30118783

We often get their weather 8-14 days after them so be prepared.

Its been ■■■■ here this week. I got blasted by the crap in Quebec on Monday night and then in Michigan on Tuesday night. NY state around Buffalo got the worst by the sounds of it and I90 was/is closed. I’m sick of winter already!

They had almost 6’ of snow and there’s another two or three feet on the way :exclamation:

All you guys stay safe out there, there,s been a truck driver from Akron stuck in his truck on the I90 they say he maybe home today.

Glad I live over this side of the country least we get the chinook wind every now and then

Start paying for the fuel and then tell me you like Chinooks :exclamation:

Of all the tricks Mother Nature has up her sleeve, wind is the one that causes the most problems for us drivers, even if you don’t pay the bills.

It makes snow and ice ten times worse and the wind chill can turn a nice sunny day into a nightmare of frostbite and misery.

I hate the wind…unless it’s behind me, but that almost never happens, I went to AB earlier this week, straight into a west wind, came back into a south east wind, turned in Winnipeg straight back in a north west wind ffs :cry:

Ran over the scale at Headingley and I never got to 80km/h until I went past the truck breakers at St Francis Xavier, the wind was gusting up to 40mph according to the weather app on my phone.

I’m so glad I don’t have to tarp in those conditions :laughing:

Hi, Robinhood & NMM

Going by what I’ve seen on TV about the weather you are having i don’t envy you one bit. It’s conditions like that that put the word professional into the job. Take care out there.
Here in Lincolnshire we are struggling with temps. of 7 degrees at night and we are just dusting off the central heating,-----just saying like!!

Cheers Bassman

Try it when you got a combine or something acting as a sail lol. Wind on the Prairies can get harsh. Not a nice place in the winter

Bassman:
Hi, Robinhood & NMM

Going by what I’ve seen on TV about the weather you are having i don’t envy you one bit. It’s conditions like that that put the word professional into the job. Take care out there.
Here in Lincolnshire we are struggling with temps. of 7 degrees at night and we are just dusting off the central heating,-----just saying like!!

Cheers Bassman

This is what I’m dealing with today in Edmonton AB :sunglasses:

NMM

That’s warmer than we get in Summer!!
I thought you were suffering and I was being kind and considerate in sympathising.

Cheers Bassman

I loaded in Wisconsin yesterday afternoon and coming up over northern Michigan to Sault Ste Marie to cross back in to Canada it got down to -16’c. Sault Ste Marie was a hell hole of snow and ice, I attempted to stop for a red light and just skated on through in slow motion doing about 15mph, but 2 miles out of town heading east the roads suddenly became bone dry and have been ever since. Currently in North Bay, ON having a break before pushing on beyond Ottawa tonight. There better not be any more snow, I want to be home tomorrow night!

I find it strange how many actual Americans have so little knowledge of the country and the states etc, so many think that because Buffalo got slammed (and by the way it was only the southern half of the city that got it) all of NY was covered in snow, I got a text message Friday from someone “Are you enjoying all that snow ?”
When I pointed out that we had none she was shocked. I have been chatting with folk in various areas around the country in the years, when they ask where I live and I say ‘New York but in the mountains’ I get “There ain’t no mountains in New York”

I was with an Irish fellow driver and good friend once in the US and a girl asked where he came from, “Ireland” he replied…“Which island?” was her response…

Getting back on topic, my days in the sun were short lived :cry:

Yesterday I had to shut down as it was horrible out there, an ice storm followed by 10cm of snow and a mental wind meant that it was time to get off the road as soon as the sun went down.

I was an hour away from my destination and had a 5am booking, all being well I would’ve been there in time for a ten hour break, but ended up getting there at 10am, I got tipped by 1430, pulled out to go and pick up a preloaded trailer in our Saskatoon yard, but didn’t get a mile down the road before a Chinese bloke lost it as he came alongside me.

I was doing about 20km/h as I couldn’t go any faster on the icy road as it was just wheelspinning, he caught the corner of my moose bumper, luckily it didn’t do any damage at all, not to my truck anyway, his car had a couple of little digs and a broken light lense.

As we were both from outside the province the police had to be called and the bloke said I had rear ended him, unfortunately the cop saw his tracks in the snow, saw the damage to his car and the clean bit on my bumper, put two and two together and wrote the bloke a ticket for driving in an unsafe manner relative to the road conditions at a cost of $175 :laughing:

He also told the bloke to shut up when he tried pinning a load of existing damage on me, it was a scrape on the rear passenger side door which had already gone rusty! To be honest the state of the road was mostly to blame, but then again he was the only one of many cars and trucks that lost it, so maybe he deserved the ticket for that, he definitely deserved it for lying about the way it all happened and the cop made my day.

Filling out the accident report and putting an X in the no box asking if a ticket was issued for me and an X in the yes box for the other bloke was a pretty good feeling, but it did make me even later for my next job, which is another 5am drop, this time in Winnipeg, I’m three hours away and out of time, the roads have been covered in ice all bloody day so the run in tomorrow will be slower than usual and I’ll be three hours late before I leave.

Happy days…

NMM

Remember the old saying? “Better 5 minutes late in this world than 5 minutes early in the next”

Take care.

Bassman

You’re right there Bassman, I have no problem making the decision to shut down when it gets too bad. I would much rather regret stopping than regret carrying on and coming to grief.

It only takes a split second for it to go bad in a hurry, so when it gets to the point where luck is all that’s keeping things together then I’m looking for somewhere to park. That can be a problem in itself though, running in Canada can be pretty isolated, if I’m going to park I would rather be somewhere with facilities, just pulling up in the middle of nowhere in what could be a two day storm is not something I fancy at all, I have supplies and the proper clothes, but being marooned in a sea of white is going to be a bit scary after a while.

It makes sense to get updates on the weather up ahead before leaving a town or city, if it’s likely that there are going to be problems ahead, then it’s time to stay put and wait for the weather to turn.

I am as always dumbfounded by the weather here, to day it touched 70f after freezing our goolies off over the weekend, tomorrow is expected to be just as warm in the morning, cooling off by night and 6 to 12 inches of snow on Wednesday :open_mouth:

The way I look at it is that a load can always be rebooked and isn’t worth the risk